Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Not At All Happy With 8.6 and this Screen resolution thing.

Not At All Happy With 8.6 and this Screen resolution thing.
keeb
May 13, 1999, 03:46 AM

although i cant complain to much about 8.6 in it's entirety i can complain about the stoopid startup res change , come on somebody out there has to be a decent developer who can write a simple piece of code to make our lives easy huh??

nemesys
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 14, 1999, 01:05 PM

I fully agree, though I'm not sure there is a fix, since the display stuff is no longer the same in 8.6 than what is in the ROM. Maybe a firmware update???

lar2jan
May 14, 1999, 03:23 PM

Monitor blinks black when desktop loads w/OS8.6. One suggestion was to change the resolution in the Monitor Control Panel(Not the Monitor & Sound Control Panel) to the same resolution in the M&S Control Panel. I have never seen the "Monitor Control Panel". Apple.com search reveals nothing. Does this critter exist?

kuntz
May 14, 1999, 03:33 PM

That will not fix the problem if you have a Studio display. Read the other posts about this problem.

This is from my previous post (from Apple):

"It is indeed normal. The Blue & White computers had the same display driver as Mac OS 8.5, which is why you do not see this behavior there. The newer driver in 8.6 does this, and it is the same behavior that older Power Macintosh computers got with the AppleVision displays in 8.5 (and 8.1 for that matter). It is a newer display driver than what you have in ROM, and therefore it has to load. If you start up with extensions off, it doesn't load, the display is not being driven properly, and it stays in 640x480. No patch will be released to change it, since it is behaving as we expect it to,and using the new driver."

John Phelps
Forum Leader - Apple Support Discussions

Lucas

Oh yeah you can install the monitor CP from your 8.5 cd, it will be in the monitor extras folder after you install it.

[This message has been edited by kuntz (edited 05-14-99).]

Forum Links
Forum Rules