Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > 15-inch 2.4GHz MacBook Pro screen and "shut down" problems

15-inch 2.4GHz MacBook Pro screen and "shut down" problems
tabbycat01
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 7, 2009, 12:00 AM

I bought a new 15-inch 2.4GHz MacBook Pro a month ago. The screen has been dimming and flickering. The brightness levels adjust automatically. I thought the flickering might be indicative of a video signal interruption. Perhaps a bad connection between the body of the laptop and the screen. Also I experienced a "shut down" problem last night. After I "shut down" the computer the screen turned off, however, the power LED stayed on, the battery stayed warm, and the "caps lock" key still worked after reopening up the display. After leaving it until morning I was able to turn it back on and it booted up normally. A Genius at the Apple store ran a full hardware diagnostic and found nothing wrong. But something must be. Can anyone help???

Simon
Posting Junkie
Apr 7, 2009, 03:27 AM

Sys Prefs > Energy Saver > Options > Other Options > Automatically reduce the brightness of the display before display sleep

Sys Prefs > Displays > Automatically adjust brightness as ambient light changes

kylef
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 7, 2009, 03:55 AM

Originally Posted by tabbycat01 View Post
After I "shut down" the computer the screen turned off, however, the power LED stayed on, the battery stayed warm, and the "caps lock" key still worked after reopening up the display. After leaving it until morning I was able to turn it back on and it booted up normally. A Genius at the Apple store ran a full hardware diagnostic and found nothing wrong. But something must be. Can anyone help???
Apple released updates to fix this - check your software update. But it can also be caused if you leave USB stuff plugged in to your MacBook after you put it to sleep (and presumably shut it down); for instance if I leave my USB wireless mouse receiver in my MacBook and close it over, or at least the last time I did, I experienced what you were experiencing.

Forum Links
Forum Rules