Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > New iMac and a few memory questions

New iMac and a few memory questions
milenko11
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 11, 2008, 12:18 AM

I'm getting ready to purchase a new iMac and I have a few memory related questions. Obviously the Apple memory is overpriced so I'm looking to get memory elsewhere.

My first question is do I need to get "Apple Certified" memory? I've seen varying prices for iMac memory and that seems to be the difference.

Second, Are both ram slots available to be upgraded or just the one?

Third, will I notice a huge difference between 2 gig and 4 gigs of memory. I do a little bit of photo editing so I know memory is important, but I just do it as a hobby and nothing really major.

Last, could I run 3 gigs of ram as a good mix of price/performance ratio? Would it be okay to purchase a 2 gig chip and use that with the apple supplied 1 gig?

ibook_steve
Jan 11, 2008, 01:10 AM

No, you don't need Apple certified memory. I always check Computer RAM | Laptop Memory | Memory Card | Secure Digital | Compact Flash | Memory Stick | first whenever I'm looking for memory.

Both slots are available, but at least one slot will be filled with whatever you get from Apple.

As has been stated many times here, you can never have too much memory. Buy what you can afford. Mac OS X loves memory. You'll always get better, noticeable performance with more.

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

milenko11  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 11, 2008, 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by ibook_steve View Post
No, you don't need Apple certified memory. I always check Computer RAM | Laptop Memory | Memory Card | Secure Digital | Compact Flash | Memory Stick | first whenever I'm looking for memory.

Both slots are available, but at least one slot will be filled with whatever you get from Apple.

As has been stated many times here, you can never have too much memory. Buy what you can afford. Mac OS X loves memory. You'll always get better, noticeable performance with more.

Steve
Thanks for the info. So it would be okay to use 3 gigs?

ghporter
Administrator
Jan 11, 2008, 09:51 AM

3GB is good, but 4 is better-and probably almost as inexpensive. I got my 2X2GB Kingston RAM from Newegg for about $100 with a rebate knocking it down to about $70, and I like Kingston enough to pay a little more for it. Running fine, by the way, and things are nicely "snappy" with that much RAM.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jan 11, 2008, 05:47 PM

At $70 for 4GB, why not?

milenko11  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 11, 2008, 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by mduell View Post
At $70 for 4GB, why not?
Well if thats the memory that'll work in a 20" iMac, then yeah, why not?

ph0ust
Senior User
Jan 11, 2008, 06:31 PM

do you all recommend getting dual channel? i notice that a lot of the ram varies in price based on that. thanks.

ibook_steve
Jan 11, 2008, 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by ph0ust View Post
do you all recommend getting dual channel? i notice that a lot of the ram varies in price based on that. thanks.
"Dual channel?" Not sure what you are referring to with regards to memory. Can you post links?

Steve

ph0ust
Senior User
Jan 11, 2008, 08:37 PM

here we go: Newegg.com - Mac Memory, Macintosh Memory, Memory for Apple Notebook, RAM Upgrade for Apple Notebook

some of the memory is referred to as dual channel. i looked it up on wikipedia and it says:
Dual-channel architecture DDR/DDR2 SDRAM describes a motherboard technology that effectively doubles data throughput from RAM to the memory controller. Dual-channel-enabled memory controllers utilize two 64-bit data channels, resulting in a total bandwidth of 128-bits, to move data from RAM to the CPU.
it sounds like this is the way to go.... but i figured it best to ask what others think. thanks.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jan 11, 2008, 09:28 PM

Originally Posted by milenko11 View Post
Well if thats the memory that'll work in a 20" iMac, then yeah, why not?
It is.

Originally Posted by ph0ust View Post
You don't need special memory for dual channel. Just putting in two of the same size module will give you dual channel performance.

Originally Posted by ibook_steve View Post
"Dual channel?" Not sure what you are referring to with regards to memory. Can you post links?
Dual channel uses interleaving between two memory channels (banks of RAM) to improve bandwidth.

ibook_steve
Jan 11, 2008, 10:13 PM

Ah. I hadn't heard it referred to as dual channel, only as pairing.

Steve

milenko11  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 13, 2008, 12:29 AM

While I have you guys here I have another question. Currently I have an iSub with those small Harmon speakers (i think thats what they were, small, clear, sphere ones) and they speakers are going out on my, but I think the iSub is fine. Can I just use another set of speakers with the new iMac and use my sub?

Mr. Anderson
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 17, 2008, 01:15 PM

I'm not certain but I think the iSub is no longer supported with Leopard. Perhaps somebody with a bit more expertise could confirm or deny this?

Shamuuu
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 22, 2008, 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
3GB is good, but 4 is better-and probably almost as inexpensive. I got my 2X2GB Kingston RAM from Newegg for about $100 with a rebate knocking it down to about $70, and I like Kingston enough to pay a little more for it. Running fine, by the way, and things are nicely "snappy" with that much RAM.
Hello there,
Is this the 4GB Kingston kit ($109.99) that you bought from Newegg:

Kingston 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR2 667 (PC2 5300) Dual Channel Kit Memory for Apple Notebook Model KTA-MB667K2/4G - Retail

I only ask since it says "Apple Notebook Model KTA-MB667K2/4G" (even though that's what Kingston's website recommended for an iMac) and I'm looking to purchase a new iMac 20-inch, 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo (Model MA877LL). Maybe they use the same RAM... I'm just not certain.

Also, being that it would be my first iMac... is the RAM easy to swap if I buy the 1GB iMac from Apple, and then the RAM above from Newegg?

Thank you... this would be a great deal, since the 4GB kit from Apple adds $850.00. Wow!
S

ghporter
Administrator
Jan 23, 2008, 10:06 AM

No, I just bought two of this Kingston 2GB stick. You'll see that the specs are the same, and you don't wind up paying extra for the "Mac memory" label.

MacinTommy
Mac Elite
Jan 23, 2008, 10:50 AM

Hey I'm buying an iMac very soon too.. Should I worry about the whole "screen gradient" issue? What are the odds of me getting a iMac (20inch latest gen) with this screen issue?

ghporter
Administrator
Jan 23, 2008, 02:12 PM

I don't know about the odds, but while mine (purchased the day after they came out) has it, it's kind of hard to notice unless you're looking for it-and then it's pretty mild.

milenko11  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 28, 2008, 06:28 PM

One last questions guys,

Should I order one today or wait? I know if you wait for the next release, you will always be waiting. Is there anything to suggest updates within the next month.

harbinger75
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 28, 2008, 06:50 PM

I was just getting ready to purchase an iMac (couldn't get a MBP with the $$$ I got from taxes ), and was going to max it out as well. I've seen quite a few people praise OWC for their lifetime warranty and its reliability.

Other than the good Kingston deals at newegg (I've used Kingston a lot in the past and have had good luck with it, too), is there any reason NOT to buy OWC?
the geek source
Twitter: @thegeeksource

milenko11  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 28, 2008, 07:31 PM

Well I ordered it. I can't wait.

harbinger75
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 28, 2008, 09:00 PM

Definitely let us know how it all goes!

the geek source

bbales
Mac Elite
Jan 29, 2008, 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by harbinger75 View Post
I was just getting ready to purchase an iMac (couldn't get a MBP with the $$$ I got from taxes ), and was going to max it out as well. I've seen quite a few people praise OWC for their lifetime warranty and its reliability.

Other than the good Kingston deals at newegg (I've used Kingston a lot in the past and have had good luck with it, too), is there any reason NOT to buy OWC?
My extra memory is from OWC. Not a bit of a problem. I was stupid and waited MONTHS to put it in (I was so leery of having to put my iMac on its pretty, glossy bace...). It made a world of difference.
Anyway, the OWC memory has been fine.

harbinger75
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 29, 2008, 09:14 PM

My extra memory is from OWC. Not a bit of a problem. I was stupid and waited MONTHS to put it in (I was so leery of having to put my iMac on its pretty, glossy bace...). It made a world of difference.
Anyway, the OWC memory has been fine.
That is good to hear. Actually, I haven't heard anything negative about OWC memory yet, so I will probably bust out a 2GBx2 config once I get the iMac.

I'm having a lot of difficulty actually having the patience to wait until my income tax money hits my account...but I know once I do, it will all be worth it.
the geek source

MacinTommy
Mac Elite
Jan 29, 2008, 10:14 PM

You sound as impatient as I am. I ordered my iMac Sunday (put it on a card until I can pay part of it off with my returns) and it will be arriving tomorrow... The question is: Do I stay home from work/class so I don't miss the delivery?

harbinger75
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 29, 2008, 10:21 PM

You sound as impatient as I am. I ordered my iMac Sunday (put it on a card until I can pay part of it off with my returns) and it will be arriving tomorrow... The question is: Do I stay home from work/class so I don't miss the delivery?
Haha! I actually LOL'ed when I read that. I was wondering the EXACT same thing about it! I was throwing around the idea of just scheduling that day off OR having it delivered to my office. I'm not sure which one I'll do yet, since it will be Feb. 9th until the money hits my account, then order/delivery time after that.
the geek source

milenko11  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 30, 2008, 06:10 PM

Well I received my iMac today and I love it. Since this is my first Intel mac, I was excited to install XP for the occasional time that I can't use OS X. However, my install of XP starts out just fine, but then when it comes time to hit Enter to continue the install, my keyboard doesn't work. It seems as if the Windows install just isn't recognizing my keyboard. Any suggestions?

ghporter
Administrator
Jan 30, 2008, 09:18 PM

Yeah, take the question to the Alternative OS forum (which you did).

MacinTommy
Mac Elite
Jan 31, 2008, 02:26 PM

I got my iMac today!!! I'm all smiles... I should actually be at work right now but I started loading my music so I called and said I would be late....

Forum Links
Forum Rules