Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Feedback on Apple 17" Studio Display

Feedback on Apple 17" Studio Display
Tarcat
Forum Regular
Jul 5, 2003, 05:19 PM

I was wondering if anyone has feedback on the 17" LCD studio display. My old 17" CRT Studio display fell off a moving cart which screwed up the color so I wanted to get a new LCD replacement. From the apple boards it seems as if this monitors are trouble. I hear nothing but complaints of stuck pixels etc. How have you alls experences been? Also the apple forum had some complaints about driver trouble with the nvidia geForce2MX. Have others had this and is this something that will make this monitor incompatible with my old G4 (which will be switched for a G5 in the spring when specs go up and prices go down)

danielb0101
Jul 5, 2003, 06:18 PM

I have owned my 17" Apple Studio Display (LCD) since August 2001. I have had no problems with it, the colors are beautiful and the display is bright and sharp. There are no stuck or dead pixel and I have had zero driver issues with it as it is connected to an NVidia GeForce 2MX card, and I have used it from OS 9.2 through OS X v. 10.2.6. It also has a great viewing angle.

Now, almost two years later the only comments that I can make about it is that it seems to take a little longer to "warm up" then before. Now, after sleeping, it takes about 10 seconds before its fluorescent tubes are at their brightest, and the display makes a faint whine while it's warming up.

Recently I have notice what appears to be a spec of dust in-between some of the layers inside the panel. (LCD's have several layers comprising the make-up of it's innards). I believe this is from a recent move of mine which I packed it up and sent it a few hundred miles, across land and sea, to my new home.

Anyway, I love this display.

Tarcat  (op)
Forum Regular
Jul 5, 2003, 07:26 PM

Thanks. Yeah I think I probably will end up getting one. Moves do suck for monitors

jessejlt
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 5, 2003, 08:07 PM

I would look at alternative LCD's first. The current mac lineup is outdated, and overpriced. I suggest looking at the Samsung 172T, or perhaps the ViewSonic VP171P. They're about 200 bones cheaper than the mac 17", they have a quicker refresh rate (no ghosting), they're brighter, and the colors are a bit more true-to-life (a matter of opinion). Their styling isn't as nice as the mac's solution, but not 200 dollars worse.
jesse ;-)

mark9939
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 5, 2003, 08:20 PM

Originally posted by jessejlt:
I would look at alternative LCD's first. The current mac lineup is outdated
I agree, maybe you should wait til MWNY (or Creative Pro or whatever they call it) to buy an Apple display. There's been rumors about a 17" WS. I'd expect the line to get a face lift along w/ the G5.
MBP 1.83 GHz CD/iPod 30GB

Tarcat  (op)
Forum Regular
Jul 5, 2003, 09:47 PM

Yeah I've heard about the next ones. A widescreen wouldn't do much for me. I like the original aspect ratio better and don't like the 17" on the iMac. Normally I would wait with a new one a few months away, but my current CRT one is broken and the color is driving me crazy so I need to replace it. I don't mind spending the extra for the apple because I do like the style. I like the Formac,

Boochie
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 6, 2003, 12:49 PM

I've been quite happy with mine. Looks great, and no problems with fast-moving games that I've noticed.

The ADC connector is pretty handy too -- it's very convenient to have another USB port on my desk.

That said, as other posters have noted, there are better values for the money out there.

Tarcat  (op)
Forum Regular
Jul 6, 2003, 01:57 PM

I do like the ADC too on my old one. Now however i'm starting to think about the 20" as I always run mine at 1600 * 1024. Gotta be able to surf the web, play championship manager and watch the simpsons at the same time! Still whichever I pick, I will have a nice screen.

alpha rays max
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 6, 2003, 06:42 PM

I like my 17" ASD a lot even if it cost a bit more. Although, at this point, I think I would probably try to swing a 20". The extra resolution would be nice.

It does have one stuck pixel, but it's WAY down in the bottom left corner so I never notice it unless the screen is completely black and I'm actively looking for it.

Boochie
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 6, 2003, 07:32 PM

I'll second that sentiment -- I bought mine about 10 months ago. If I had the same decision to make today I'd go with the 20" apple monitor. More expensive than the Viewsonics and the like, but (in my opinion) more attractive on the desktop.

No dead/stuck pixels on mine.

Originally posted by alpha rays max:
I like my 17" ASD a lot even if it cost a bit more. Although, at this point, I think I would probably try to swing a 20". The extra resolution would be nice.

It does have one stuck pixel, but it's WAY down in the bottom left corner so I never notice it unless the screen is completely black and I'm actively looking for it.

RealMac
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 7, 2003, 02:31 AM

I got a 17" LCD way back when they were $999. Looking in retrospect, I'm really glad I sold it before the price drop.

It had one dead pixel, like a blue on a black background. The resolution I found was very limiting. 1280 x 1024 didn't cut it for someone like me who likes to have a ton of windows open. I was also used to a 19" viewsonic which I occasionally would run at 1600 x 1200, so that makes a difference too.

I now have a 20" cinema. It's sweet. I'd definitely try one in the store before laying $700+ on one. You might be happier with a competitor's offerings at a slightly lower price.
It is in the moments of decision that your destiny is shaped.
www.therealmac.net
MBA Graduate, Creative Thinker, Nice Guy

starman
Clinically Insane
Jul 7, 2003, 10:35 AM

Too small for me. Then again, I do Final Cut Pro work. I'd love the 20" but they're too friggin' expensive.

Mike

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

The Placid Casual
Professional Poster
Jul 7, 2003, 02:54 PM

I bought a 17" ASD when they were at �800 about 16 months ago now.

Overall it has been excellent, and I am still very, very happy with it, however over time a few issues have cropped up.

First off a pixel died. No biggie for me, you can hardly notice it.

Second and more annoying, the screen has begun to go 'yellow' in the top left corner! When it is fully warmed up, it is totally unnoticeable, however from cold there is a definite 'sepia/yellow' tone to left of the screen...

Bizarrely, I have noticed something else only recently... A certain lack of clarity and definition. I only noticed after seeing a 20" display and a 12" powerbook. Basically, you can't really see the 'pin stripes' in OS X and some of the *very* fine detail, especially in the menu bar... A strange issue, as it looks fine in isolation, but compared to the 20" and Powerbook it does seem a bit fuzzy...

As for screen space, I do some light photoshop work, and the resolution up to now has been fine, (maybe a little cramped), and the performance has been great. No driver issues, very reliable, a good purchase...

I would recommend one, but I would recommend a 20" more!

Peace,

Marc

escher
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 7, 2003, 03:21 PM

Originally posted by The Placid Casual:
I only noticed after seeing a 20" display and a 12" powerbook. Basically, you can't really see the 'pin stripes' in OS X and some of the *very* fine detail, especially in the menu bar...
Placid Casual: Is your display properly calibrated? I was never able to see the pinstripes in the Menu bar until I used SuperCal to calibrate my iBook's LCD.

Escher
"The only laptop computer that's useful is the one you have with you."
Until we get a 3 lbs sub-PowerBook, the 12-inch PowerBook will do.

The Placid Casual
Professional Poster
Jul 7, 2003, 06:01 PM

Originally posted by escher:
Placid Casual: Is your display properly calibrated? I was never able to see the pinstripes in the Menu bar until I used SuperCal to calibrate my iBook's LCD.

Escher
Escher, many thanks for the link, I'll try it out!

However, I think the fuzziness is a feature of the 17" displays, as loads of other people have noticed the same thing... There have been a good few threads about it over the last year or so...

I'll post back if I see an improvement!

Forum Links
Forum Rules