Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Macbook Pro to HDTV: DVI to VGA or HDMI?

Macbook Pro to HDTV: DVI to VGA or HDMI?
Nodnarb
Mac Elite
May 19, 2009, 02:10 AM

Hi,

I have a macbook pro (the last generation, with the DVI port, not the minidisplay port.

My question is, to hook up to an HDTV, would I want to use the included DVI -> VGA adapter, then get VGA -> VGA to plug into the back of my tv on the "PC" port (tried this on another TV and it looked fine, didn't get to play too much though)

Or, should I get a DVI -> HDMI cable and plug it into an HDMI port on the TV.

The TV will be a 37" HDTV. Which way will I get a better picture for DVDs/Movies and for using it as an external monitor for the Mac.

Any help would be much appreciated,

Nodnarb

Simon
Posting Junkie
May 19, 2009, 02:30 AM

Originally Posted by Nodnarb View Post
That's what you want.

Converting to analog (VGA) would end up reducing video quality (the TV will have to convert the analog signal back to digital). HDMI's video signal OTOH is basically DVI so that's the way to go.

If you run into any trouble getting the Mac to select the TV's native resolution try something like SwitchResX.

Nodnarb  (op)
Mac Elite
May 19, 2009, 02:38 AM

Thanks.

So what about the audio then?

On the HDTV, next to the "PC" port (the VGA port), they have an audio in from the computer.

I don't have surround sound yet (in college, just bought my first HDTV for a monitor/TV/etc.) so the sound would either need to align with the HDMI input somehow, or I guess I'd need some kind of external speakers?

That's all assuming that I'm right in believing that the HDMI cable won't transfer the audio from the computer, since it's coming from the DVI port (which is all video?)

What is my best option?

Thanks again for the help.

Simon
Posting Junkie
May 19, 2009, 02:50 AM

You need to transfer the audio from the computer to the TV separately with something like an headphone->RCA cable.

Salty
Professional Poster
May 19, 2009, 10:07 AM

Yah Audio should be like a standard Y cable you can pick up at Radio Shack.

Nodnarb  (op)
Mac Elite
May 19, 2009, 11:11 AM

Alright cool thanks guys.

maxx9photo
Dedicated MacNNer
May 19, 2009, 11:55 AM

Get the Belkin from Apple store is the cheapest HDMI to DVI cable around, I think I got for $20 plus tax.

Simon
Posting Junkie
May 19, 2009, 12:04 PM

SVass
Mac Elite
May 19, 2009, 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by Nodnarb View Post
Hi,
I have a macbook pro (the last generation, with the DVI port, not the minidisplay port.
My question is, to hook up to an HDTV, would I want to use the included DVI -> VGA adapter, then get VGA -> VGA to plug into the back of my tv on the "PC" port (tried this on another TV and it looked fine, didn't get to play too much though)
The TV will be a 37" HDTV. Which way will I get a better picture for DVDs/Movies and for using it as an external monitor for the Mac.
Any help would be much appreciated,

Nodnarb
Since I have a MacBook Pro connected to a BenQ 24 inch 1080p monitor via a DVI to DVI cable, I thought that I should add a few comments even though the previous advice is generally good. Some of the older MacBooks may have a defective graphics chip that may prevent them from driving an external display. The warranty was extended by Apple to two years; but, it expires in June, so test quickly!
As I note my display is 1080p and is being driven at 1920 by 1200 using no special software or drivers.
sam

Nodnarb  (op)
Mac Elite
May 21, 2009, 01:39 PM

Well I've already used a display via the DVI to VGA cable, so if that works I should be in the clear right?

Thanks for the link Simon.

Why do the TV manufacturers put VGA down as the "PC" input if that's not the best way to do it? Any logical reason, or was that just at some point referred to as the "default" PC/TV standard?

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
May 21, 2009, 02:34 PM

Because a large number of cheap PCs still don't come with a modern video connector.

VGA is ubiquitous.

Nodnarb  (op)
Mac Elite
May 22, 2009, 12:08 AM

Gotcha.

Ok so the cable came in today. I'm testing it on my parents TV (a 56", mine won't be any bigger than 37"). How do I know which is the best resolution to use?

The one I had chosen (can't remember exactly, I'm at my place not theirs right now) was the biggest one, but I couldn't see the very top of the screen on the TV, where the menu bar is.

Simon, I checked out that link you gave me, only poked around for a minute or so (again, can only do this at my parents place on there TV until I get mine in a few days...).

How do I pick the optimal resolution for my TV, or any HDTV I plug into for that matter.

Thanks again for all the help guys, I'm completely new at all this display stuff, pretty much only ever used a laptop or desktop display as is, trying to make an HDTV work as a nice TV output for the laptop, but also for just a big external monitor and it's a bit harder than I'd thought!

Simon
Posting Junkie
May 22, 2009, 02:53 AM

The optimum resolution will be the TV's native resolution. You need to find out what that is. If it's 1080p you'll want that. If you instead chose something like 1920x1200 (which is more common on computer displays) you'll get either distortion or cropping on the TV. If Leopard doesn't offer the resolution you need, that's when something like SwitchResX comes into play.

Nodnarb  (op)
Mac Elite
May 22, 2009, 11:54 AM

Great. Thanks a bunch.

Forum Links
Forum Rules