Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Lowering the drinking age to 18 - US

Lowering the drinking age to 18 - US (Page 2)
Eug
Clinically Insane
Aug 21, 2008, 06:09 PM

They have that for basic motorcycle licences where I live, but it's independent of age. EtOH must be zero on a motorcycle. It's 0.08 when you graduate to the next level of licence. That's the ONLY real difference.

I've always kinda thought that was odd, because it basically says when-you-get-your-upgraded-licence-you-are-given-permission-to-drink-and-drive.

OreoCookie
Aug 22, 2008, 02:14 AM

Originally Posted by Snow-i View Post
crazy idea: 18-21 drinking permit.
And that's supposed to work with college students?
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Aug 22, 2008, 02:34 AM

taking Helmling's idea and running with it...

Here's a thought, test each person according to maturity and evaluate if they're fit to handle drinking, driving, voting, marriage, etc.. None of this blanket law BS for everyone, let people extend to their true potential or sink like a stone. Some will test well at 16, others at 21, and some may never pass certain tests.

or

Remove restrictions from everything and let nature sort it out.
( Last edited by Shaddim; Aug 22, 2008 at 02:43 AM. )
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Aug 22, 2008, 08:30 AM

Originally Posted by Shaddim View Post
taking Helmling's idea and running with it...

Here's a thought, test each person according to maturity and evaluate if they're fit to handle drinking, driving, voting, marriage, etc.. None of this blanket law BS for everyone, let people extend to their true potential or sink like a stone. Some will test well at 16, others at 21, and some may never pass certain tests.
Nice idea. I'm not sure it's possible, though. How would you test for maturity and fitness to handle drinking, driving, voting, marriage, etc?

Driving seems easy. Drinking? Take the person out to a bar and evaluate how they handle themselves? Voting? "I'm sorry, you voted 'Democrat', you're obviously not mature enough for this yet"?.

The problem with assessing maturing is that it's going to be very subjective, and most people will be able to fake maturity for the purpose of the test. You'd almost need to conduct peer interviews; poll randomly selected students in the person's classes as well as their teachers. Of course, that could get costly.

ebuddy
Posting Junkie
Aug 22, 2008, 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by Wiskedjak View Post
Nice idea. I'm not sure it's possible, though. How would you test for maturity and fitness to handle drinking, driving, voting, marriage, etc?

Driving seems easy. Drinking? Take the person out to a bar and evaluate how they handle themselves? Voting? "I'm sorry, you voted 'Democrat', you're obviously not mature enough for this yet"?.

The problem with assessing maturing is that it's going to be very subjective, and most people will be able to fake maturity for the purpose of the test. You'd almost need to conduct peer interviews; poll randomly selected students in the person's classes as well as their teachers. Of course, that could get costly.
I completely agree. In sheer laws of numbers and the incredibly knee-jerk desire to be offended, some group of people would no doubt be disenfranchised by this testing. Whether they truly were or not of course would be just as subjective.

There is another piece to Shaddim's proposal and that is absolute lawlessness. I'm not sure this'd work either. Though, I can't offhand give any reasons why.
ebuddy

OreoCookie
Aug 22, 2008, 09:42 AM

Anarchy ≠ freedom, I agree.

Railroader
Banned
Aug 22, 2008, 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by Chongo View Post
The draft age was 21 until FDR lowered it during WWII
Here you go:
Lower the drinking age to 20
Raise the draft/minimum military age to 20
Add 2 years of mandatory college/tech
If you don't want to go to 2 extra years of college/tech, sign a waiver and start drinking at 20.

ebuddy
Posting Junkie
Aug 22, 2008, 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by Railroader View Post
Here you go:
Lower the drinking age to 20
Raise the draft/minimum military age to 20
If you don't want to go to 2 extra years of college/tech, sign a waiver and start drinking at 20.
... and another round for me and my friend Railroader please.
ebuddy

Railroader
Banned
Aug 22, 2008, 11:17 AM

Eh, I stopped drinking. Thanks for the offer! I just do coffee or coke-a-cola. Oh, and fruit smoothies. I love my fruit smoothies. Like little margaritas.

amazing
Professional Poster
Aug 22, 2008, 12:26 PM

Here's the type of education effort it's going to need:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080822/...tudent_conduct

IMO, this should start in high school. Mandatory life-style classes with follow-up in the community. The longer you wait, the more deeply set the pattern.

Railroader
Banned
Aug 22, 2008, 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by amazing View Post
Here's the type of education effort it's going to need:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080822/...tudent_conduct
What if a student lives 20 miles away and breaks a minor law? Not according to that article.

The universities are only doing these kinds of things to protect the universities images, they are not doing it out of altruistic reasons

Originally Posted by amazing View Post
IMO, this should start in high school. Mandatory life-style classes with follow-up in the community. The longer you wait, the more deeply set the pattern.
IMO, no. Adults need to start acting responsible and acting like adults.

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 22, 2008, 12:59 PM

I'm not understanding what this part has to do with drinking.

amazing
Professional Poster
Aug 22, 2008, 01:20 PM

I believe the world's been around around long enough that "adults need to start acting responsible and acting like adults" has demonstably not worked out. That's what education is for.

Attitudes towards alcohol are taught by cultures and families at a very early age. I was in French schools from age 9 to 12. At one school (demi-pension) we got a half-glass of wine, topped off with water, with lunch, and we learned that we still had to function in class, still had to think and take tests, all of that. The attitude was "in vino veritas", and you were expected be able to handle yourself, stay rational, not surrender to the basest behavior. Wine was expected to enhance your enjoyment of life, to enhance the life of the mind.

In German schools from age 12 to 16, the attitude towards alcohol was somewhat the same, with some additions, namely being expected to sing drinking songs and be somewhat rowdy, in a teutonic way (heavily serious.)

In the US, kids are "educated" by society to believe that alcohol causes you to lose all rational control and that it's OK to fight and behave badly. Alcohol is a society-given excuse to behave like animals (which is slur upon the animal kingdom, since animals always behave better than that.) So, that's what kids do--because they haven't been taught any better, because they're going to fulfill your expectations.

If you're taught that you have to "handle your liquor" then that's what you do. If you're taught that alcohol causes the lowest common denominator behavior, then that's what you do.

Railroader
Banned
Aug 22, 2008, 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by Dakar the Fourth View Post
I'm not understanding what this part has to do with drinking.
Needed to fill the gap between HS and military. Don't you judge me.

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 22, 2008, 02:15 PM

So the waiver is to... go into the military early?

Railroader
Banned
Aug 22, 2008, 04:24 PM

So the waiver is to... go into the military early?
Oh, good idea! But not in a combat role, that way people can't say "you can die for your country at 18, but you can't drink, how screwed up is that?"

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Aug 22, 2008, 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by Wiskedjak View Post

We can just create a general "maturity test":

60+, you can vote
70+, you can drive
80+, you can drink
90+, you can be a parent
99+, you can do any damned thing you want, but will be too disgusted with the rest of humanity to bother.

Personally, I like the idea of removing all the safeguards and just let people govern their own lives.

Choose one extreme or the other, this moderate stuff doesn't work.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Aug 22, 2008, 09:36 PM

We can just create a general "maturity test"
It's a really nice idea. But, really, have you given any thought as to *how* you would test maturity?

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Aug 22, 2008, 09:38 PM

I can't be bothered with such details, I've just saved all of humanity!
- Thomas Paine

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Aug 23, 2008, 12:27 AM

I can't be bothered with such details, I've just saved all of humanity!
Of course.

kmkkid
Professional Poster
Aug 25, 2008, 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by Snow-i View Post
crazy idea: 18-21 drinking permit.

Clear record and limitations put on the amount you can drink legally from age 18-21. Maybe even set a BAC that you must be below at all times.....say .15 or something like that. Kind of like a provisional license.

You must present it along with your license at a bar or liquor store. And still must remain below .02 when driving. .07 or .08 is the usual limit for adults driving now....set a strict no tolerance for kids and set harsh penalties for violating this. Basically send the message that its ok to drink responsibly, but if you're driving u'd better not touch the booze.

I agree with the permit idea, except it should apply to all ages.

If you have a certain nubmer of criminal offences/infractions, you should not be allowed to drink. As a criminal you forfeit your right to "enjoy" yourself, whether the criminal act was committed because of alcohol or not, but especially if it was committed due to alcohol. I don't know how long the ban/lack of permit should last on such people though, that's the toughie.

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 25, 2008, 09:32 AM

Oh, good idea! But not in a combat role, that way people can't say "you can die for your country at 18, but you can't drink, how screwed up is that?"
Ok, I'm totally confused then. What was the waiver for?

OreoCookie
Aug 25, 2008, 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by kmkkid View Post
If you have a certain nubmer of criminal offences/infractions, you should not be allowed to drink. As a criminal you forfeit your right to "enjoy" yourself, whether the criminal act was committed because of alcohol or not, but especially if it was committed due to alcohol. I don't know how long the ban/lack of permit should last on such people though, that's the toughie.
Non-sensical idea, except possibly if the criminal offense was specifically related to alcohol. In prison, afaik, there is no alcohol (officially, at least), but why do criminals who have served their time forfeited the right to drink? Or enjoy themselves? Especially if the two are not related (e. g. fraud, tax evasion, whatnot).

kmkkid
Professional Poster
Aug 25, 2008, 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by OreoCookie View Post
Non-sensical idea, except possibly if the criminal offense was specifically related to alcohol. In prison, afaik, there is no alcohol (officially, at least), but why do criminals who have served their time forfeited the right to drink? Or enjoy themselves? Especially if the two are not related (e. g. fraud, tax evasion, whatnot).
Do we really want ANYONE with a criminal nature/tendancies - no matter the charge - ever getting drunk?

I sure as hell don't.

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Aug 25, 2008, 12:11 PM

Do we really want ANYONE with a criminal nature/tendancies - no matter the charge - ever getting drunk?

I sure as hell don't.
Are you really saying that anyone who is ever convicted of any crime should be forever denied alcohol?

Railroader
Banned
Aug 25, 2008, 12:19 PM

Ok, I'm totally confused then. What was the waiver for?
To avoid the two extra years of school. Work full-time or just chill. But you still can''t drink until 20. Or enter the military and be placed in a combat zone.

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 25, 2008, 12:21 PM

To avoid the two extra years of school. Work full-time or just chill. But you still can''t drink until 20. Or enter the military and be placed in a combat zone.
...ok, by why make two more years of school mandatory?

OreoCookie
Aug 25, 2008, 12:21 PM

I sure as hell don't.
What kind of totalitarian state do you have in mind here, wow!

kmkkid
Professional Poster
Aug 25, 2008, 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by nonhuman View Post
Are you really saying that anyone who is ever convicted of any crime should be forever denied alcohol?
No. Read what I said above, I'm not sure how you would go about deciding at what point in time they could gain a permit.

What I am saying is that I don't care if the crime was embezzlement or rape, I don't want these people drinking as soon as they get back on the streets.

In Canada I know judges can restrict a persons use of alcohol while on probation.

I guess what I'm saying is that, make every person convicted of a charge be on a probation with this no-alcohol restriction for at least a couple years - depending on the severity of the crime and their mental stability of course.

kmkkid
Professional Poster
Aug 25, 2008, 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by OreoCookie View Post
What kind of totalitarian state do you have in mind here, wow!
A perfect world Maybe saying "ever" was a bit harsh, I agree. I certainly don't want a criminal having alcohol the day they are released.

OreoCookie
Aug 25, 2008, 12:34 PM

No. Read what I said above, I'm not sure how you would go about deciding at what point in time they could gain a permit.
I think we understand just fine, because you say yourself:
What I am saying is that I don't care if the crime was embezzlement or rape, I don't want these people drinking as soon as they get back on the streets.
I don't know what embezzlement has to do with alcohol or that drunks are more likely to embezzle again.
Seems to me that your suggestion is supposed to be an additional punishment, even after the person has served its time in jail or accepted the rest of the sentence (e. g. by paying a fine/damages). Your suggested punishment is heinous and doesn't do anything to reduce crime.

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Aug 25, 2008, 12:35 PM

In Canada I know judges can restrict a persons use of alcohol while on probation.

I guess what I'm saying is that, make every person convicted of a charge be on a probation with this no-alcohol restriction for at least a couple years - depending on the severity of the crime and their mental stability of course.
I still fail to see how that would be useful or even desirable. Or do you really think that an embezzler, upon getting out of jail, is going to go right back to embezzling upon having a pint with lunch?

kmkkid
Professional Poster
Aug 25, 2008, 12:45 PM

They might.

I know of a couple people who were charged with theft.

Coincidently after having a few beer the day they got out, committed theft again.

You show your true colours when drunk, and act upon them.

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Aug 25, 2008, 12:46 PM

They might.

Coincidently after having a few beer the day they got out, committed theft again.

Load of crap.

Just because they had a few beers and then committed theft again, doesn't mean that they wouldn't have committed that theft if they hadn't had those beers.

kmkkid
Professional Poster
Aug 25, 2008, 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by nonhuman View Post
Load of crap.

Just because they had a few beers and then committed theft again, doesn't mean that they wouldn't have committed that theft if they hadn't had those beers.
Do you work for Budweiser?

It's been proven alcohol lowers your inhibitions to stay on the straight and narrow.

Some people doing much worse things than others.

And yes, I doubt had they not been drunk at the time, they probably wouldn't have committed the crime.

It's futile to argue this. This is my perspective and thoughts towards the subject. If I seem like some sort of crazy loon dictator - so be it.

I'd just rather not have criminals getting drunk anytime soon after they are released.

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Aug 25, 2008, 12:57 PM

Do you work for Budweiser?

It's been proven alcohol lowers your inhibitions to stay on the straight and narrow.

Some people doing much worse things than others.

And yes, I doubt had they not been drunk at the time, they probably wouldn't have committed the crime.

It's futile to argue this. This is my perspective and thoughts towards the subject. If I seem like some sort of crazy loon dictator - so be it.
Yes, alcohol does lower inhibitions. However it does not cause you to do things that you wouldn't otherwise be inclined to do. If upon being released from jail a criminal is still inclined towards criminal acts, then the problem is that either they weren't in jail for long enough, or jail is simply ineffective and persuading people away from crime.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Aug 25, 2008, 01:17 PM

Being inclined to do something is completely different from actually doing it — this is the entire basis for morality. I might be biologically inclined to boink my neighbor's wife or to kill people who piss me off, but I don't do it because I know it's wrong. It's incredibly difficult to get rid of deep-seated inclinations — it can take years if we manage it at all — and that's why we need to have self-control.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Aug 25, 2008, 01:18 PM

We can just create a general "maturity test":

60+, you can vote
70+, you can drive
80+, you can drink
90+, you can be a parent
99+, you can do any damned thing you want, but will be too disgusted with the rest of humanity to bother.

Personally, I like the idea of removing all the safeguards and just let people govern their own lives.

Choose one extreme or the other, this moderate stuff doesn't work.
Good start. But how about guns ?

And listening to Britney Spears ?

We need MORE rules and MORE tests.

-t

vmarks
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 25, 2008, 01:18 PM

They might.

"Coincidentally" is the correct word.

That is to say, this was a coincidence, not a cause.

It's very much the same thing as saying, "when they committed theft, they had worn a blue shirt. We should forbid criminals from wearing blue shirts in order to prevent crime."

Railroader
Banned
Aug 25, 2008, 03:06 PM

...ok, by why make two more years of school mandatory?
To keep those young punks off my lawn(s)!

just covering my bases for those who want to enter the military, but have nothing to do between HS and 20 years old. Also, alternatively, we could make those two years mandatory to enter the military and eliminate the 2 years off/waiver.

Just throwing ideas into the mix. Fortunately, I am not a legislator.

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 25, 2008, 03:18 PM

just covering my bases for those who want to enter the military, but have nothing to do between HS and 20 years old. Also, alternatively, we could make those two years mandatory to enter the military and eliminate the 2 years off/waiver.

I kinda get it, but it doesn't seem necessary (or prudent) given many people go neither to school nor the military upon graduating high school.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Aug 25, 2008, 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
Good start. But how about guns ?

And listening to Britney Spears ?

We need MORE rules and MORE tests.

-t
Britney? Ban her, period.

Guns? Same test as drinking. In fact, part of the test is being able to handle a firearm properly when you're drunk.
- Thomas Paine

Rumor  (op)
Aug 25, 2008, 05:01 PM

A couple of countries have a mandatory two year military enlistment I think. Switzerland comes to mind, but I could be wrong.
I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Aug 25, 2008, 05:53 PM

I think the drinking age should be lowered to 14 in accompany of a parent for drinks with less than 7% alcohol (that'd cover most beers.)

Then I think it should be lowered to 18 overall.

I think the problem with drinking in America is that alcohol is seen as this magical taboo up until you're 21. If it wasn't restricted until such a late age, I think people would drink more responsibly because it wouldn't be such a big issue. People wouldn't think it's "cool" to drink.

No matter what, you're going to have the frat party with beer bongs. It's not going to change no matter what age limit is set.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

Railroader
Banned
Aug 25, 2008, 10:28 PM

Originally Posted by Rumor View Post
A couple of countries have a mandatory two year military enlistment I think. Switzerland comes to mind, but I could be wrong.
Oh no, I meant two years of mandatory schooling.

Railroader
Banned
Aug 25, 2008, 10:30 PM

I kinda get it, but it doesn't seem necessary (or prudent) given many people go neither to school nor the military upon graduating high school.
That's what the two year "waiver" was for. Don't want to spend those extra two years in school, sign a waiver and work for a couple years before military enlistment.

This is getting too complicated for me. Might drive me to drink. Good thing I am over 21.

ghporter
Administrator
Aug 25, 2008, 10:40 PM

I remember when the drinking age was, almost nationwide, 18 years. Some of us actually paid attention and were safe about it. Only a few, though. The majority of 18 year old drinkers were both insufficiently safe/cautious and arrogant about it. And then came the calls for raising the drinking age, and the majority of 18 year olds just plain didn't vote, let alone let their legislators know what they wanted.

Since the insurance companies turn out to be right about how they charge young men much higher rates than others (the prefrontal lobe of the brain, which is responsible for reason and decision making, doesn't mature in most people, especially males, until around 25), I can hardly see how the current crop of youth is likely to actually do anything practical about this issue.

Finally, because it is illegal and carries some rather unpleasant penalties, a law about drinking age IS EFFECTIVE. Sure, underage drinking happens, but it is, by its nature, circumscribed and kept hidden, which means fewer underage drunks doing stupid things in cars and in public. Take away that externally imposed limit, and we'd see a return of excessive rates of 18-20 year olds driving drunk and killing themselves and others, like we had in the early 1980s. This one has been tried, folks. The result of the experiment was "fail."

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

subego
Clinically Insane
Aug 25, 2008, 10:59 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
I remember when the drinking age was, almost nationwide, 18 years.

Not that I disagree with your overall thrust, I seem to recall that at the time drunk driving in general wasn't stigmatized nearly to the degree it is now.

IOW, it probably wouldn't be quite the war zone it was last time.

zombie punk
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 25, 2008, 11:46 PM

Freedom isn't free.

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Aug 25, 2008, 11:59 PM

Nor are platitudes. That will be a 5¢ usage fee, please.

Forum Links
Forum Rules