Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > iMac G5 Sound Problem - iMac owners please test!

iMac G5 Sound Problem - iMac owners please test!
Franz
Forum Regular
Oct 8, 2004, 01:08 AM

Hello all,

I just received my iMac G5 and I love it. However, one thing bothers me just a little. When playing a song in iTunes and receiving an instant message, there is a "pop" sound (along with the IM received sound).

Thankfully, this only happens when I use the iMac's speakers (dont plug in headphones or seperate speakers). My friend has the same problem, does anyone else have this problem? I'd just like to know if it is just our computers or all iMacs.

(PS, I was using iTunes and Proteus (proteusx.com), but i believe the same thing happens if you use iChat as well).

Thanks for any help!

PEHowland
Forum Regular
Oct 8, 2004, 01:51 AM

Originally posted by Franz:
Hello all,

I just received my iMac G5 and I love it. However, one thing bothers me just a little. When playing a song in iTunes and receiving an instant message, there is a "pop" sound (along with the IM received sound).

Thankfully, this only happens when I use the iMac's speakers (dont plug in headphones or seperate speakers). My friend has the same problem, does anyone else have this problem? I'd just like to know if it is just our computers or all iMacs.

(PS, I was using iTunes and Proteus (proteusx.com), but i believe the same thing happens if you use iChat as well).

Thanks for any help!
Have you tried putting the energy saving mode on highest? Pops and crackles can sometimes be due to access issues on the PCI bus, and maybe it is a result of the machine waking up from a lower power state? Just a guess, but worth a try.
Paul

Wassenaar, The Netherlands.

Home: iMac G5 1.8GHz
Work: Powermac Quad and MacbookPro 17" C2D

Franz  (op)
Forum Regular
Oct 8, 2004, 02:45 AM

Yep the energy saver is on highest. That was one of the first things I've done.

Finrock
Forum Regular
Oct 8, 2004, 07:05 AM

Exact same thing happens to me through the internal speakers. Doesn't happen when I'm using the audio out (headphones, stereo) or through the AirPort Express.

I'm sure a software update will fix this. 10.3.6 perhaps?
Two atoms were talking one day. One atom said to the other "you know, I think I've lost some electrons." The other atom said "are you sure?" The atom said "yeah, I'm positive." www.thisoldpodcast.com

Timan
Forum Regular
Oct 8, 2004, 10:28 AM

Yep I have the same exact problem, I've called apple about it, and they asked me to open up iMovie and use the internal mic to record the sound it makes, so I did and sent it back to them.

If you look on apples forums, seems everyone has this problem.
- Tim

poochg3
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 8, 2004, 11:53 AM

I have the same problem, Apple needs to fix this.

Link
Professional Poster
Oct 12, 2004, 01:54 AM

I've had similar problems with my g4.. well powermac.. so tell me, do you guys get skipping audio in general too?
Aloha

De Luca
Oct 13, 2004, 10:46 AM

I also have this problem. It mainly presents itself when I have two audio programs running (i.e. iTunes in background with iChat or system sounds).

I also called tech support and after going through a couple tests the final thing the 2nd level tech said I would have to do is "achive and install." I refused and said, "you can just close the case then because I'm not about to go through that process for nothing." I mentioned that it's on apple's own discussion board and that I'd rather just wait for an update from Apple. He got very annoyed and said the update may never come if something else on my system is causing the issue. Whatever.

Person Man
Professional Poster
Oct 13, 2004, 10:27 PM

Originally posted by De Luca:
I also called tech support and after going through a couple tests the final thing the 2nd level tech said I would have to do is "achive and install." I refused and said, "you can just close the case then because I'm not about to go through that process for nothing." I mentioned that it's on apple's own discussion board and that I'd rather just wait for an update from Apple. He got very annoyed and said the update may never come if something else on my system is causing the issue. Whatever.
Next time they tell you to do that, and you know that it won't solve any problems, either tell them you've already done it, or say, "OK," and then later call back and say that you did it, and the problem is still there. They have no way of knowing whether you really did an archive and install or not, and there's no reason to close the case.

De Luca
Oct 14, 2004, 06:50 AM

Originally posted by Person Man:
Next time they tell you to do that, and you know that it won't solve any problems, either tell them you've already done it, or say, "OK," and then later call back and say that you did it, and the problem is still there. They have no way of knowing whether you really did an archive and install or not, and there's no reason to close the case.
You're right. Or I could have said "no" to the question of having other software installed. I used to do tech support and I had my ways of figuring out of they were lying though :-) Either way, he wasn't about to find a solution on the phone. I only wanted to make apple aware.

Finrock
Forum Regular
Nov 7, 2004, 07:48 PM

10.3.6 resolved this issue for me. Anyone else?
Two atoms were talking one day. One atom said to the other "you know, I think I've lost some electrons." The other atom said "are you sure?" The atom said "yeah, I'm positive." www.thisoldpodcast.com

bdlewis
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 7, 2004, 10:02 PM

I updated to 10.3.6 and that solves the sound problem - (popping sound).

Forum Links
Forum Rules