Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > sleep problems

sleep problems
Blue Flame
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 10, 2004, 01:46 PM

just had a problem, second time it's happened. I put my computer to sleep and it wouldn't wake up. It shuts off completely and won't turn back on unless you take the battery out, put it back in and press the start button. It happened last night when i put it to sleep and then tried to start it this morning, and it's happened once before in class where it went to sleep, but actually turned off by itself and wouldn't boot back up unless the battery was removed.

Anyone heard of this problem/know what the solution is? Computer details are as follows:

17" 1.5ghz PB, 1GB of RAM, running 10.3.4 with all the updates.

Cheers,
Andrew

himself
Mac Elite
Jun 10, 2004, 08:03 PM

I've never experienced this before, but you should be able to restart your machine without removing and replacing the battery and all... have you tried a hard re-start (ctrl+apple+power), or holding down the power button for ten seconds? It sounds like your machine froze up while in sleep, since if it shut down, simply pressing the power button should start it back up. Do you have any modifications to your system? Also, if you leave certain applications running when you put it to sleep, it may freeze your system. Repairing permissions and/or clearing the caches may fix the problem.
"Bill Gates can't guarantee Windows... how can you guarantee my safety?"
-John Crichton

nate_02
Senior User
Jun 10, 2004, 11:21 PM

I've had a strange problem with sleeping also. When I close my PB's lid, the little white light doesn't come on like it usually does to indicate that it is sleeping. When I open the lid, it won't wake up, but if I put my ear to the computer, it is still running. I have to hold down the power button and force restart it to make it wake up.

I've tried resetting PMU, PRAM, permissions, repairing disk (which had some major problems) and it still does it every now and then. I'm kinda thinking I just need to reload OS X.
-nate

Blue Flame  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 10, 2004, 11:36 PM

nate, that sounds like what's happening to me.......very strange.....

xCubex
Banned
Jun 11, 2004, 12:01 AM

I had the exact same problem on my 1.5 gig 17inc PB. Went to local Apple store and they had to replace the whole unit. I got a new one and had the same problem. Tried new battery, same thing. Then the logic board fails, returned and got another PB. This time the video card was defective, and I'm waiting for a replacement right now. This is becoming a pain in the ass and I'm sick of it.

Blue Flame  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 11, 2004, 01:54 AM

wow, i hope that's not the case with me..........i'll take it in to get checked out next week....

Forum Links
Forum Rules