Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > iphone sync + pc interaction q's

iphone sync + pc interaction q's
little a
Mar 29, 2009, 11:30 AM

hello all

looking into getting an iphone but i'm concerned about a few things.

how many apple programs will i need to install on my PC in order to do basic things like transfer music, sync calendar, contacts, etc.? is it possible to do these things without using additional (apple) software? thanks

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Mar 29, 2009, 11:53 AM

Just one. iTunes.

little a  (op)
Apr 9, 2009, 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
Just one. iTunes.
i was afraid you might say that - is there any way to avoid using iTunes and still be able to sync schedules, transfer music, etc.? thanks

ibook_steve
Apr 9, 2009, 04:52 PM

No. Why? What's wrong with iTunes?

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

little a  (op)
Apr 10, 2009, 09:13 AM

nothing per se, it's just not my cup of tea and i would rather avoid it if possible - is there really no other way to do this without iTunes?

little a  (op)
Apr 10, 2009, 11:54 AM

ok, found all this stuff on iPhone + ssh - can i accomplish my music transfer and contact import/export that way? i also found a way to sync calendar via some google calenda ap so that should be easy.

ibook_steve
Apr 10, 2009, 03:08 PM

I'm not quite sure why you are making this harder on yourself than it needs to be. After setting iTunes up, everything is synched with one click.

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

little a  (op)
Apr 10, 2009, 11:19 PM

Originally Posted by ibook_steve View Post
I'm not quite sure why you are making this harder on yourself than it needs to be. After setting iTunes up, everything is synched with one click.

Steve
i know, i know... it's all personal preferences - i don't like iTunes and i'd rather avoid it. if i can get my music onto an iphone via SSH or some other way that doesn't involve using iTunes then my next phone will be an iphone. if not, i will keep looking.

kylef
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 11, 2009, 07:49 AM

Originally Posted by little a View Post
i know, i know... it's all personal preferences - i don't like iTunes and i'd rather avoid it. if i can get my music onto an iphone via SSH or some other way that doesn't involve using iTunes then my next phone will be an iphone. if not, i will keep looking.
iTunes is not that bad an application. In terms of music sorting and categorizing it's actually pretty great - but you get one thing you don't with any other media player: the app store.

little a  (op)
Apr 11, 2009, 08:34 AM

Originally Posted by kylef View Post
iTunes is not that bad an application. In terms of music sorting and categorizing it's actually pretty great - but you get one thing you don't with any other media player: the app store.
i didn't say it was bad - i just happen not to like it/want it. what i'm trying to figure out is whether i absolutely need it if i were to purchase an iPhone. thanks

a

Dork.
Professional Poster
Apr 11, 2009, 09:11 AM

I just recently got an iPod Touch, and I went through the process of integrating it with my PC at work, so I share your pain. As far as I can tell, there are no third-party sync tools for the iPhone (or iPod Touch), so all syncing has to go through iTunes. I don't mind iTunes personally, but in the past I've found it to be a resource hog on Windows, so I've avoided using it to play music on my work PC.

There are ways to keep iTunes from taking over your computer entirely, if that is your goal. You can tell iTunes that you don't want it to manage your music library, for instance, and when you import songs into its library it won't make a separate copy of the song, and you can keep your music library managed the way you want it to. You can also disable access to the iTunes Store if you like, although then you'll have no choice but to buy apps you want on the phone or iPod Touch directly....
( Last edited by Dork.; Apr 11, 2009 at 11:37 AM. Reason: I'm an idiot.)

Nodnarb
Mac Elite
Apr 12, 2009, 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by little a View Post
i didn't say it was bad - i just happen not to like it/want it. what i'm trying to figure out is whether i absolutely need it if i were to purchase an iPhone. thanks

a
If you don't want to use iTunes (for whatever reason, and it doesn't seem like you've come up with one real one besides "personal preferences") then do not get the iPhone.

You'll be happier with almost any other phone then trying to work out how to use 14 different apps to get the same functionality as iTunes, and then not even being able to get any apps onto your phone except locally, or to restore it, or etc. etc. etc.

Use iTunes, or get a different phone.

ctt1wbw
Mac Elite
Apr 14, 2009, 11:05 PM

iTunes takes over your computer? How's that? It's easy to uninstall/install and it's only a music manager. How does it take over your computer? I'm confuzzled here.

The reason that the iPhone is so frakkin bloody easy to use is because it uses only itunes to synch music and everything. It doesn't get much easier than that.

Forum Links
Forum Rules