Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Donald Trump, 45th President of the United States of America: The Drinking Thread

Donald Trump, 45th President of the United States of America: The Drinking Thread (Page 19)
Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Sep 25, 2017, 07:12 PM

I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 25, 2017, 07:54 PM

I thought you said they were Trump's emails?
"I have a dream, that my four little children will one day live in a
nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin,
but by the content of their character." - M.L.King Jr

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Sep 25, 2017, 10:31 PM

I never said which one.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Sep 26, 2017, 07:58 PM

Ho. Lee. Shit.

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 26, 2017, 10:15 PM

^^ That's a lie, took all of 10 seconds to debunk, via a simple search:

The Trump International Golf Club Puerto Rico, which bears the name of Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump, filed for bankruptcy protection Monday, court documents show.

Owned by developer Empresas Diaz, the club uses the Trump name under a licensing agreement. Donald Trump does not own the club.
"We merely licensed our name for a fee and have nothing to do with the ownership, development or entity," Eric Trump, executive vice president of The Trump Organization and son of Donald Trump, said in a statement.
https://www.cnbc.com/2015/07/13/trum...ankruptcy.html

Unlike the massive fleecing of Haiti by the Clintons, the Trumps weren't actually involved at all. It's akin to blaming Michael Jordan for a robbery just because the thief was wearing his brand of shoes.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Sep 27, 2017, 09:27 AM

Trump deleted his tweets endorsing Luther Strange yesterday, which is both sad and illegal.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Sep 27, 2017, 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by Cap'n Tightpants View Post
Unlike the massive fleecing of Haiti by the Clintons, the Trumps weren't actually involved at all. It's akin to blaming Michael Jordan for a robbery just because the thief was wearing his brand of shoes.

^^ That's a lie, took all of 10 seconds to debunk, via a simple search

http://www.snopes.com/hillary-clinto...-minimum-wage/

Edit: sorry, I suppose you would prefer that I don't respond to you. Forgot.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Sep 30, 2017, 04:48 PM

I would love just one concession from the Obama-haters in here.

During his term many called him divisive. If you disagreed with his political policies and approach to trying to get his way I can see why some would make this argument.

However, can we agree that when it came to opportunities for solidarity, he was pretty darn good at saying uplifting things to help unite (at least non-ideologues)? Can we agree that Trump is divisive not only in his policies, but the fact that instead of showing empathy he says shit to pour gasoline on the flames? We've seen this time and time again and it hasn't even been a full year yet: Charlottesville, the NFL, now the mayor of San Juan, etc.

I haven't decided what effect flowery talk from leaders has on regular people, but it is pretty clear that controversial statements create all sort of destructive distractions. Saying nothing would be better.

It seems like a big part of being a diplomat is being good at uniting language. Can we also agree that Trump is probably the worst diplomat we've had in a president in a very long time?

... Okay, maybe I'm asking for more than one concession here, but please make besson3c happy. Snow-i? shifuimam? el chup?

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Sep 30, 2017, 08:33 PM

Everything Trump says is designed to either please his base or distract his critics. More often than not, he does both at the same time. He's the clickbait president. The left can't resist rising to his bait again and again.

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 1, 2017, 12:01 AM

On that I agree, 100%. The Left fall for it again, and again, and again, and... As Ben Shapiro pointed out, he's leading the media around by its nose and eventually he'll tire them out, as they continue to lose viewers (people are getting sick of the negative coverage every day, even when they agree with it).

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Oct 1, 2017, 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by Waragainstsleep View Post
Everything Trump says is designed to either please his base or distract his critics. More often than not, he does both at the same time. He's the clickbait president. The left can't resist rising to his bait again and again.

Which is an extremely dangerous when it comes to relationships with other countries.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Oct 1, 2017, 11:36 AM

Well the left have to address him really, its more than just foolish compulsion. If you let him talk shit unchecked, you risk normalising his asshattery and thats the last thing America needs given there was already enough of you to vote him in.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Oct 3, 2017, 02:41 PM

Beating a dead horse, but he is not a normal human being. He has no empathy and is so self involved and callous. I am sickened by his visit to PR today.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Oct 3, 2017, 02:46 PM

As Ben Shapiro pointed out, he's leading the media around by its nose
Ah, so that's who fed BadKosh the phrase.

andi*pandi
Oct 3, 2017, 02:53 PM

Tsk tsk, they cost us money.

subego
Clinically Insane
Oct 3, 2017, 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
Beating a dead horse, but he is not a normal human being. He has no empathy and is so self involved and callous. I am sickened by his visit to PR today.
A significant part of his brain is locked into the same thought process a two-year-old has.

Things are either literally the most fantastic experience they've ever had, or cause for yelling, screaming, and shitting the diaper. There is no in between.

Excluding naps of course.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 3, 2017, 05:28 PM

Because he was cheered and not booed?
45/47

andi*pandi
Oct 3, 2017, 05:53 PM

Because he said some pretty callous things?

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Oct 3, 2017, 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by Chongo View Post
Because he was cheered and not booed?
Gotta defend those (R)s no matter what.

(Also, your statement makes no sense in response to my post)

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 3, 2017, 07:01 PM

What made you sick about President Trump's visit to Puerto Rico?
45/47

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Oct 3, 2017, 07:02 PM

Why would you like to know?

subego
Clinically Insane
Oct 3, 2017, 07:10 PM

Sorry to put you on the spot, but I'm actually curious as well.

What I've read so far is classic Trump. Not actually out-there, but painfully easy to misinterpret.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 3, 2017, 07:12 PM

What made you sick about President Trump's visit to Puerto Rico? His badly told fall flat attempt at humor?
45/47

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Oct 3, 2017, 07:15 PM

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Oct 3, 2017, 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
Sorry to put you on the spot, but I'm actually curious as well.

What I've read so far is classic Trump. Not actually out-there, but painfully easy to misinterpret.
Assuming that's true, perhaps the context of the backdrop of a huge national disaster makes it look worse?

subego
Clinically Insane
Oct 3, 2017, 07:37 PM

Assuming that's true, perhaps the context of the backdrop of a huge national disaster makes it look worse?
It certainly doesn't help, but I lay most of it at the feet of confirmation bias.

If someone hates his guts, there's no reason to move past the worst interpretation.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Oct 3, 2017, 10:07 PM

Did I read a transcript where Trump raved about the coastguard in front a guy from the USAF?

Is he catching any real flak for that? I shudder to think what would be said if Obama had done that.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 3, 2017, 11:38 PM

Did I read a transcript where Trump raved about the coastguard in front a guy from the USAF?

Is he catching any real flak for that? I shudder to think what would be said if Obama had done that.
He raves about corpseman in front of corpsmen.

45/47

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Oct 4, 2017, 12:09 AM

Mispronouncing a word and not knowing the difference between the coastguard and the air force are some way apart.

At any rate, I'm guessing without looking that whoever posted those videos didn't do so to calmly and non-judgementally point out his error.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 4, 2017, 02:13 AM

Coast Guard or Air Guard? The Air Guard is the USAF.

45/47

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Oct 4, 2017, 04:18 AM

The transcript I saw said coast guard repeatedly but I didn't check into it, thats why I phrased the post as a question. If its Air Guard then thats certainly a much easier mistake to make.

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 4, 2017, 08:16 AM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
Ah, so that's who fed BadKosh the phrase.
It's a pretty common idiom and is much older than that. Originally it's from Othello.

Well the left have to address him really, its more than just foolish compulsion. If you let him talk shit unchecked, you risk normalising his asshattery and thats the last thing America needs given there was already enough of you to vote him in.
and that's why Trump will always succeed in controlling the media, probably leading to another term.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 4, 2017, 10:44 AM

and that's why Trump will always succeed in controlling the media, probably leading to another term.
He’s going to Trump Roll them.
45/47

andi*pandi
Oct 4, 2017, 10:46 AM

that's... disturbing. I'm tempted to put it in spoiler tags because brrrrr.

subego
Clinically Insane
Oct 4, 2017, 03:10 PM

The first one is interesting, the rest are more terrifying.

subego
Clinically Insane
Oct 5, 2017, 02:28 PM

I want to get this straight.

Do people really think Trump meant Maria wasn't a disaster?

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Oct 5, 2017, 10:19 PM

If you are asking is that why they are outraged at his comments in that press conference, not quite. He opened with what he would say was a joke, but came across as a thinly veiled complaint about having to spend money on Puerto Ricans. Then he went on to compare their problems with Katrina in a very clear attempt to diminish those problems. So no, he didn't say Maria wasn't disastrous, but he sounded very much like he implied that they were overreacting and that 16 deaths wasn't that bad really. Trump will tell you that it was supposed to be a compliment to their emergency responders and volunteers about keeping the death toll low when compared to a similar disaster, Katrina. But that isn't how it sounds because of the way its phrased, and the way he says things from his tone to his demeanour to his facial expressions.

At best, Trump seems to have the worst speechwriter in political history. Wouldn't surprise me if he is so arrogant he doesn't think he needs one. Ultimately what you are seeing I think is people reading the man as well as what he says.
In light of Trump's previous comments about hispanic people, coupled with what I think is a growing belief that underneath it all Trump is a callous sociopath, he comes across as not giving a shit about these non-white people from a non-state who would likely never vote for him. He didn't make jokes about the budget in Texas or Florida, or try to diminish their pain. What was the death toll in Texas? Wasn't it even lower than 16? Mostly responders and volunteers if I recall. So these "jokes" don't sound like jokes the way he says them, and they are not a part of his usual style, which we have plenty of recent valid examples to compare to. I'm surprised you can't detect that same disdain that everyone else is picking up on.

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 6, 2017, 12:06 AM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
I want to get this straight.

Do people really think Trump meant Maria wasn't a disaster?
Short answer? Yes.

Get comfortable with Trump, he'll be President until 2025. (Unless the Dems can calm down and not attack him 24/7.)

subego
Clinically Insane
Oct 6, 2017, 07:33 AM

"Calm before the storm"

****in shit for brains.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Oct 6, 2017, 03:21 PM

I love the coverup- "You'll see"

When you try to sound presidential but come off as ominous

subego
Clinically Insane
Oct 6, 2017, 05:06 PM

If you are asking is that why they are outraged at his comments in that press conference, not quite. He opened with what he would say was a joke, but came across as a thinly veiled complaint about having to spend money on Puerto Ricans. Then he went on to compare their problems with Katrina in a very clear attempt to diminish those problems. So no, he didn't say Maria wasn't disastrous, but he sounded very much like he implied that they were overreacting and that 16 deaths wasn't that bad really. Trump will tell you that it was supposed to be a compliment to their emergency responders and volunteers about keeping the death toll low when compared to a similar disaster, Katrina. But that isn't how it sounds because of the way its phrased, and the way he says things from his tone to his demeanour to his facial expressions.

At best, Trump seems to have the worst speechwriter in political history. Wouldn't surprise me if he is so arrogant he doesn't think he needs one. Ultimately what you are seeing I think is people reading the man as well as what he says.
In light of Trump's previous comments about hispanic people, coupled with what I think is a growing belief that underneath it all Trump is a callous sociopath, he comes across as not giving a shit about these non-white people from a non-state who would likely never vote for him. He didn't make jokes about the budget in Texas or Florida, or try to diminish their pain. What was the death toll in Texas? Wasn't it even lower than 16? Mostly responders and volunteers if I recall. So these "jokes" don't sound like jokes the way he says them, and they are not a part of his usual style, which we have plenty of recent valid examples to compare to. I'm surprised you can't detect that same disdain that everyone else is picking up on.
Honestly, I think I'm not picking up on it because it's not there, and the disdain I detect is from others towards Trump. People interpret whatever he says in the worst way possible because it fits the bias.

I'm not sure if him opening with the joke was meant to be figurative. It came after about 6 straight minutes of complimenting Puerto Rico, its people, and its government.

Harvey killed over 70 people in the States. It was F4 when it made landfall. Irma killed almost 90. It hit one of the Florida Keys at F4, and was F3 or less past that point. Maria made landfall on Puerto Rico at F5. The jury is still out on whether this was the worst hurricane to hit the island since they started keeping records, or "only" the second worst. It's miraculous there were so few deaths.

I don't question he's a nightmare of a public speaker.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Oct 6, 2017, 05:45 PM

Its pretty clear he is treating PR differently to Florida and Texas. Whether you think its because he favours his voters, his backers or just white people, making low quality jokes about inconvenience, that sound bad enough that you wrote them personally? Poor taste only covers so much.
Some (if not lots) of the bias is justified.

subego
Clinically Insane
Oct 6, 2017, 07:52 PM

In applied terms, the key difference in treatment was the extent to which the military was on alert.

The military should have been tracking the storm, should have generated a plan, and should have presented it to the president, either through the Defense Secretary, the Joint Chiefs, or both.

If they did, and Trump dismissed it, then this would be an example of the psychology he's being indicted for here.

If they didn't, then something more complicated is going on, for which Trump is ultimately responsible as the president, but not exactly in the way it's being implied.

Not that I mind, but this is drifting from his comparison.

OreoCookie
Oct 6, 2017, 08:06 PM

@subego
I think this is a fair characterization of the preparation to the hurricane.

I would just add that we should also contrast and compare how the Trump Administration has reacted to the hurricanes that struck the mainland to how it dealt with Puerto Rico — especially after the extent of the devastation became clear. For instance, it took much longer for the Administration to sign waivers to the Jones Act to waive trade restrictions and regulations for Puerto Rico.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Oct 6, 2017, 08:34 PM

Fair or not people won't see it as the military failed to plan accordingly, they'll see it as Trump failed to order them to do so.

subego
Clinically Insane
Oct 6, 2017, 11:00 PM

If he did that, I want to think he did that.

If he didn't, I don't.

OreoCookie
Oct 7, 2017, 12:07 AM

Fair or not people won't see it as the military failed to plan accordingly, they'll see it as Trump failed to order them to do so.
I would rather say that as a whole, subego is on point when he says that the buck stops with Trump — he is the President, he is the commander in chief, he is the one who heads the relief efforts. And I think that this is fair — with great power comes great responsibility or so the adage goes.

Of course, it'd be worse if Trump actually did not take this as serious as he should have (and signs point to it). However, in such natural disasters even under the best circumstances things will go wrong, and Trump (just like any other President before him) must accept responsibility. But even if you leave out the relief efforts and focus on the PR side of things: Trump's initial reaction especially seemed quite tone deaf. (PR is also another of the President's jobs, so I don't think it is fair to chalk this up as insignificant.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

subego
Clinically Insane
Oct 7, 2017, 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by OreoCookie View Post
For instance, it took much longer for the Administration to sign waivers to the Jones Act to waive trade restrictions and regulations for Puerto Rico.
No it didn't. Check the link. The waiver for Harvey took almost twice as long to grant as the one for Maria.

The Jones Act is waived in response to a shortage. For Harvey (extended into Irma), the shortage was fuel, and fuel was the only good for which the act was waived.

Puerto Rico has 99 problems, but a shortage ain't one. There was/is no reason to waive the act, except as a courtesy to the (D) Governor, who asked and was immediately accommodated. There's a larger argument over whether protectionist shipping policy unduly impacts Puerto Rico, it being an island and all, but a temporary waiver isn't addressing it.

That the media narrative about it somehow ended up "Trump hates brown people" really frosts my ass.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Oct 10, 2017, 09:56 AM

I would like to see the IQ test challenge be a nationally televised event.

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 10, 2017, 10:54 AM

^^ I concur.

Forum Links
Forum Rules