Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Problems w/ B&W G3s, OpenGL, Quicktime and 8.6

Problems w/ B&W G3s, OpenGL, Quicktime and 8.6
TimRand
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 12, 1999, 01:05 PM

I hope you can confirm or deny... I have had problems over the last two days with a B&W G3, System 8.6, the newest Quicktime (4.0b22) and the newest OpenGL (1.0). The problem appears to be related to the newest ATI drivers installed with OpenGL, but I haven't been able to narrow it down.

The system locks up when you CLOSE SimpleText windows. Other applications may crash the system as well, but SimpleText always does it. The lockup is hard. No mouse movement, no response to CMD-OPTION-ESC.

I've done 3 fresh installs and still don't have things understood.

Rumplestilskin
May 12, 1999, 10:52 PM

I too have a B & W G3, the newest Quicktime, Mac OS 8.6, and the OpenGL drivers. No problem here. Get yourself a new Simpletext (off the CD), zap your PRAM and rebuild your desktop. One of those tricks should fix you up.

TimRand  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 13, 1999, 01:21 AM

I have carefully recreated this problem and it IS repeatable for me.

Install 8.5.1 to a Clean Install (new system folder) state. Install 8.6, Install Quicktime (4.0b22), then install OpenGL 1.0. The system will not be stable.

I'll try it again in the AM. but earlier this evening, I was able to do the above steps, but custom install OpenGL leaving off the ATI drivers and the system was fine. Then I installed the ATI drivers and it locked up.

I am running the most current SimpleText. I only chose that application because it is standard Apple fare and not easily blamed on something else.

Tim

Claude
May 13, 1999, 09:29 AM

Installed OpenGL yesterday on Powerbook G3. Everything works fine except for the game Quake. It ran fine with old ATI drivers but now there is no video, no matter what settings you use. Any suggestions for getting it to work. Already deleted preferences to no avail. Thanks.

TimRand  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 14, 1999, 05:56 PM

This is a recreatable problem. A solution that worked for me is to turn the monitor color settings to Thousands of colors and not Millions. This should stop your crashing on the Rage 128 based systems. The drivers from OpenGL 1.0 did initiate the problem.

sfn
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 14, 1999, 10:26 PM

I had nothing but trouble also. First try I upgraded 8.5.1/QT4 to 8.6. Not very stable. Tried OpenGL and that didn't help. Did a clean install of 8.5.1 and updated to 8.6 and OpenGL but NOT QT4. Seems stable now but Sherlock is unusable. Locks tight. I did hear that the buttons on the front of the Yosemite can come loose and not truly acivate the resets. This may be why you have to pull the plug. That I have never had to do. I running a B&W G3 350/DVD.

------------------
sincerely,
steve
sincerely,
steve

sfn
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 14, 1999, 10:26 PM

I had nothing but trouble also. First try I upgraded 8.5.1/QT4 to 8.6. Not very stable. Tried OpenGL and that didn't help. Did a clean install of 8.5.1 and updated to 8.6 and OpenGL but NOT QT4. Seems stable now but Sherlock is unusable. Locks tight. I did hear that the buttons on the front of the Yosemite can come loose and not truly acivate the resets. This may be why you have to pull the plug. That I have never had to do. I running a B&W G3 350/DVD.

------------------
sincerely,
steve
sincerely,
steve

keeb
May 14, 1999, 11:59 PM

i have the g3/300 b&w , i have qt4b21 and open gl and os 8.6 , i have finally got my machnine to stop crashing by believe it or not a cache control , it solved almost all of my issues , however the issue you all are suffering from is probably an issue with qt 4b22. as i said i have yet to upgrade and it works like a charm.. try finding an older beta say b21. it should cure what ails you guys...

KeeB
[email protected]

Forum Links
Forum Rules