Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > IE5 Problems...

IE5 Problems...
vutenor
Forum Regular
Apr 20, 2000, 10:59 AM

Is anyone else having trouble with IE5?
It was working like a charm, then things started loading slower and slower, and now they don't load at all. I thought it was my internet connection, then I used netscape and my cable modem cooks!!

wlonh
Professional Poster
Apr 20, 2000, 11:13 AM

quit IE and trash the folder named Explorer and the folder named MS Internet Cache in your Preferences folder in the System Folder, EXCEPT FOR the file named Favorites.html in the Explorer folder... THAT is your BOOKMARKS! drag it to your desktop first

then relaunch IE and quit it and replace the bookmarks file to its proper place

vutenor  (op)
Forum Regular
Apr 20, 2000, 11:21 AM

Thanks for the info, but it didn't work. I did exactly as you said and it still won't load any pages. It's stuck on "sending request" whenever I type in a webpage.

wlonh
Professional Poster
Apr 20, 2000, 11:36 AM

ok then it is likely that you have a bit of latent corruption in your Internet Pref's and /or TCP/IP pref's and also you should trash the file named MacTCP DNR, and if that file does not regenerate at restart then you can get a copy of it from your MacOS CD

trashing Internet pref's and TCP/IP pref's requires resetting those control panels so make sure you have that info handy

[This message has been edited by wlonh (edited 04-20-2000).]

TheAdmiral
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 20, 2000, 12:00 PM

This forum has a generic "IE5 problems" label so I thought I'd post a question that doesn't pertain to the one above... I have IE5 on a G4/450 and a PowerBook 3400 and I've noticed two problems on the PowerBook: (1) I experience a lag when trying to switch programs (going from IE to ICQ or Outlook or PictureViewer, etc). The lag lasts anywhere from 2 to 8 seconds (an eternity when you're a power user). Both computers use ACTION GoMac but the G4 experiences no lag whatsoever. I realize the speed difference between the two CPUs but the lag on the PowerBook is really annoying. Problem (2): Cookies. I have cookies turned on on both the G4 and the PowerBook, yet on the PowerBook, certain sites tell me I don't have cookies turned on. Xoom is an example of this. I've tried deleting the old cookies and letting Xoom & other sites send me new cookies but it doesn't work. IE5 is set up identically on both computers, so what's going on?

------------------
-The Admiral
"Understanding is a three-edged sword." -Kosh, Babylon 5

walexx
Apr 22, 2000, 07:18 AM

Ive had probs with IE5.0 too. Half the time pics dont load up, and other times if I try to quit a window I am looking at it takes 5 to 10 seconds for that window to disappear. It can also be extremely slow at times. Ive spat the dummy and gone back to good old Netscape. Mind u I do still use IE5.0 at times as it looks so damn cool , but at the end of the day netscape does the job for me.

wlonh
Professional Poster
Apr 22, 2000, 07:58 AM

Forum Links
Forum Rules