Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Amazon Echo: Basically Siri for your home

Amazon Echo: Basically Siri for your home
The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Nov 6, 2014, 01:20 PM

http://www.amazon.com/oc/echo/ref_=ods_dp_ae

I've got to give amazon credit, they're willing to try everything to see what sticks. That said, having used Siri once (because I was driving my car at the time), the real life applications don't jump out at me.

Demonhood
Administrator
Nov 6, 2014, 01:28 PM

Huh. If it is a nice sounding bluetooth speaker, that might be worth it for that alone (at the special $99 price, not $199).

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 6, 2014, 01:36 PM

Supposedly, it's not listed as a feature but I've heard they can do this, if you have more than one in your house they will network together.
"I have a dream, that my four little children will one day live in a
nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin,
but by the content of their character." - M.L.King Jr

Phileas
Mac Elite
Nov 6, 2014, 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
Amazon Echo - Official site - Request an invitation

I've got to give amazon credit, they're willing to try everything to see what sticks. That said, having used Siri once (because I was driving my car at the time), the real life applications don't jump out at me.
I think this would be a lot more sticky than Siri. I use "OK google" a lot more than Siri, because there is no physical interaction needed. Imagine having this in your kitchen, adding items to your shopping list throughout the week, then just having that mailed to you. Useful.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 6, 2014, 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by Phileas View Post
I think this would be a lot more sticky than Siri. I use "OK google" a lot more than Siri, because there is no physical interaction needed. Imagine having this in your kitchen, adding items to your shopping list throughout the week, then just having that mailed to you. Useful.
Without a doubt the always on is feature. Though I'm waiting for paranoid and privacy advocates commentary on amazon having that in your home.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Nov 6, 2014, 05:24 PM

Ooo invitation only. It's so exclusive. I better get in now!

Phileas
Mac Elite
Nov 8, 2014, 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
Without a doubt the always on is feature. Though I'm waiting for paranoid and privacy advocates commentary on amazon having that in your home.
That no doubt is the desired outcome. Add items yo your shopping list, then have them delivered by amazon. Why the major supermarket chains aren't watching this with paranoia escapes me.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Nov 8, 2014, 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by Phileas View Post
Yeah, I never use Siri. I actually wish Google Now was allowed the same level of integration as Siri on iOS, because it seems to be so much better, IMHO. I never ask Siri a question, but I open up the Google app for that purpose several times per day.

I wonder if Google will venture into this same market as the Echo.

Which is more evil:
- Amazon listening to everything in order to sell you more products.
- Google listening to everything in order to sell you as a product.

Forum Links
Forum Rules