Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > United Airlines

United Airlines (Page 2)
Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 16, 2017, 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
So, let me summarize:

Doa is an asshole that holds the whole plane hostage by refusing to give up his seat.
United mishandles the situation.
Doa wins the lawsuit lottery.
All other United customer pay for his windfall.

I love Amaraca.

-t
Why should he have to give up his seat just because 4 United employees wanted to deadhead? It wasn't overbooked, that was a lie. Once you sit, that's it, it's an unspoken rule with airlines in the West, to avoid this, and United broke it. If they wanted to do this right they could have deplaned everyone and then boarded who they wanted, and given him and the other 3 people being horribly inconvenienced the $1300 they allow for in these instances. They didn't, they provoked the confrontation by placing hands on him, and then mishandled him (knocking out 2 of his teeth and concussing him, according to his lawyer). I hope he rakes them over the financial coals, no business should treat its customers that way.
"I have a dream, that my four little children will one day live in a
nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin,
but by the content of their character." - M.L.King Jr

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Apr 16, 2017, 12:44 PM

Totally agree with CTP for a change.

I don't even think they should be allowed to deplane everyone and pay $1300 unless people volunteer to take it though I understand it was part of the original contract. If they can't organise their own logistics properly they have to pay the extra expense.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Apr 17, 2017, 09:19 AM

United tried to pull me off a flight once, it was a small turboprop and we were overweight, which I guess they didn't figure out until everyone boarded. They picked me but I played the "You wouldn't kick a Global Services, would you?" card and so someone else got pulled.

Snow-i
Professional Poster
Apr 18, 2017, 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by OreoCookie View Post
My friend who took an unexpected vacation on an island in the Atlantic, she received American Express traveller's cheques. Airlines will typically resist booking flights on other airlines (where other means airlines outside of their alliance of airlines such as Star Alliance or Sky Team). This is understandable.
Exactly. I'd demand:

1. A new fligght
2. A hotel and a car until said new flight
3. whatever amount they're offering in a voucher, in cash.

I think you mistook my post to mean that I support what United has done. I don't, United was wrong to force someone off the plane after giving them a seat and letting them board. I was merely explaining that overbooking is normal.
Oh no not at all. This story just pissed me off something awful so i was quoting your post as a springboard for my rant. I never meant to impart that I thought you supported them - it's clear you are as outraged as I am.

Snow-i
Professional Poster
Apr 18, 2017, 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
So, let me summarize:

Doa is an asshole that holds the whole plane hostage by refusing to give up his seat.
United mishandles the situation.
Doa wins the lawsuit lottery.
All other United customer pay for his windfall.

I love Amaraca.

-t
You skipped a few steps.

Doa paid for a service, and incurred expense to utilize that service as is necessary in that situation.
United decided that interal logistics were more important than the contract they entered with Doa.
United broke federal regulation to make room for their employees.
Doa refused to follow the illegal orders of a company who broke the contract with him, and they responded with the use of physical force under the color of law (a law they were on the wrong side of).

Now start your list.

That's exactly like booking a vacation, getting to the hotel, getting put in your room, then the hotel coming by and saying "oh sorry you have to leave we have employees that need to stay in this room" then kicking you to the curb. "Good luck tonight hope you find a place to stay! Here's $1000 voucher only good at our hotels (which you can't stay in tonight).

smh, turtle. The man bought a flight, and should have every expectation that he will get the service he paid for, or at least a reasonable alternative. Especially when United had other viable options at it's disposal and through sheer incompetence doubled down on it's folly again and again. United didn't even offer him the federally mandated amounts (in cash) for denied boarding, much less something over and above.

OreoCookie
Apr 18, 2017, 09:46 PM

Originally Posted by Snow-i View Post
Exactly. I'd demand:

1. A new fligght
2. A hotel and a car until said new flight
3. whatever amount they're offering in a voucher, in cash.
Last time I heard offers to pay for people to give up their seat was in Washington for a flight to Toronto. They offered a measly $200, and wanted to put the people on a red eye the next morning. Just no. I think they bumped it up to ~$300. For $500 plus hotel I would have thought about it.
Oh no not at all. This story just pissed me off something awful so i was quoting your post as a springboard for my rant. I never meant to impart that I thought you supported them - it's clear you are as outraged as I am.
Ah, ok, gotcha.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

OreoCookie
Apr 18, 2017, 10:01 PM

You skipped a few steps.

Doa paid for a service, and incurred expense to utilize that service as is necessary in that situation.
United decided that interal logistics were more important than the contract they entered with Doa.
United broke federal regulation to make room for their employees.
Doa refused to follow the illegal orders of a company who broke the contract with him, and they responded with the use of physical force under the color of law (a law they were on the wrong side of).
I think the best argument for Doa not (physically!) resisting is that on the scale of things, being physically injured outweighs being right.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

mindwaves
Apr 18, 2017, 11:49 PM

Losing two front teeth also! It is important to note that the flight was not overbooked, it was fully booked before United decided to bump/throw off 4 passengers to make way for their crew.

subego
Clinically Insane
Apr 19, 2017, 07:17 AM

Has anyone asked why the obvious procedure isn't standard practice?

"Plane's not moving until someone gets off."

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Apr 19, 2017, 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
Has anyone asked why the obvious procedure isn't standard practice?

"Plane's not moving until someone gets off."
Inciting a riot seems like a poor idea.

subego
Clinically Insane
Apr 19, 2017, 11:20 AM

Hey, you... smarty pants in 5c, zip it.

andi*pandi
Apr 19, 2017, 11:55 AM

You seem to be instigating something, sir. Are you a troublemaker? AIR MARSHALL to 6B!!!

subego
Clinically Insane
Apr 19, 2017, 12:02 PM

The Air Marshall took the $800.

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 27, 2017, 06:03 PM

reader50
Administrator
Apr 27, 2017, 06:53 PM

Undisclosed terms. I hope Dao made United pay a little extra to keep the terms quiet.

I would be in favor of a transparency law affecting deals that are of wide public interest. So settlements or new business contracts of wide interest must have their terms disclosed. I'm thinking of those cable-vs-programmer arguments that result in blackouts and trash talking back and forth. Then a new deal gets signed, and no one admits the cable company caved to all of the higher prices, required bundling, and no-streaming provisions the programmers had demanded.
( Last edited by reader50; Apr 28, 2017 at 12:35 AM. Reason: typo)

mindwaves
Apr 27, 2017, 11:37 PM

Must be a good payout because Dao's lawyers said this: "United boss Oscar Munoz said he was going to do the right thing and he has."

Doesn't matter. He deserves it and the industry will change as a result.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Apr 28, 2017, 09:20 AM

They sent an email out to Mileage Plus members last night with a lot of changes, including potential overbooking compensation of up to $10,000.

Snow-i
Professional Poster
Apr 28, 2017, 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
They sent an email out to Mileage Plus members last night with a lot of changes, including potential overbooking compensation of up to $10,000.
No word on if that compensation is cash or travel vouchers. I got the email too - color me skeptical.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Apr 28, 2017, 01:17 PM

It'll be travel vouchers. No way they give that much cash away

Snow-i
Professional Poster
Apr 28, 2017, 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
It'll be travel vouchers. No way they give that much cash away
Might as well be giving toilet paper. If I recall, those vouchers expire after a year.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Apr 28, 2017, 06:18 PM

Exactly.

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 30, 2017, 06:27 AM

$10k barely covers int'l first class, nowadays.
"I have a dream, that my four little children will one day live in a
nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin,
but by the content of their character." - M.L.King Jr

mindwaves
May 1, 2017, 08:44 AM

It's getting dangerous to fly within the US.

Even the pilot can smack you.

Video captures Delta pilot smacking woman to break up fight

Laminar
Posting Junkie
May 1, 2017, 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by Cap'n Tightpants View Post
$10k barely covers int'l first class, nowadays.
Last time I tried to take United to Australia, business class fare was over $16k. Ended up going with Air New Zealand for like $8k.

andi*pandi
May 1, 2017, 11:21 AM

You are assuming the people being bumped are in first class. I would assume they attempt to bribe the plebes before ousting you guys from your plushy seats and free cocktails.

BadKosh
Professional Poster
May 1, 2017, 11:35 AM

And they KILLED the rabbit, and then burned the remains! No problems here........

andi*pandi
May 1, 2017, 11:49 AM

link for badkosh, in case anyone doesn't know what he's on about... poor bun!

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/341404...nes-jet-to-us/

Snow-i
Professional Poster
May 4, 2017, 08:22 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7pM8IyxpTc

F*ck you Delta. Did you learn nothing from the United Fiasco?

http://fortune.com/2017/05/04/delta-...hear-car-seat/
“I told you guys at the beginning you had two options and now it’s come too far,” an agent explained.
“I have two infants,” Schear said, “and nowhere to stay. There’s no more flights. What are we supposed to do — sleep in the airport?”
“At this point, you guys are on your own,” the agent replied.

You guys are on your own? It's a huge mistake to "buy" anything from companies that engage in these practices. Not hard to see coming when during the United fiasco the Delta CEO had to open his stupid mouth.

Edited to Add: SW testified before Congress that they would end the practice of overbooking altogether, proving that airlines don't need to use the weight of federal law to **** over their customers.
( Last edited by Snow-i; May 4, 2017 at 08:36 PM. )

mindwaves
May 4, 2017, 11:21 PM

Luckily, I rarely fly within the US. Combine this with international flyers being harassed for "contraband goods" and "money laundering" risks, no wonder why travel is down in the US (been watching a lot of US/UK/Canada border patrol/airport customs videos on Youtube, where passengers are being singled out for being "suspicious").

Not to mention super fat Americans taking up your portion of your ever-so-shrinking-seat-space, the industry is in a free-fall.

mindwaves
May 4, 2017, 11:43 PM

Originally Posted by mindwaves View Post
Luckily, I rarely fly within the US. Combine this with international flyers being harassed for "contraband goods" and "money laundering" risks, no wonder why travel is down in the US (been watching a lot of US/UK/Canada border patrol/airport customs videos on Youtube, where passengers are being singled out for being "suspicious").

Not to mention super fat Americans taking up your portion of your ever-so-shrinking-seat-space, the industry is in a free-fall.

Just a side rant:

1) Limiting international passengers to just 1 carton of cigarettes is just idiotic and highly limiting. Make it five cartons or something and people will smuggle a lot less. And this is coming from someone who doesn't smoke and hates people smoking!
2) $10,000 cash limit is so archaic and is from a 1970s law. Sure $10,000 was a lot of money, but not so much these days. Make it $20,000. Customs said it prevents money laundering and you can bring in as much as you want if you declare it. Sorry, but my money is my money and having to declare it is none of your business.

subego
Clinically Insane
May 5, 2017, 12:28 AM

I feel these days it's got to be more aimed at people who launder their money with purchases of cocaine by the kilo.

Snow-i
Professional Poster
May 9, 2017, 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
I feel these days it's got to be more aimed at people who launder their money with purchases of cocaine by the kilo.
Who all use bitcoin anyways. If they don't, they are most likely dumb enough to get caught without this insane law.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
May 15, 2017, 06:04 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7pM8IyxpTc

F*ck you Delta. Did you learn nothing from the United Fiasco?
*puts on red hat with hammer and sickle*

What was the lesson? That giving your employees raises hurts your stock more than dragging a man bloodied out of your plane?

Forum Links
Forum Rules