Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Worth upgrading to new 15"MBP for gaming, like WAR and Aion?

Worth upgrading to new 15"MBP for gaming, like WAR and Aion?
NateEssex
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 30, 2009, 11:17 PM

Hi all!
I have a MBP 2,2 with 2.33Ghz, with RadeonX1600 256 MB video card.

I like online gaming and play WoW, WAR and am considering Aion.

Are the new MBP's with dual video cards worth the upgrade? I configured the following for $2,223.00:
2.66GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
4GB 1066MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 2x2GB
500GB Serial ATA Drive @ 7200 rpm
SuperDrive 8x (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
MacBook Pro 15-inch Glossy Widescreen Display
Backlit Keyboard (English) / User's Guide
AppleCare Protection Plan for MacBook Pro (w/or w/o Display) - Auto-enroll

So, any experience with Snow Leopard and the new MBP's with BootCamp? Good gaming results? Does anyone think there will be a new MBP with an updated video card soon?

Thanks for any feedback. I'm tempted to take advantage of the sale before 9/9/09.
MBP 15" 2.33 ghz 256Video Card
40 Gig iPod, Airport Extreme

Rumor
Aug 31, 2009, 02:14 AM

Sure you will benefit from the upgrade, but not because of the "dual" video card. The "dual" aspect is designed for mobile and plugged in use. When mobile, you can use the onboard video, which uses less power but has decreased capabilities. When plugged in, you can use dedicated. However, you can place the settings however you would like, so you could use dedicated all the time, but then it would be performance vs. distance.
I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

NateEssex  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 1, 2009, 10:36 PM

Okay, I guess what I mean to ask is:
How good is the play quality with the new laptops? I have a RadeonX1600, which is decent but not "good". Does the MBP give a "top-of-the-line" laptop experience?

Thanks!
MBP 15" 2.33 ghz 256Video Card
40 Gig iPod, Airport Extreme

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Sep 3, 2009, 12:45 AM

The 9600M is pretty weak, actually. For WoW it would be fine, but for games with a newer engine it's not going to perform very well. I would imagine that Aion would need something faster, if you want to run 30+fps with most of the eyecandy turned up. I love the MBP line, but it's really not a gaming notebook, at least not any games that are graphically demanding.

If you want a fast gaming laptop, look for something with a GTX 260M or a 4870 X2. I know, it won't be a Mac, but it will be 2-4x faster in newer games.

Edit: Something like this.
( Last edited by Shaddim; Sep 3, 2009 at 12:51 AM. )
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

TheoCryst
Mac Elite
Sep 4, 2009, 03:21 PM

Agreed. The new MBP is perfectly suitable for moderate gaming (I can play any of the Source games at max resolution/detail), but any newer games will struggle. It'll be worlds better than an X1600, but I'd never buy it specifically to play new, top-of-the-line games.

Any ramblings are entirely my own, and do not represent those of my employers, coworkers, friends, or species

Forum Links
Forum Rules