Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Looking for suggestions dealing with Powerbook.

Looking for suggestions dealing with Powerbook.
Sakino
Senior User
May 13, 2004, 11:45 PM

I have a rev A 15 inch powerbook, it�s a 1.25 gighz, 512 mb ram, 80 gig 5400 rpm hd, dvd-r. My friend's sister is willing to buy it from me, for when she goes to college in fall.
My current uses are for college purposes: chatting, dvd burning, downloading, note typing, surfing, occasional website development and small graphic editing(none of this major, as I have a pc with a 17 inch flat panel). I was thinking about picking up a brand new 12� powerbook to hold me over until the rev b g5 PowerBooks come out, and no I am in no rush to see it come. Everyone has nothing but good things to say about the new 12 inch powerbooks, the portability seems to be a pro as well as all of its options. I enjoy throwing my laptop in the backpack and going when I need too, sometimes the 15� can be a hassle. The backlight keyboard is rarely used, and I wont miss it. Am I going to be missing out on anything? Should I go for it? If so how much should I sell my powerbook for?

If I were going to sell it, i would also sell my apple bluetooth mouse(69$), and cargo bag, sleeve, and ipod gear pouch(~200$). ~$1800-$2000?
Thanks
Josh
( Last edited by Sakino; May 13, 2004 at 11:57 PM. )

nate_02
Senior User
May 14, 2004, 12:28 AM

I currently have a 15" and the only reason I didn't get the 12 is because I needed to use FCP and that program doesn't fit too well on a 12" screen. If I wasn't doing video editing, I think a 12" would be great for everything else I do including graphics and web surfing.

I haven't looked at the 12" in a while so I can't remember if it is widescreen format or not. I love widescreen and that is one thing I would miss if the 12" isn't widescreen format.
-nate

PeterKG
Senior User
May 14, 2004, 12:48 AM

You have already spent quite a lot of money for your current set up. Why sell it at all? If you replace it, that means more money out of pocket. Your better off to keep a great machine that you have now and use it until a G5 PB arrives.
MacBook Air, Mac OS X (10.7), 1.6 GHz, Core i5, 4GB 1333 MHz DDR3, 128 GB SSD, 24" LED ACD, 1TB Time Capsule (late 2009), IOS4 ATV, 16GB iPhone 4

Sakino  (op)
Senior User
May 14, 2004, 02:01 AM

Originally posted by PeterKG:
You have already spent quite a lot of money for your current set up. Why sell it at all? If you replace it, that means more money out of pocket. Your better off to keep a great machine that you have now and use it until a G5 PB arrives.
Well I got it really cheap, with the Hardware Purchase program discount. So I wouldn't be loosing much.

Sakino  (op)
Senior User
May 14, 2004, 08:36 PM

All these views and no replies?

The Placid Casual
Professional Poster
May 14, 2004, 08:48 PM

Ok, since 1998 I have gone from:

iMac Bondi G3 233,
Powermac G4 400,
iMac G3 450,
Wallstreet Powerbook,
iBook G3 500,
Powerbook G4 550,
Powermac G4 Dual 800,
Cube G4 450,
Cube G4 450 Mk2,
Powermac G4 Dual 867,
iBook G4 466 SE,
Powerbook 12" G4 867,
Powerbook 15" Ti 867,
Powermac G4 450,
Powermac G5 Dual 1.8.

I am am finally happy but about to buy a 15" Powerbook to give me some more power when i am out and about.

Thing was, the grass was always greener on the other side, or on another machine. I was never content.

As soon as I changed, I realised that there were things I had needed but no longer had etc

I would think, very, very carefully about changing, especially when you have an uber cool setup as it is...

Personally, I can't see the point of downgrading to a 12" Powerbook from what is the sweet machine of the last year.

Sakino  (op)
Senior User
May 14, 2004, 11:12 PM

Originally posted by The Placid Casual:
Ok, since 1998 I have gone from:

I am am finally happy but about to buy a 15" Powerbook to give me some more power when i am out and about.

Thing was, the grass was always greener on the other side, or on another machine. I was never content.

As soon as I changed, I realised that there were things I had needed but no longer had etc

I would think, very, very carefully about changing, especially when you have an uber cool setup as it is...

Personally, I can't see the point of downgrading to a 12" Powerbook from what is the sweet machine of the last year.
I guess everyone had nothing but good stuff to say about it, and it seems to have everything in a compact form. Which seems to be a positive!

I noticed a lot of college students moving away from 15+ laptops and down to 12 inch

Forum Links
Forum Rules