Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > 1st & 2nd generation differences

1st & 2nd generation differences
gooser
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 27, 2008, 01:55 PM

i'm thinking about picking up a 1st or 2nd generation ipod off ebay if i can find one cheap enough. something that will work with os9. i seem to remember somewhat that when ipods first came out some were meant for windows and some were meant for macs. is that the difference in these generations? if only someone could refresh my memory. thanx.
imac g3 600
imac g4 800 superdrive
ibook 466

Sage
Mac Elite
Jan 27, 2008, 02:24 PM

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 27, 2008, 03:43 PM

Only the 3G iPods were either Mac or Windows. The 1st gens were Mac only.

If you HAVE to work with OS9, you are stuck with iTunes 2.X and nothing higher. I hope you have a copy to install. it can be hard to come by (although it might be on the OS9 CD).

Here's the Wiki iTunes history page.

The nice thing about the iPod 1st and 2nd generation is you can drop a bigger HD (verify what you buy will work before trying - don't take my word for it) in them and replace the battery and get 20 hours of life out of them.
( Last edited by Eriamjh; Jan 27, 2008 at 03:44 PM. Reason: I suck.)

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

vmarks
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 28, 2008, 11:08 AM

The 3rd generation were the ones that Apple shipped expressly for Windows with iTunes for windows. However, they had gen1 and 2 working with Windows with MusicMatch - see Installing MUSICMATCH Jukebox Software

The apple retail stores sold Belkin Firewire PCI cards expressly so that iPod users could work with Windows.

Gen 1 and 2 will both work with OS 9.
Gen 1 = 5, 10GB, physical scroll wheel.
Gen 2 = 10, 20GB, touch wheel with physical buttons surrounding it.

Gen 1 and 2 suffer from a few problems. Gen 1 will have the wheel get too loose. I found that removing the wheel (place masking tape over wheel and then pull tape to lift wheel off without marking it) and packing the bearing with marine teflon grease made it spin, but with the resistance similar to when it was new.

Gen 1 and 2 both suffer from strain on the firewire port from the cable, and this can break the solder joints for the firewire connector off the logic board. I have resoldered a few of these.

Gen 1 and 2 both suffer from the ring around the headphone jack for the remote control breaking. I have superglued or replaced the jack.

Forum Links
Forum Rules