Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Resolution switch at startup

Resolution switch at startup
Rob Huigsloot
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 11, 1999, 09:15 AM

Just after my BW G3 starts up the resolution of my monitor is changed to 640x480 and after loading a few extensions it changes back to 1024-768. Does anyone have a solution for me?
Most kind regards,
Rob

kuntz
May 11, 1999, 12:20 PM

I have the same problem. I have tried a lot of things and it always does it. If I find out anything I will let you know. My post is titled "B&W G3 probs after 8.6 install" in there you can read all the things I have done. Good luck!
Lucas

fraca
May 11, 1999, 01:31 PM

Me too....and I find that anoying...so that makes three of us....and what about the others??? White and Blue 350 and Apple display 17". Also waiting for a solution...Thanks, Fran�ois

kai
May 11, 1999, 02:03 PM

Me too ;-P. I did not install 8.6 however, and it appeared after I'd reset the Parameter RAM.

It makes more than three now.

------------------
[ this message was not editted after I sent it ;-P ]

Macz G3 400
May 11, 1999, 02:36 PM

Humm.. I have the same thing happen to me on my Blue G3/400.. It is annoying!! Do you think it could be net boot related?? I noticed the lights on my ethernet hub really flashing before it switches back to 1024 X 768! Just a thought�C ya

genevish
Mac Enthusiast
May 11, 1999, 05:31 PM

This seemed to happen to me afer installing the G3 firmware update, although I installed 8.6 right after that so I may be mistaken.
Scott Genevish
scott AT genevish DOT org

Kail
May 11, 1999, 05:41 PM

I've performed the upgrade on two B&W G3s (a 400 with a Sony 17" monitor and a 350 with the Apple Studio Display) and the same problem occurs on both of them. The machine boots at 640x480 until the extensions start to load, blacks out, then switches to the correct resolution but with a generic desktop pattern while the rest of the extensions load and then finally adds the background when the desktop appears. I've zapped PRAM, deleted preferences, you name it, but nothing that I've tried works. It started with the 8.6 upgrade. I performed the firmware updates, weeks ago with no problems. So add me to the list.

Kail
May 11, 1999, 05:42 PM

I've performed the upgrade on two B&W G3s (a 400 with a Sony 17" monitor and a 350 with the Apple Studio Display) and the same problem occurs on both of them. The machine boots at 640x480 until the extensions start to load, blacks out, then switches to the correct resolution but with a generic desktop pattern while the rest of the extensions load and then finally adds the background when the desktop appears. I've zapped PRAM, deleted preferences, you name it, but nothing that I've tried works. It started with the 8.6 upgrade. I performed the firmware updates, weeks ago with no problems. So add me to the list.

kuntz
May 11, 1999, 09:28 PM

I have searched the forums at apple and I have this interesting news right from the horses mouth.

"It is indeed normal. The Blue & White computers had the same display driver as Mac OS 8.5, which is why you do not see this behavior there. The newer driver in 8.6 does this, and it is the same behavior that older Power Macintosh computers got with the AppleVision displays in 8.5 (and 8.1 for that matter). It is a newer display driver than what you have in ROM, and therefore it has to load. If you start up with extensions off, it doesn't load, the display is not being driven properly, and it stays in 640x480.

No patch will be released to change it, since it is behaving as we expect it to,and using the new driver."

John Phelps
Forum Leader - Apple Support Discussions

So it looks like we have to deal with it. :/
Lucas

Kail
May 11, 1999, 11:37 PM

That's a smooth way to patch ROM code.

kuntz
May 12, 1999, 12:18 AM

ya, it is pretty cool isn't it? Well hopefully the new drivers are enhancements and not just new for the sake of being new. Well heres to flashing monitors!
Lucas

dwbowers
May 12, 1999, 12:33 AM

I have been experiencing the low resolution at startup 'problem' for a month or so on a beige G3/233 running 8.5.1, so I wonder if it is only a 8.6 problem. My monitor is a Radius MultiView 21. I do not have a clue as to why it started to occur for me. I'm bracing myself for the 8.6 upgrade, with my luck ...

geoff
May 12, 1999, 11:48 PM

A machine that doesn't do it is my J700/G3250 that has an ATI XclaimVR video card. But since 8.6 I can't play the ATI 4.2.0 movies my inputs save. (QT tells me I no longer have the codec).
My 7600 at work with a Radius 30/1600 not only goes 640x480, but to black and white too. It goes back to 1152x870 at millions just after the menu bar appears.

Ron L
May 13, 1999, 06:40 AM

If you want to see how many other people are having to put up with this same problem go to the following URL at the Apple Discussion Forum for G3s. When you get there do a search on "resolution." Huge number of very upset owners.

<http://discuss.info.apple.com/boards/powermac.nsf/by+Catego ry?OpenView&Start=1&Count=110&Expand=11#11>

In a post above (on _this_ MNN board) someone else noted a reply from John Phelps. But what John did not mention was that if we install software with extensions off by holding down the shift key (which has always been recommended as the safest way in the past) then the next time we restart -- any pop-up folders on the desktop are a mess if they are in icon view and the tabs are abbreviated as well when a person has them all along the bottom.

There's software that will reset icon positions but none that I am aware of that will reset pop-up folders.

Of course just as Apple said about the resolution switch during startup as being 'normal' (yes Apple Support actually used the word 'normal' on the Apple Discussion Forum whose URL is indicated above) -- they probably 'anticipated' this and now this is perfectly 'normal' also since it is happening to everyone with a G3 B&W running 8.6.

I'm beginning to believe that they are going to justify any bizarre behavior as 'normal' if it happens to everyone.

I have been an _extremely_ strong supporter of Apple in the past but when they can't even get the startup to look smooth...

For a company that supposedly prides itself on its GUI -- this is definitely not esthetically pleasing.

Just think -- if you had a car and it ran great but every time you started it it made odd sounds and the lights flashed on and off... would you and others around you have confidence in its continued stability?

------------------
Ron L

Kail
May 13, 1999, 01:24 PM

Ron, How about that URL?

stefeb
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 13, 1999, 03:32 PM

The URL for the Apple Support Forum that disccusses the resolutions changes for the BW's is below:

http://discuss.info.apple.com/boards/macos.nsf/4d77296313e64 48286256522004fb849?CreateDocument
"It's never too late to become what you might have been." - George Eliot

stefeb
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 13, 1999, 03:35 PM

Sorry...

Start here:http://www.info.apple.com/support/pages.taf?product=mac os8.6

Then click on the Tech Exchange Button.

Then you click on the search link, type "resolution", and bingo!
"It's never too late to become what you might have been." - George Eliot

Forum Links
Forum Rules