Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Sound Choices

Sound Choices
Daracle
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 11, 2003, 09:19 PM

Hey guys
Looking at some JBL Creatures or the Soundsticks....Anyone have any advice?

Thanks

RayX
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 12, 2003, 10:36 PM

Originally posted by Daracle:
Hey guys

Thanks
Neither.

Daracle  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 13, 2003, 12:01 AM

Thanks for the help

hldan
Mac Elite
Dec 13, 2003, 12:51 AM

Thanks for the help
Neither? That's help?? So rude. The original poster deserves at least a reason as to why?

To the original poster, the best way to find out if you like any speakers is to try them out. Personally I like the SoundSticks but not just because of the sound but I also like the style.

The JBL's are more popular now and the Apple Retail stores display them for the iPod and their Macs. They look cool and sound great especially for the size they are and they sound incredible. But the only way is to hear them.
Hope this helps.
iMac 24" 2.8 Ghz Core 2 Extreme
500GB HDD
4GB Ram
Proud new Owner!

Daracle  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 13, 2003, 01:07 AM

hldan.....
That helps alot, Thanks VERY much

Seqiro
Dec 13, 2003, 01:17 AM

I'm currently using Klipsch Promedia GMX-A2.1 on my PowerBook and my wife is using the Harmon Kardon SoundSticks on her G5. The Klipsch speakers sound better than any other two channel speakers that I have heard and they are only $120 at newegg.

They sound so much better than the SoundSticks that my wife is planning on putting the 'Sticks on our old iMac and buying a set of the Promedias.

shabbasuraj
Mac Elite
Dec 13, 2003, 04:54 AM

heard the 'Bose Companion 3' the other day and was impressed...
blabba5555555555555555555555555555555555555

chessplayer
Dec 13, 2003, 05:54 AM

The Creatures sound (and look) great. The touch sensitive volume control is neat but for me it occasionally stops working, and I have to plug/unplug the Creatures to make the volume control work again.

Sarc
Mac Elite
Dec 13, 2003, 04:56 PM

If you want higher end audio, you might wanna get the Sonica or the Sonica Theater and attach the Logitech Z680 5.1 Speakers

Kickass audio !
Full THX, DD and DTS for DVD's, 5.1 sorround for audio.
:: frankenstein / lcd-less TiBook / 1GHz / radeon 9000 64MB / 1GB RAM / w/ext. 250GB fw drive / noname usb bluetooth dongle / d-link usb 2.0 pcmcia card / X.5.8
:: unibody macbook pro / 2.4 Ghz C2D / 6GB RAM / dell 2407wfp - X.6.3

bobpensik
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 13, 2003, 05:51 PM

i don't know if the sonica theatre is really worth the $120 just so that you can have 5.1 audio onn your comp! i mean i know that i love my music, but i don't really see the necessity in forking out an additional $120 on top of speakers just for the 5.1, but that is just me!

and as for the speakers, i use Monsoon speakers (they are 5.1 buti only use 2 as i have a PB) but when i hooked them up to a 5.1 setup they were amazing! and i am fully satisfied with just the 2 as well. i would recemmond monsoon speakers! they rock!
Never Ask A Man What Computer He Uses. If It's A Mac, He'll Tell You. If It's Not, Why Embarrass Him?
-Tom Clancy-

Daracle  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 13, 2003, 06:01 PM

Thanks for all the advice guys

rambo47
Mac Elite
Dec 13, 2003, 08:48 PM

I'll probably get flamed for this, but here goes. I have and love the Harman Kardon SoundSticks and Subwoofer. They take up very little space, sound great, and look pretty cool, too. I've seen lots of folks poo-poo these speakers, but they're teriffic as far as I'm concerned. Now, let me state flat-out that I'm no audiophile or stereo fanatic so mine might be a layman's opinion. Bottom line: I like 'em.
( Last edited by rambo47; Dec 13, 2003 at 08:53 PM. )

todrain
Senior User
Dec 13, 2003, 10:25 PM

I have the Creature Speakers, and they're fine for most needs. I'm not into high-end audio, so I couldn't tell you how much better a $400 speaker set would sound, but the Creatures look great and workk well for me.

jimf_81
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 14, 2003, 07:48 PM

I've heard and seen both the Creatures and the Soundsticks, and they are both very good. In my mind the difference comes down to just a matter of opinion.

Personally, I don't really like the look of the soundsticks - the speakers themselves are what bug me, I love the sub. From what I've heard there isn't any real difference in sound quality. So in my opinion, between the two you should go with the JVC Creatures, they look better, sound the same, and are cheaper too!

On a side note, as another person mentioned, you should check out the Klipsch Promedia GMX-A2.1's. They're the one's that I'm going to buy for my new 17" powerbook, and they are onlly slightly more than the Creatures.

In my mind, Klipsch Promedia 2.1 > JVC Creature > Soundsticks, but like I said it's just a matter of opinion and everyone will have different thoughts on it. In any case you won't be dissapointed with any of them.

[email protected]

Sickofwaiting
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 15, 2003, 12:27 AM

Both of those are pretty much the same, If you want some real quality sound for your dollar get a pair of Klipsch.

Hey guys

Thanks
waiting this long for a new 15 will drive
anyone insane

carney
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 15, 2003, 12:50 AM

I have the HK sound sticks and subwoofer. I use them in a smallish office (about 4mx5m) with carpet and lots of metal cabinets, 10ft false ceiling. Not the greatest accoustic environment, but not terible. I also have some high-end stuff properly set-up at home. I like the HK eqipment and think it is a good deal for the $$. It's certainly not going to satify an audiophile. Ask yourself about the environment in which this equipment will function. It always cracks me up to see new, thousand dollar rims on a ten year old Neon.
Scott

badtz
Mac Elite
Dec 15, 2003, 01:29 AM

I just bought the creature speakers, and was surprisingly amazed at the quality of coming from such small speakers. Though the bass helps too. The touch-sensitive speakers are cool [though I still control it from the keyboard]. And the bass sounds cool.

Also, it looks very neat.

and I got a great deal on some website [if you are very interested, let me know and i'll dig up the website where I purchased it] ... it was refurbished, but came perfectly packaged [like new] when I received it. And works perfectly.

I actually bought TWO. myself + family member.

jimf_81
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 15, 2003, 01:17 PM

Hah hah hah. That neon analogy was priceless. It's so true!

kanker
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 16, 2003, 02:45 AM

I've had the JBL Creatures for just under a year, and last week the amp in the sub crapped on me, so now I have had to go back to the Apple Pro speakers that shipped with my machine. I can't say that this is a common problem, it may be completely unique, but I am bummed because they did sound pretty good.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Dec 16, 2003, 02:50 AM

My advice is to always be sure to post in the correct forum.

tooki

Forum Links
Forum Rules