Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > how "hot" is your pb?

how "hot" is your pb?
dog2van
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 17, 2005, 05:25 PM

my new 15" 1.67 521m PB gets so warm after 2 hours of web surfing and msn messaging. i'm wondering if this is applied to every pb.
is it possible that there are other programs runnung 'in the back' as i turn on the machine.
as i just give a touch at the bottom of my pb. it's burning...

any advise is much appreciated

bimmerphile
Mac Enthusiast
May 17, 2005, 08:00 PM

-Kris Olson | 12" PBG4 1.5GHz

LambMadras
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 17, 2005, 11:42 PM

what OS are you running?? I recently clean installed Tiger and my 1.25 15" PB is ALOT cooler than it was with panther or the archive/install of Tiger. The difference is quite marked.

dog2van  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 18, 2005, 01:02 AM

Originally Posted by bimmerphile

thx

dog2van  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 18, 2005, 01:11 AM

Originally Posted by LambMadras
what OS are you running?? I recently clean installed Tiger and my 1.25 15" PB is ALOT cooler than it was with panther or the archive/install of Tiger. The difference is quite marked.
running tiger.
umm...wut's the archive/install tiger? sorry...i'm new to mac (just got my 15 pb a week ago)
btw i did the clean install on my machine 2 days ago. and my pb seemed cooler after that. but things changed again after i installed the bundle software that came with the pb. now i can really cook with it...

i wonder why
is it because of the bundle software?

thanks

LambMadras
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 18, 2005, 07:06 AM

Archive/install keeps the previous OS data on your HD while installing a copy of your newer one. It's possible to retrieve certain info from the older one if there are problems. There have been lots of conflicting reports concerning the best option..horses for courses.

If the book was running cooler after your clean install and is now hotter after installing bundled software then they could be the culprit. You could try trashing the bundled apps, repair permissions, re-boot and see what happens.

dog2van  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 18, 2005, 07:54 AM

Originally Posted by LambMadras
Archive/install keeps the previous OS data on your HD while installing a copy of your newer one. It's possible to retrieve certain info from the older one if there are problems. There have been lots of conflicting reports concerning the best option..horses for courses.

If the book was running cooler after your clean install and is now hotter after installing bundled software then they could be the culprit. You could try trashing the bundled apps, repair permissions, re-boot and see what happens.

thanks

Forum Links
Forum Rules