Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Getting data off an iPhone that's been passcoded?

Getting data off an iPhone that's been passcoded?
starman
Clinically Insane
Aug 10, 2009, 11:13 AM

So, my nephew was playing with my daughter's iPhone and put a passcode on it that he can't remember. Great. From what I read, the only thing I can do is restore it with iTunes, but she's got some pictures and text messages with phone numbers she wants to keep since they were added since her last sync. Any way of getting this data off the phone, or is there some admin thing I can do to this phone via MobileMe that I haven't seen since it's already added to my MM account?

EDIT: Reading more, it seems like it'll sync with my Mac since it was synced with it before. Apparently it gives you grief if you NEVER synced with that computer before. That's good news, and it seems like the most she'll lose are her text messages unless this iPhone app I have that backs them up does so with a passcoded iPhone. Maybe there's hope for this after all.

Oh, and I had a talk with both of them about locking digital devices....
( Last edited by starman; Aug 10, 2009 at 11:23 AM. )

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

macfix
Aug 10, 2009, 11:37 AM

What about a program like PhoneView? With it there are three ways to transfer your files and folders from the iPhone and it looks like there's a free demo.
Ecamm Network: PhoneView: iPhone Disk Mode Solution - Keep your files on the iPhone's flash drive

starman  (op)
Clinically Insane
Aug 10, 2009, 11:39 AM

Ah! That's the name of the app I mentioned above that I couldn't remember. I only tinkered with it once with my own phone, I haven't tried it with a passcoded phone.

It would behoove Apple to have a remote unlock from MobileMe.

starman  (op)
Clinically Insane
Aug 11, 2009, 07:12 AM

Turns out that even if it's passcoded, you can do a full backup and restore so long as your phone's been synced with iTunes on your computer once.

However, it's rather silly of Apple to force you to do it this way. It already knows the iPhone belongs to you, why not just unlock the phone right then and there? You can't sync if it's not yours.

So whatever, the phone didn't lose any data, but I lost an hour of time backing up/restoring it.

And no, PhoneView doesn't allow you to get any non-iPOD data off, just music and pictures.

JKT
Professional Poster
Aug 13, 2009, 07:08 PM

PhoneView does let you get SMS and other data off your iPhone - if you are using the demo version, perhaps it limits what you can do:

Forum Links
Forum Rules