Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > OS 8.6, VPC 2.1.3, Macally conflict/crash

OS 8.6, VPC 2.1.3, Macally conflict/crash
MacNN Reader
May 13, 1999, 04:30 AM

I believe I have found a conflict between the Mac OS 8.6, Virtual PC 2.13, and the MacAlly PointDevice 3.1 software used to operate their 2 button ADB mouse.

My system is a 7500 with a 233Mhz 604e card with 112 megs of ram. Everything had been running fine with no crashes in 8.5. I then updated VPC to 2.13, since I read this was needed to run it in 8.6. I ran VPC a couple of times after this and didn't see any problems. I then updated my system to 8.6, and VPC would lock up the computer (the mouse would freeze, sometimes I would get errors saying "error type 10" or "illegal instruction" and that I had to restart, but other times it would just freeze completely.

I tried no extensions and then in extensions manager I choose "8.6 all", and both had no problems. From there I added 6 extensions and Control panels that I thought might be trouble, and then narrowed it down to the 2 extensions and 1 control panel from MacAlly's PointDevice version 3.1 software (this is PointDeviceDaemon.2m, PointDeviceINIT and Point Device). Note that "macally input sprocket", which is a separate install, did not cause any conflicts.

I also tried these 3 individually. It appears that the control panel Point Device is only an application, and doesn't have any functionality by itself. But when it is opened it appears to install the 2 extensions, much like Iomega Guest does. Before launching it there is no conflict, but it also doesn't give any of the 2 button functionality. After opening it it does cause the conflict with VPC, but does act as a 2 button mouse in the finder and other apps.

PointDeviceDaemon.2m by itself freezes up the mouse in the finder. The keyboard still works, as I was able to open up sherlock and search for the mouse control panel....but life without a mouse is not what I am looking for.

PointDeviceINIT by itself gives the functionality of a 2 button mouse in the finder and other apps, but locks up VPC on attempted start up. Since this is the symptom I originally saw it is probably this extension's fault, though the PointDeviceDaemon.2m might play a role too.

If you need any further information or have a solution, please e-mail me at [email protected]

I am sending this out to various places including MacAlly, Connectix, Apple, Macintouch, MacGamers Ledge, xlr8yourmac, and other web sites that are tracking issues with the 8.6 update.

Aaron Daniel

Forum Links
Forum Rules