Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Mac News > Rumor has $330, 4.5-inch plastic iPhone in 2014

Rumor has $330, 4.5-inch plastic iPhone in 2014
NewsPoster
MacNN Staff
Feb 28, 2013, 05:56 PM

Apple is hoping to ship a $330, 4.5-inch plastic iPhone in 2014, says Japanese site Macotakara. The phone was allegedly slated to ship this year but delayed for unspecified reasons. The polycarbonate plastic in the phone is expected to be similar to the type used in the discontinued white MacBook, and thicker than the aluminum and glass used for the iPhone 5, in order to increase durability.

Scaling up to 4.5 inches would also give the plastic phone a bigger screen than the iPhone 5, which costs at least $649 unlocked. Apple might, however, be planning to increase the size of the 2014 flagship iPhone as well, simultaneously giving it a better processor and more memory than any cheaper sibling. Regarding Apple's 2013 plans, Macotakara indicates that Apple may be looking to add a dual-flash LED module to the next iPhone. The two flashes would reportedly be stacked on top of each other, to one side of the camera lens. It could help alleviate a recurring complaint about cellphone flashes, which is their weak output.

juehoe
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 28, 2013, 10:18 PM

I am more waiting for an iPhone Nano, with basic phone capabilities. My main iOS device is an iPad Mini which I take with me every day. I like my iPhone 5, too - but I really don't need 2 full iOS devices.

An iPad Mini with phone capabilities would be fine - but I don't like Bluetooth headsets and holding the iPad Mini like a standard phone is ridiculous.

So my dream would be I small, stylish phone "companion" with functions like the rumoured iWatch. This device would have the SIM card, so that I could be used without the iPad, too.

Is there are market for this...?

blahblahbber
Banned
Mar 2, 2013, 12:40 AM

die crApple DIE!!

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Mar 2, 2013, 07:18 AM

I call shenanigans. Rumor hasn't been heard from since he posted about having applied for a new job.

Forum Links
Forum Rules