Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Need Some Serious Networking Help

Need Some Serious Networking Help
iMak
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 9, 2003, 02:28 AM

I'm trying to get my HP Pavilion desktop (with Win XP Home Edition SP 1) and my iBook (with OS X 10.2.8) to recognize each other to no avail. I am using a crossover cable to directly link the two. I have tried the "Home Networking Wizard" in XP and setup a workgroup called "WORKGROUP" but so far, nothing has happened. It keeps telling me I don't have sufficient access, even though I'm a computer admin account level!! I also have the C: drive marked for sharing - no firewall. On the mac side, I have Windows File Sharing on with my user account as being o.k. to log in. The defalt SMB workgroup on the mac, according to Apple, is WORKGROUP. I just can't get either one to see the other. I know the cable is good because I have been able o use it to connect my iBook with my iMac. I know my iBook is generally good with networks because I have used it on my network at work before. I just don't know what to do - any help would be appreciated!
Computer help @ forrealpeople.com
Web Hosting @ monsterflex.com

A little more .Mac and a lot less .Net and the world would be a better place.

danbrew
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 9, 2003, 11:59 PM

Originally posted by iMak:
I'm trying to get my HP Pavilion desktop (with Win XP Home Edition SP 1) and my iBook (with OS X 10.2.8) to recognize each other to no avail. I am using a crossover cable to directly link the two. I have tried the "Home Networking Wizard" in XP and setup a workgroup called "WORKGROUP" but so far, nothing has happened. It keeps telling me I don't have sufficient access, even though I'm a computer admin account level!! I also have the C: drive marked for sharing - no firewall. On the mac side, I have Windows File Sharing on with my user account as being o.k. to log in. The defalt SMB workgroup on the mac, according to Apple, is WORKGROUP. I just can't get either one to see the other. I know the cable is good because I have been able o use it to connect my iBook with my iMac. I know my iBook is generally good with networks because I have used it on my network at work before. I just don't know what to do - any help would be appreciated!
Ensure that your Apple user ID has permission to login from windows. You'll do this in the System Preferences/Accounts/Edit User and make sure the "Allow user to log in from Windows" box is checked. Determine the IP of the Macintosh (Systems Preferences/Network) and then, from the Windows machine, Select Start/Run and type "IP\macusername" - example "192.168.0.1\iMak". The "macusername" is the short name for your user account - you can determine this in the System Preferences/Accounts screen.

Ah... one small comment... you might want to think about changing your signature until you learn more about networking Macs & PCs...
A little more .Mac and a lot less .Net and the world would be a better place.

Forum Links
Forum Rules