Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Stay Classy, PA: Voter Suppression 2012, 2013, 2014... and so on.

Stay Classy, PA: Voter Suppression 2012, 2013, 2014... and so on. (Page 18)
Snow-i
Professional Poster
Jul 21, 2016, 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by OAW View Post
This is a prime example of how real people are negatively impacted by these silly Voter ID laws ....

107-Year-Old Woman Who Danced With Obama Unable to Get Government-Issued ID - The Root

OAW
This seems like a problem that would not be hard to solve.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jul 21, 2016, 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by Snow-i View Post
This seems like a problem that would not be hard to solve.
Yet state governments seem unmotivated to solve it...

Snow-i
Professional Poster
Jul 21, 2016, 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
Yet state governments seem unmotivated to solve it...
I suppose it would be up to us to motivate them then, wouldn't it?

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jul 21, 2016, 07:05 PM

I suppose it would be up to us to motivate them then, wouldn't it?
Interesting theory as none of us motivated them to pass these laws in the first place.

I think the great irony here is there are more documented cases of people having to jump through amazing hoops to get ID than actual voter fraud. Classic case of the cure being worse than the disease.

Snow-i
Professional Poster
Jul 22, 2016, 01:52 AM

Interesting theory as none of us motivated them to pass these laws in the first place.
I don't recall this being an issue in the public's attention for all that long.

I think the great irony here is there are more documented cases of people having to jump through amazing hoops to get ID than actual voter fraud. Classic case of the cure being worse than the disease.
So why can't we fix both, again? Having none of each sounds better to me. Doesn't it to you?

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 22, 2016, 02:42 PM

I think the great irony here is there are more documented cases of people having to jump through amazing hoops to get ID than actual voter fraud.
They appear to be about equal, and that's with the Left shaking the bushes to find elderly minorities w/o birth certificates or SSNs.
"I have a dream, that my four little children will one day live in a
nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin,
but by the content of their character." - M.L.King Jr

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jul 22, 2016, 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by Cap'n Tightpants View Post
They appear to be about equal, and that's with the Left shaking the bushes to find elderly minorities w/o birth certificates or SSNs.
Considering the time frame it's not equal at all. We're comparing a decade or more a few years of voter ID. And the numbers are accruing even though only half the states implented it.

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 22, 2016, 03:17 PM

They've found, what? 5, maybe 6, cases so far or people not having the paperwork necessary to get a state ID? And every one of those is being handled so that they aren't disenfranchised (and apparently so they can also get Social Security, because they're old, broke, and been living without it, for whatever reason. WTF??

subego
Clinically Insane
Jul 22, 2016, 03:40 PM

So why can't we fix both, again? Having none of each sounds better to me. Doesn't it to you?
The Chicago system, despite issues we've had long ago, seems solid. It's used in other places too.

You sign an affidavit stating you are who you say you are. The election judge compares the signature to the one they have on file.

You are also mailed a "verification of registration" postcard every couple years.

Snow-i
Professional Poster
Jul 22, 2016, 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
The Chicago system, despite issues we've had long ago, seems solid. It's used in other places too.

You sign an affidavit stating you are who you say you are. The election judge compares the signature to the one they have on file.

You are also mailed a "verification of registration" postcard every couple years.
This sounds completely reasonable to me.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jul 29, 2016, 12:58 PM

North Carolina voter ID struck down.

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 29, 2016, 02:43 PM

Their implementation, not the ID system in general, just for clarification.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jul 29, 2016, 09:10 PM

Portions of Wisonsin voting laws struck down as well.

Also WOW at the NC state case:
Most strikingly, the judges point to a "smoking gun" in North Carolina's justification for the law, proving discriminatory intent. The state argued in court that "counties with Sunday voting in 2014 were disproportionately black" and "disproportionately Democratic," and said it did away with Sunday voting as a result.
The argued this. In court.

Snow-i
Professional Poster
Jul 29, 2016, 09:48 PM

Dakar, what's unreasonable about Subego's proposal? Can you see anything about it?

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 29, 2016, 10:04 PM

Portions of Wisonsin voting laws struck down as well.

Also WOW at the NC state case:

The argued this. In court.
If this were Massachusetts and if they'd said:

"counties with Sunday voting in 2014 were disproportionately white" and "disproportionately Republican," and said it did away with Sunday voting as a result.
You wouldn't bat an eye.

subego
Clinically Insane
Jul 30, 2016, 12:04 PM

Dakar, what's unreasonable about Subego's proposal? Can you see anything about it?
He won't be in until Monday, so I'll put on my suit made of Dakar flesh and answer instead.

Hold on... thing's kinda slippery.

"It's fine."

subego
Clinically Insane
Jul 30, 2016, 12:09 PM

The more serious response is I've mentioned this system in the thread before and I don't think any participant ever argued it was too onerous.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Aug 1, 2016, 11:19 AM

Hilariously (to me) this is essentially the same as what we do in PA. I don't get the periodic voter registration card, but I do sign in every election. That's harder to fake.

You wouldn't bat an eye.
That's a hot take.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Aug 2, 2016, 02:21 AM

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/08/01/us...ules.html?_r=0
The majority-white Hancock County Board of Elections and Registration was systematically questioning the registrations of more than 180 black Sparta citizens — a fifth of the city’s registered voters — by dispatching deputies with summonses commanding them to appear in person to prove their residence or lose their voting rights. “When I read that letter, I was kind of nervous,” Mr. Flournoy said in an interview. “I didn’t know what to do.”
That's not intimidating at all.

subego
Clinically Insane
Aug 2, 2016, 05:36 AM

The thing is, I get the impression they could have just purged the rolls and not told those purged anything.

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 2, 2016, 01:30 PM

^^ Exactly, they could have, or just sent letters of notification. The fact they took the time to send deputies to track them down is actually quite thoughtful.

Snow-i
Professional Poster
Aug 2, 2016, 04:36 PM

This article is lacking alottttta details.

How many of the people subpoena'd were black (about 180 or so)? How many were not? (not mentioned)

The article implies that a white mayoral candidate won a narrow victory. Were his/her opponents minority? It's implied, but the article leaves out the particulars.

The title of the article states unequivocally that the aim of these programs was to stop minority voters from voting, yet offers nothing but irrelevant quotes "I didn't know what to do" (uhh I don't know, show up?) and english syntax tricks to support itself. It's sorely lacking in anything but scant circumstantial evidence to back up the claims it makes as statements, not questions. It's one thing to raise the question, it's another to make a statement of opinion and present it as fact

It's a fluff peice spoken in the voice of the author. An op-ed claiming to be news.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Aug 2, 2016, 05:30 PM

Well, the outcome sure leads one to believe there was some poor judgement, if not malicious intent:
Mr. Warren, an African-American who is Sparta’s elections registrar, bought a hand-held video camera and began videotaping the county elections board’s meetings. His evidence helped lead the Georgia N.A.A.C.P., the Lawyers’ Committee and other advocacy groups to sue the county elections board, demanding that voters struck from the rolls be restored unless the county could prove they were ineligible.

A federal judge agreed. So far, 27 of Sparta’s 53 disenfranchised voters have been reinstated; the rest have yet to be located. Hancock County officials insist they did nothing wrong. In depositions this summer, the three white elections board members said their purge of Sparta’s voter rolls not only was correct, but that they would do it again.
---

...and North Dakota's voter ID got an injunction against it.

BadKosh
Professional Poster
Aug 3, 2016, 07:07 AM

BadKosh
Professional Poster
Aug 3, 2016, 07:10 AM

You have 2 years between elections to GET A PHOTO ID. If it IS that important, take care of it. If not STFU. The excuses I've heard ARE ALL BS! Lazy and stupid.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Aug 3, 2016, 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by BadKosh View Post
You have 2 years between elections to GET A PHOTO ID. If it IS that important, take care of it. If not STFU. The excuses I've heard ARE ALL BS! Lazy and stupid.
Given the 'surgical precision with which these laws target African Americans', are you calling black people lazy and stupid?
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

BadKosh
Professional Poster
Aug 3, 2016, 11:36 AM

"surgical precision" ? RACIST MUCH?

I've heard this from different people and groups, but what would YOU call it? TWO YEARS??? How do they get medications, or even get into the White House to dance with President Liar? TWO YEARS!!!! Seems it's ONLY important to political hacks.

andi*pandi
Aug 3, 2016, 11:47 AM

Seems like over 17 pages we've covered this...

subego
Clinically Insane
Aug 3, 2016, 02:04 PM

If I remember the system right, what a Chicago Election judge could have done is mark the ballot as "provisional". That means the person still gets to vote, but needs to go to the election board within a certain amount of time (I think it's a week) and prove they are who they say they are if the vote is to get officially counted.

Snow-i
Professional Poster
Aug 3, 2016, 03:14 PM

Well, the outcome sure leads one to believe there was some poor judgement, if not malicious intent:

---

...and North Dakota's voter ID got an injunction against it.
What came out of those meetings that was deemed offensive? Again, the lack of particulars is disturbing, and your top-down logic even more so. I could video tape a number of things - simply videotaping it and then suing (which they likely would have won regardless of the taping) does not even begin to prove malicious intent or even poor judgement from the board. The way it's presented strongly implies that the contents of the video contain wrongdoing by the board, yet no actual supporting evidence of such is reported.

I am not supporting the board's decision to act in the first place, I am simply tearing down some blatantly dishonest reporting that is designed to evoke an emotional response as opposed to a response formulated on fact & detail. You know, that thing the "news" is supposed to do?

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 3, 2016, 10:41 PM

Originally Posted by Waragainstsleep View Post
Given the 'surgical precision with which these laws target African Americans', are you calling black people lazy and stupid?
Sounds like you are, actually.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Aug 4, 2016, 04:04 AM

Originally Posted by BadKosh View Post
"surgical precision" ? RACIST MUCH?

I've heard this from different people and groups, but what would YOU call it? TWO YEARS??? How do they get medications, or even get into the White House to dance with President Liar? TWO YEARS!!!! Seems it's ONLY important to political hacks.
"Surgical precision" was the term the court used to strike down this racist law. Hence the vast majority of the people you called lazy and stupid are African American.
I assumed you might have read that particular piece of news, or at least heard Alex Jones scream about it and put two and two together.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Aug 4, 2016, 04:05 AM

Sounds like you are, actually.
I know you are but what am I?

Clever.

BadKosh
Professional Poster
Aug 4, 2016, 11:10 AM

Don't listen to Alix Jones or any of that. I stick to SOMA FM's Secret Agent or Classics & Jazz from Paris. I'd rather read.

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 5, 2016, 01:49 AM

I know you are but what am I?

Clever.
It stems from the Left's proclivity for "assisting" such groups into complete dependence.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Aug 5, 2016, 05:29 AM

It stems from the Left's proclivity for "assisting" such groups into complete dependence.
Better that the right helps them to improve themselves using the Darwinian principles most of them don't believe in so they evolve to love multiple long bus journeys I guess.
I'm curious how calling black people stupid and lazy is assisting them though. Thats the part I was initially calling racism, because it looked like thats what Badkosh was implying.

I don't think the dependence argument carries much traction when it comes to voting. Plenty of rich white folks who struggle to find the time, plenty of poor ones who would struggle to find the money if they were being targeted too I bet. But they weren't. Like John Oliver said, these guys 'moneyballed' racism by doing the research into exactly how they could target the voters they don't want to vote. You should be as appalled as anyone that sitting members of the government are trying to usurp democracy so blatantly. Yet again.

Maybe you should send in troops to bring democracy to North Carolina.

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 6, 2016, 01:34 AM

Better that the right helps them to improve themselves
Woah, right there. No conservatives don't. Their position is to GTFO of the way and let people improve themselves. Ultimately, you can't make people's lives better by making them your financial/emotional dependents, because all gov't systems are too imperfect and it will inevitably lead to manipulation. Again, people honestly believed that when Obama was elected he would pay their mortgages, put gas in their cars, and provide for them a better life.

Then reality settled in...

Talk about being "moneyballed". Under 8 years of Obama, an unprecedented percentage left the pockets of the people who trusted him most while he made himself one of the wealthiest politicians in the country.

Barack Obama’s Net Worth Has Risen 438% Since Running for President

But go on and tell us how progressive policies help the poorest of us (and aren't just further padding the pockets of the social elite), how have those policies been anything more than an elaborate ponzi scheme?

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 6, 2016, 07:42 AM

At least there is a hard copy to fall back on if fraud occurs.
https://www.facebook.com/TGNetworkne...2351556638391/
45/47

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Aug 6, 2016, 02:45 PM

But go on and tell us how progressive policies help the poorest of us (and aren't just further padding the pockets of the social elite), how have those policies been anything more than an elaborate ponzi scheme?
This discussion isn't about welfare, its about oppressing the rights of people who are poor enough to be on it, but only if they are black. Apparently many of the poor white people are dumb to believe that having their income cut and being denied healthcare is in their best interests so they remain happy to vote for that.

The simple existence of welfare doesn't make politicians rich. Please explain the mechanism by which Obama has increased welfare payouts in order to make himself richer.
The conservative alternative of cutting taxes for the rich and letting the benefits trickle down has on the other hand, a very obvious mechanism to make those enacting such policies richer by way of lobbying, campaign donations, kickbacks, bribes and eventually board seats after they leave office.

So even if you're right about Obama, doesn't make him any worse than a conservative.

Believe it or not, I'm not a fan of current welfare systems that see people rewarded with free stuff for popping out endless streams of unwanted feral children. I agree with you on this, people will exploit the system. I though believe it is possible to create a system that is fair and functional and performs a worthwhile job for society. I believe someone who works hard and pays their taxes for twenty years shouldn't lose their house inside two months because the economy takes a turn or they contract a nasty disease. But a system that works is a whole other complicated discussion and must start with a proper mandate as to its function and priorities.

What is absolutely wrong is this voter oppression, its a slap in the face of democracy.

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 6, 2016, 05:40 PM

Let's just post this a few more times since CTP seems to be stuck on this one video he can dig up to try to justify his ignorant ass opinion of what he thinks the African-American community at large expected from President Obama.

OAW

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 7, 2016, 04:56 AM

This discussion isn't about welfare, its about oppressing the rights of people who are poor enough to be on it, but only if they are black. Apparently many of the poor white people are dumb to believe that having their income cut and being denied healthcare is in their best interests so they remain happy to vote for that.
Like the blacks who are "dumb enough" to vote back in the same group who oversaw cut their average income by 40% in just 8 years?

The simple existence of welfare doesn't make politicians rich. Please explain the mechanism by which Obama has increased welfare payouts in order to make himself richer.
Believe it or not, I'm not a fan of current welfare systems that see people rewarded with free stuff for popping out endless streams of unwanted feral children. I agree with you on this, people will exploit the system. I though believe it is possible to create a system that is fair and functional and performs a worthwhile job for society. I believe someone who works hard and pays their taxes for twenty years shouldn't lose their house inside two months because the economy takes a turn or they contract a nasty disease. But a system that works is a whole other complicated discussion and must start with a proper mandate as to its function and priorities.
It does when you see where all of those who break our drug laws end up; privately-owned prisons. Poverty creates crime.

The conservative alternative of cutting taxes for the rich and letting the benefits trickle down has on the other hand, a very obvious mechanism to make those enacting such policies richer by way of lobbying, campaign donations, kickbacks, bribes and eventually board seats after they leave office.
The "conservative alternative" is self-reliance, but admittedly it's far from perfect too. Wealth redistribution simply doesn't work, because that mechanism is broken; you can't put out a fire with a bucket brigade if all the buckets have huge holes in the bottoms of them, and every time you pass the water along more of it is lost.

So even if you're right about Obama, doesn't make him any worse than a conservative.
He's been far worse, because he abused trust. That woman who was so ecstatic about Obama "paying for her gas" didn't realize she was about to lose almost half her income over the next two terms. They're still expecting their quid pro quo, but he's too busy eyeing his coming $15M /year board seat with Google.

What is absolutely wrong is this voter oppression, its a slap in the face of democracy.
Gerrymandering is only going to get worse as minority communities get poorer, and they're getting poorer the more they rely on the gov't to survive.

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 7, 2016, 04:58 AM

Let's just post this a few more times since CTP seems to be stuck on this one video he can dig up to try to justify his ignorant ass opinion of what he thinks the African-American community at large expected from President Obama.
QQ

Too bad, he's your hero.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Aug 7, 2016, 06:55 AM

It feels like you're saying that 90%+ of Americans are wrongly under the impression that Obama and the Dems are/have been spending a fortune more on welfare payments than in the past. As usual its just an assertion from you. Where are you getting this 40% figure from?

It also feels like you're saying Obama owns shares in one or more of these private prison companies. Not an unfathomable claim but again, any proof of this?

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 8, 2016, 06:19 AM

It feels like you're saying that 90%+ of Americans are wrongly under the impression that Obama and the Dems are/have been spending a fortune more on welfare payments than in the past. As usual its just an assertion from you. Where are you getting this 40% figure from?
You can't read the above graph?

It also feels like you're saying Obama owns shares in one or more of these private prison companies. Not an unfathomable claim but again, any proof of this?
He spent >3x more time fundraising for himself and the DNC than actually running the country, you tell me.

Obama Is Spending an Unprecedented Amount of Time Fundraising: Scandal? - The Atlantic

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 8, 2016, 09:26 AM

OAW
QQ

Too bad, he's your hero.
This was Election Day 2008. Then there's the Obama Phone lady.
45/47

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Aug 8, 2016, 11:56 AM

Can we not litigate Obamas presidency in the voter suppression thread? Thanks

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Aug 8, 2016, 12:00 PM

What came out of those meetings that was deemed offensive? Again, the lack of particulars is disturbing, and your top-down logic even more so. I could video tape a number of things - simply videotaping it and then suing (which they likely would have won regardless of the taping) does not even begin to prove malicious intent or even poor judgement from the board. The way it's presented strongly implies that the contents of the video contain wrongdoing by the board, yet no actual supporting evidence of such is reported.

I am not supporting the board's decision to act in the first place, I am simply tearing down some blatantly dishonest reporting that is designed to evoke an emotional response as opposed to a response formulated on fact & detail. You know, that thing the "news" is supposed to do?
You seem to be projecting the entire contents of the article on me when I highlighted one section that appeared malicious. Am I endorsing the entirety of an article by posting it?

You seem more concerned with the reporting than the few facts that were corroborated.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Aug 8, 2016, 12:08 PM

North Carolinas redistricting is getting challenged in court.

Snow-i
Professional Poster
Aug 8, 2016, 01:02 PM

You seem to be projecting the entire contents of the article on me when I highlighted one section that appeared malicious. Am I endorsing the entirety of an article by posting it?

You seem more concerned with the reporting than the few facts that were corroborated.
You used the article to support an argument that there was some sort of malfeasance going on. The only "corroborated facts" I can see is that the board of elections moved to verify the identity of an unknown number of voters, 180 or so of which were minority, then got sued for it.

Originally Posted by Dakar
What are you basing that statement on if not the article you then cited? Is there another source you are using to draw that conclusion?

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Aug 8, 2016, 01:43 PM

The corroborated fact is the sending law enforcement to verify voter registration. I draw my conclusion on the context of the USs history of voter intimidation. If there was evidence this is SOP everywhere then I would be less likely to keep my conclusion.

Forum Links
Forum Rules