Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > "previous systems"

"previous systems"
vandymac
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 19, 2004, 10:57 PM

i'm currently running 10.3.2, but a while back in jag, i had to reinstall twice due to some problems while doing some theming. i only upgraded to panther instead of doing a clean install due to my lack of available resources to back-up before doing so. as a result, I now have two of those wonderful "previous system" folders hanging around from my aforementioned problems, which brings me to a question: do i need those folders at all? i feel like they're just taking up space on my rapidly shrinking hard drive. what exactly are they for anyway? any help would be appreciated
Stranger, if you passing meet me and desire to speak to me, why should you not speak to me? And why should I not speak to you? -Whitman

Dex13
Mac Elite
Jan 19, 2004, 11:05 PM

No not at all unless you have you have something important in the previous systems you need to extract.

:edit:
They are just archives of your previous system, it seems as each time you re installed you did an "Archive and Install option"

Brass
Professional Poster
Jan 19, 2004, 11:09 PM

They are there is case you need to copy anything from them that was not automatically copied to the new system when you upgraded it.

Eg, Fonts, Preferences, etc from the old system.

It's safe to delete them, but if you're not sure everything made it from the old system to the new one, it might be good to keep them around for a few weeks (or months) after the install/update, just to be sure.

vandymac  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 19, 2004, 11:44 PM

alright guys thanks for the help, i'm pretty sure i've moved what i need, but didn't want to screw myself over
Stranger, if you passing meet me and desire to speak to me, why should you not speak to me? And why should I not speak to you? -Whitman

Forum Links
Forum Rules