Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Superbowl 2009

View Poll Results: Who will win?
Poll Options:
Arizona Cardinals 15 votes (42.86%)
Pittsburgh Steelers 20 votes (57.14%)
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll
Superbowl 2009
Rumor
Jan 18, 2009, 11:38 PM

Who do you think is going to win?
I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

d4nth3m4n
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 18, 2009, 11:48 PM

cardinals are going to get mauled.

waxcrash
Mac Elite
Jan 18, 2009, 11:50 PM

Ditka

Rumor  (op)
Jan 18, 2009, 11:50 PM

I.Hate.The.Steelers.

The shall lose horribly.

Dork.
Professional Poster
Jan 19, 2009, 01:07 AM

It depends on which Cardinals team shows up, the good one of the bad one....

gofridge
Forum Regular
Jan 19, 2009, 01:14 AM

gofridge is rooting for the Steelers. Not only because gofridge is angry at the Cardinals for defeating the Eagles, but also because gofridge hates the Cardinals for historical reasons.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jan 19, 2009, 02:53 AM

The Cardinals certainly played more convincing.

Warner with a 145.7 QB rating today certainly beat Rothlisberger (84.7).

Joe Flacco with a QB rating of 18.2 ?

-t

gradient
Mac Elite
Jan 19, 2009, 03:05 AM

I'm pulling for the Cardinals but I voted for the Steelers as realistically I don't think that the Cards' one dimensional offense is going to hold up against a defense as strong as Pittsburgh has.

GSixZero
Mac Elite
Jan 19, 2009, 03:24 AM

Originally Posted by gradient View Post
I'm pulling for the Cardinals but I voted for the Steelers as realistically I don't think that the Cards' one dimensional offense is going to hold up against a defense as strong as Pittsburgh has.
I don't necessarily disagree, but the Steelers were more one dimensional today that the cardinals were.

Pittsburgh: 275 total yards, 223 yds passing/ 52 yds rushing
Arizona: 369 total yards, 267 yds passing / 102 yds rushing

ImpulseResponse

gradient
Mac Elite
Jan 19, 2009, 05:08 AM

Originally Posted by GSixZero View Post
I don't necessarily disagree, but the Steelers were more one dimensional today that the cardinals were.

Pittsburgh: 275 total yards, 223 yds passing/ 52 yds rushing
Arizona: 369 total yards, 267 yds passing / 102 yds rushing
True, but the big thing for me is that the Cards are relying on one receiver way too much (though Fitzgerald IS an amazing receiver, so all is not lost), which concerns me. They've gotten away with it so far this playoff season but I see the Steelers being able to shut down that #1 passing option more effectively then Arizona's last three opponents. The Steelers should also be tougher against the run then the Eagles where, as well.

Don't get me wrong, though, I want the Cards to win dearly and they do have the ability to pull it out. I just think that the smart money, unfortunately, is on Pittsburgh.

That said, I haven't heard what the latest on Hines Ward's injury is. If he's banged up, it could change things a bit.

thunderous_funker
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 19, 2009, 09:59 AM

Putting WAAAY to much into the numbers. The Steelers offense wasn't pretty today, but they were playing arguably the toughest defense in the league (outside their own). Not to mention a fierce divisional rival and, lest we forget, for a THIRD TIME this season. Its hard to get traction on the Ravens D anyway, without the extra emotion and the fact that they know the Steelers better than anyone.

The Eagles D was utterly one-dimensional. They brought sell-out blitz after sell-out blitz leaving their questionable d-backs on an island against the best receivers in the league. Precisely the kind of no-brainer that Andy Reid teams are becoming known for.

The Steelers harassed Flacko all night, and rarely brought more than 5 players. Granted, Warner is not easily rattled, but he'll be facing a D that doesn't just blitz, they actually COVER downfield while they chase you around. Whole different ballgame.
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die." -- Hunter S. Thompson

thunderous_funker
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 19, 2009, 10:01 AM

The only thing better than beating the Ravens is listening to their fans whine and moan about refs and cheap hits. LOL. Talk about irony.

edited to add: no one has done that here yet, I was reacting to other forums :->
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die." -- Hunter S. Thompson

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jan 19, 2009, 11:43 AM

I'm sure the Steelers will win, but I'd like the Cardinals to win instead.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 19, 2009, 12:35 PM

( Last edited by Chongo; Jan 20, 2009 at 01:29 AM. )
45/47

Nodnarb
Mac Elite
Jan 19, 2009, 01:04 PM

Steelers all the way.

Luca Rescigno
Professional Poster
Jan 19, 2009, 01:38 PM

I hate the Steelers too.

Can't wait to see all their fans crying when they get pecked to death by the bird.

"That's Mama Luigi to you, Mario!" *wheeze*

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jan 19, 2009, 03:01 PM

Anyone else amazed by the way the Cardinal's fans are suddenly the loudest and most dedicated supporters in the NFL after years of hiding?

I'm pulling for the Cards, but it's still funny.

Rumor  (op)
Jan 19, 2009, 03:15 PM

That happens almost anytime a team makes it to the Superbowl, especially when they haven't been in 60, 70 years?

Luca Rescigno
Professional Poster
Jan 19, 2009, 03:30 PM

Oh well, better than Cubs fans. Their team has been good enough to at least make the playoffs several times in the past century, but they've never been able to actually win. So with the Cardinals, you have all these fans coming out of the woodwork. But with the Cubs, their fans have to come out and say "THIS year is the year!" every single year. Much more annoying. Cards fans know their team has sucked for a long time. Cubs fans aren't aware that their team sucks.

"That's Mama Luigi to you, Mario!" *wheeze*

lavar78
Professional Poster
Jan 19, 2009, 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by thunderous_funker View Post
The Eagles D was utterly one-dimensional. They brought sell-out blitz after sell-out blitz leaving their questionable d-backs on an island against the best receivers in the league. Precisely the kind of no-brainer that Andy Reid teams are becoming known for.
WTF are you smoking? The Eagles have the best secondary in the entire league. Brian Dawkins has lost a little in his old age, but there isn't another team with 4 starters as good. Sheldon Brown, their #2 CB, gave up his first passing TD yesterday of the entire season! They didn't deliver in this game (at all), but the Eagles defense was #3 in the league behind Pittsburgh and Baltimore for a reason. You aren't giving Fitzgerald enough credit for his great individual effort.

"I'm virtually bursting with adequatulence!" - Bill McNeal, NewsRadio

abbaZaba
Mac Elite
Jan 19, 2009, 04:34 PM

this isn't going to be a contest. we'll be starting on the other hand now.

d4nth3m4n
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 19, 2009, 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by Rumor View Post
That happens almost anytime a team makes it to the Superbowl, especially when they haven't been in 60, 70 years?
how about never?

i watched the game in albuquerque yesterday. i'm still not convinced that cardinals fans exist- i'm of the opinion that the only reason the cardinals fill seats is to see the visiting team.

took a 7am flight from phoenix to philly, there were some LONG faces on that flight.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jan 19, 2009, 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by d4nth3m4n View Post
...i'm of the opinion that the only reason the cardinals fill seats is to see the visiting team.
Interesting sig.

Do you remember when the Aikman-era Cowboys used to visit Arizona and there would be twice as many blue shirts in the stadium as there were red?

They called it a Dallas home game every time the two teams met.

Rumor  (op)
Jan 19, 2009, 10:13 PM

Originally Posted by d4nth3m4n View Post
how about never?

i watched the game in albuquerque yesterday. i'm still not convinced that cardinals fans exist- i'm of the opinion that the only reason the cardinals fill seats is to see the visiting team.

took a 7am flight from phoenix to philly, there were some LONG faces on that flight.
1947, but at the time it wasn't called the Superbowl.

d4nth3m4n
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 19, 2009, 10:23 PM

ergo- they've never been to a superbowl.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 20, 2009, 02:23 AM

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
Interesting sig.

Do you remember when the Aikman-era Cowboys used to visit Arizona and there would be twice as many blue shirts in the stadium as there were red?

They called it a Dallas home game every time the two teams met.
That was when they played in Sun Devil Stadium and had at most 35K season ticket holders in a stadium that held 75K. It was closer and less expensive for the El Paso fans to charter busses and drive to Phoenix. The can't do that anymore The first two seasons, season tickets were sold out (there were some Super Bowl squatters), and there are ā‰ˆ5K out of 60K open seats now. That leaves little room for out of town fans anymore We still have our 14/15 out 16 games fans, but they are drowned out now.
45/47

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jan 20, 2009, 02:45 AM

Originally Posted by Chongo View Post
That was when they played in Sun Devil Stadium and had at most 35K season ticket holders in a stadium that held 75K. It was closer and less expensive for the El Paso fans to charter busses and drive to Phoenix. The can't do that anymore The first two seasons, season tickets were sold out (there were some Super Bowl squatters), and there are ā‰ˆ5K out of 60K open seats now. That leaves little room for out of town fans anymore We still have our 14/15 out 16 games fans, but they are drowned out now.
*sigh*

...it's a sad day when the Cards are in the Super Bowl and my 'Boys weren't even in the playoffs.

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 20, 2009, 02:48 AM

Anyone else amazed by the way the Cardinal's fans are suddenly the loudest and most dedicated supporters in the NFL after years of hiding?

I'm pulling for the Cards, but it's still funny.
"I'm going to ask you this only once. Do you, or do you not, know about the bird? Because everybody's heard that the bird is the word..."

"One ticket to Washington, please. I have a date with destiny."

Maflynn
Professional Poster
Jan 20, 2009, 09:35 AM

Pittsburgh all the way.

I kind of like both teams for different reasons, I've always been a fan of the steelers but you have to give Arizona some props and I'd like to see them win. Either way, I hope it will be a fun game to watch.
~Mike

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Jan 20, 2009, 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by Maflynn View Post
Pittsburgh all the way.

I kind of like both teams for different reasons, I've always been a fan of the steelers but you have to give Arizona some props and I'd like to see them win. Either way, I hope it will be a fun game to watch.
Totally agreed. The Cards have shown up with some pretty awesome football of late, but I just don't get the impression that they're quite as strong or as well rounded a team as the Steelers.

thunderous_funker
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 20, 2009, 10:32 PM

Originally Posted by lavar78 View Post
WTF are you smoking? The Eagles have the best secondary in the entire league. Brian Dawkins has lost a little in his old age, but there isn't another team with 4 starters as good. Sheldon Brown, their #2 CB, gave up his first passing TD yesterday of the entire season! They didn't deliver in this game (at all), but the Eagles defense was #3 in the league behind Pittsburgh and Baltimore for a reason. You aren't giving Fitzgerald enough credit for his great individual effort.
I think their d-backs are over-rated. They've been protected by that ludicrous pass rush which usually does the job before offenses can do anything. They were in man coverage the entire first half because of the blitz packages and got burned. Granted, being burned by Fitzgerald doesn't make you a slouch. The second half blitzes were more effective because they left people in coverage and made Warner go through progression.

That said, I also think the Steelers d-backs are not great cover guys. They never have been. They play an organized zone that causes qb's to think longer than they have time for or to force it into tight spots. They don't go man to man and shut you down a whole lot. That's the smarter way to defend Warner because he doesn't like to hold the ball. He gets rid of it so fast that if you sellout like the Eagles did, they just inside slant you death or dump off right behind your blitz.

lavar78
Professional Poster
Jan 20, 2009, 11:23 PM

Originally Posted by thunderous_funker View Post
I think their d-backs are over-rated. They've been protected by that ludicrous pass rush which usually does the job before offenses can do anything.
I suspect you haven't watched many Eagles games. First of all, the defensive backs play a huge role in many of the blitzes they use. Secondly, "overrated" is an interesting term to use. Dawkins's Pro Bowl career speaks for itself. Asante Samuel has taken more postseason INTs back for TDs than anyone. Sheldon Brown didn't allow any TDs in the regular season. Quinton Mikell is the team's leading tackler and was voted 2nd Team All-Pro. I'd be interested to know what team's secondary you think is better. Brown doesn't catch interceptions well and Samuel isn't a great tackler, but those are the only real holes for the group.

They were in man coverage the entire first half because of the blitz packages and got burned. Granted, being burned by Fitzgerald doesn't make you a slouch. The second half blitzes were more effective because they left people in coverage and made Warner go through progression.
What game were you watching? Fitzgerald's first TD came against zone coverage. On his second, he was man-to-man on rookie backup safety Demps. Anyway, the Eagles linebackers were abused more than the secondary.

That said, I also think the Steelers d-backs are not great cover guys. They never have been. They play an organized zone that causes qb's to think longer than they have time for or to force it into tight spots. They don't go man to man and shut you down a whole lot. That's the smarter way to defend Warner because he doesn't like to hold the ball. He gets rid of it so fast that if you sellout like the Eagles did, they just inside slant you death or dump off right behind your blitz.
Again, you're not giving the Cardinals enough credit. The Eagles forced Warner into 3 turnovers on Thanksgiving, so it's not like they don't know how to play against him. The bottom line is that the Cardinals were (slightly) better this Sunday.

klb5090
Mac Elite
Jan 20, 2009, 11:23 PM

Steelers <End Thread>

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jan 21, 2009, 03:25 AM

Originally Posted by SpaceMonkey View Post
"I'm going to ask you this only once. Do you, or do you not, know about the bird? Because everybody's heard that the bird is the word..."
I had to Google search that.

I'm never cool.

lavar78
Professional Poster
Jan 21, 2009, 07:19 AM

I had to Google search that.

I'm never cool.

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Jan 21, 2009, 08:19 AM

I'm rooting for the Cardinals, but I won't mind if the Steelers win the day.
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 27, 2009, 04:08 PM

45/47

Rumor  (op)
Feb 1, 2009, 08:59 PM

Instead of creating a new thread, we can continue here.

Game has been alright so far. However, yet another bad call gives the Steelers a touchdown. The ball was down half a yard before the end zone. It should have been pulled.

gofridge
Forum Regular
Feb 1, 2009, 11:26 PM

gofridge thanks the Steelers for punishing the Cardinals for defeating the Eagles and continuing the punishment of the Cardinals for once being a Chicago NFL team that is not the Bears.

gofridge is also thankful that no one who plays for the Cardinals or Steelers endorses an expensive watch brand.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Feb 1, 2009, 11:32 PM

I'm glad I tuned in for the last minute. Whoever caught the Steeler's TD pass deserves every cent he earns.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 1, 2009, 11:38 PM

Damn great game!

Couple questionable calls each way, but I think they were mostly fair.

Didn't stay to see who got the MVP... I think Big Ben deserved, but Santanio has to have his name in there too without doubt.

greg
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

zro
Mac Elite
Feb 1, 2009, 11:40 PM

So I take it the Steelers won?

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Feb 1, 2009, 11:46 PM

Originally Posted by zro View Post
So I take it the Steelers won?
That they did and deservedly so. The Cardinals are a good team and champion material, but their strategy failed completely.

Seemed they turned to the tried and tested strategy that brought them to the Superbowl in the fourth quarter, but by then it was too late.
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

Rumor  (op)
Feb 1, 2009, 11:48 PM

Originally Posted by ShortcutToMoncton View Post
Damn great game!

Couple questionable calls each way, but I think they were mostly fair.

Didn't stay to see who got the MVP... I think Big Ben deserved, but Santanio has to have his name in there too without doubt.

greg
There was close to 100 yards of penalties against the Cardinals. At least a third were more than questionable.

Warner would be my pick as MVP over Roethlisberger. Warner was much more impressive against a stronger defense.

rickey939
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 1, 2009, 11:55 PM

Fun game.

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
Feb 1, 2009, 11:56 PM

Originally Posted by voodoo View Post
That they did and deservedly so. The Cardinals are a good team and champion material, but their strategy failed completely.
Their strategy was fine. Mistakes is why they lost the game. Penalties and a critical turnover. Regardless it was a good game, thats all I ask for as I like both teams but was pulling for the Cards. Holmes deserved the MVP, big Ben came up with some huge plays as well. Great win, and I must say Mike Tomlin is one hell of a coach.

Dork.
Professional Poster
Feb 2, 2009, 12:09 AM

Originally Posted by Rumor View Post
Warner would be my pick as MVP over Roethlisberger. Warner was much more impressive against a stronger defense.
He was much more impressive, but there is that simple matter of the interception that was run back. It was a stupid throw, and was the difference in the game. To be honest, I'm surprised the Cardinals bounced back after a bad play like that.

lavar78
Professional Poster
Feb 2, 2009, 12:27 AM

Originally Posted by Dork. View Post
He was much more impressive, but there is that simple matter of the interception that was run back. It was a stupid throw, and was the difference in the game. To be honest, I'm surprised the Cardinals bounced back after a bad play like that.
It wasn't a stupid throw so much as a great defensive call and play. They tricked him. Harrison showed blitz, then dropped back right into the passing lane. If anything, they should be blamed for calling a slant with that little time in the half instead of, oh, I don't know... the fade to Fitzgerald that's damn near unstoppable.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 2, 2009, 12:39 AM

I'm still proud of my team, that and the Cowpies and 69's are now behind the Stealers. (and they didn't covet the spread!)
45/47

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Feb 2, 2009, 12:59 AM

I have mixed feelings. I wanted the Cards to win, but I made $200 on the game...
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

Forum Links
Forum Rules