Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Tiger or Leopard?

Tiger or Leopard?
AlbanianGenome
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 13, 2009, 11:13 PM

For using on a Powerbook G4 1.5ghz with 2 gigs of ram and a 64 meg ati radeon graphics card? Any suggestions? I have access to both, but from what I remember, 10.4 was the speediest for this machine, and 10.5 starting taking advantage of the intel processing. I just had my Macbook Pro 2.4ghz stolen last week but I was able to find this machine to use until I can reinvest in the future and was just looking to run it at optimal speed. Any comments or suggestions are recommended, thanks!

gradient
Mac Elite
Jun 14, 2009, 12:11 AM

Leopard will be a tad slower but I'd still recommend it for it's improved feature set and more future-proof nature.

Cold Warrior
Jun 14, 2009, 12:19 AM

It's an oxymoron to put a future-proof OS on a no-future platform (PowerPC).

But you're right from the software/OS perspective. There are apps out there that will run on Leopard only or their newer versions may not support 10.4. Of course their old versions may run on 10.4, but that defeats the purpose of upgrades. For example, it appears version 1.0 of the popular media player VLC will be 10.5 or later only.

AlbanianGenome  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 14, 2009, 05:58 AM

so are we saying that it is worth the upgrade to 10.5? I have seen a lot of my favorite apps being produced only for 10.5 now. I think this machine should last until the next update of the macbook pro series in jan. So until then, 10.5 is the way to go? Still looking for some other opinions on this matter. Thanks guys!

Forum Links
Forum Rules