Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > whats the best video card i can put into a dual 2.7ghz PMG5?

whats the best video card i can put into a dual 2.7ghz PMG5?
nycdunz
Senior User
Mar 16, 2008, 06:03 AM

I would like to get a new video card to speed up my aperture workflow. However I don't have enough money to buy a new mac pro. So I was wondering if its possible to buy the graphics card that ships with the current mac pros and put it into my Dual 2.7ghz PM G5?

I have a ATI 9600 now... and aperture 2.0 is pretty sluggish on it, even though i have 4.5GB of RAM. Please help

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Mar 16, 2008, 06:13 AM

You have three options (depending on what you can find and are willing to spend): the Radeon 9800, the Radeon X800 and the Nvidia 6800. The fastest card is the X800.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

nycdunz  (op)
Senior User
Mar 16, 2008, 06:17 AM

thanks for the quick reply. How about the ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT 256MB that comes in the new mac pro? or the NVIDIA GEForce 8800 GT 512MB?

Is there any way I can get those cards to work in my G5? Are those 2 new cards that come with the new mac pro's much faster than the X800 XT?

nycdunz  (op)
Senior User
Mar 16, 2008, 07:01 AM

well looks like the x800 xt mac edition will be impossible to get... sigh

does anyone know where i can still get one? This sucks... why did they discontinue this card...

now i cant find a good video card for my G5!

mduell
Posting Junkie
Mar 16, 2008, 12:24 PM

No, none of the Mac Pro cards will work. You don't even have the right slot for them, but even if you did firmware issues would preclude compatibility.

OWC (MacSales) used to have some of the faster AGP cards, but it looks like they just have 9600s now. eBay is probably your best bet.

Don Pickett
Professional Poster
Mar 17, 2008, 12:12 AM

You can get the X800 XT off eBay. I did.
The era of anthropomorphizing hardware is over.

Forum Links
Forum Rules