Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Snow Leopard and Spotlight

Snow Leopard and Spotlight
PHoynak
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 31, 2009, 11:10 AM

Since I installed Snow Leopard Spotlight has been indexing my main drive for over 24 hours. I do have about 330 GB of space used on the drive but should it take this long? I checked Activity Monitor and the MDS process is using about 1/2 of my CPU cycles. I already added the drive in the privacy tab to rebuild the database but that didnt work. Spotless is not Snow Leopard compatible yet. What else can I try?

ApertureValue
Forum Regular
Aug 31, 2009, 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by PHoynak View Post
Since I installed Snow Leopard Spotlight has been indexing my main drive for over 24 hours. I do have about 330 GB of space used on the drive but should it take this long? I checked Activity Monitor and the MDS process is using about 1/2 of my CPU cycles. I already added the drive in the privacy tab to rebuild the database but that didnt work. Spotless is not Snow Leopard compatible yet. What else can I try?
Actually, Spotless 3.0 came out today:

Spotless
MacBook Pro 2.66GHz | iPhone 3G | 
Canon EOS 7D | EF-S 18-135mm IS | 580EXII

Flickr
Tome Curator

PHoynak  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 31, 2009, 11:42 AM

Thanks, I just downloaded it and hope this works... so far everything seems the same... when I click on the spotlight icon in the menubar it says indexing but it again does not say how long it should take.

PHoynak  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 1, 2009, 11:07 PM

Well it has been indexing for about 30 hours now..... Could this possibly be ok?

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Sep 1, 2009, 11:17 PM

Originally Posted by PHoynak View Post
Well it has been indexing for about 30 hours now..... Could this possibly be ok?
I dunno.

But it would depend on what kind of documents you have. 330GB of movies shouldn't take that long. 330GB of PDFs probably yes.

-t

PHoynak  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 1, 2009, 11:21 PM

I have about 6000 songs and 150 GB of movies, TV shows, etc..... The weird thing is that is does not even tell me how long it has left to go.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Sep 1, 2009, 11:45 PM

Yeah, that sounds like it should have been done by now. Maybe you need to abort and try to restart the whole thing.

-t

PHoynak  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 2, 2009, 12:28 AM

I stopped it twice and each time it does the same thing... I'm stumped and don't know what to try next......

PHoynak  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 6, 2009, 02:53 PM

I looked at the Activity Monitor and the Console and got the following error....
9/6/09 1:58:45 AM mds[48313] (Error) Task: <MDSFetchTask: 0xd146680>{taskID:0x00003069 age:<1ms} couldn't fetch attributes: (os/kern) object terminated

What does this mean?? For now I again used Spotless to turn off Spotlight... I also did repair my permissions and keep getting the following....

Warning: SUID file "System/Library/CoreServices/RemoteManagement/ARDAgent.app/Contents/MacOS/ARDAgent" has been modified and will not be repaired.

I am stumped...

Forum Links
Forum Rules