Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Doom 3 demo available (no WoW content)

Doom 3 demo available (no WoW content)
hotani
Senior User
Sep 22, 2005, 04:08 PM

http://www.macgamefiles.com/detail.php?item=18823

downloading... gonna play when I get home. Haven't bitten the bullet and bought the game yet so now's my chance to see how it does on my box.
// hōtani
MDD G4 dual 867

The iMac Man
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 22, 2005, 05:18 PM

Wow, the first topic NOT about WoW in what seems like ages! Wow! Wow! Wow!
-iMac
(The PC to Mac CoD Mod Converter)

Get Mac Game Mods Here: Macologist.org

jeffB
Sep 22, 2005, 05:52 PM

if you played doom and doom2 as much as i did in my childhood, doom 3 is well worth getting. it reminded me of how good those games were, and how doom 3 is exactally the same with SLIGHTLY better graphics. and it's the scariest movie i've ever played.

hotani  (op)
Senior User
Sep 22, 2005, 06:14 PM

Yeah if the gameplay is halfway decent on my machine I'll definitely buy it. Just a big fan of mindless FPS games.
// hōtani
MDD G4 dual 867

budster101
Baninated
Location: Illinois might be cold and flat, but at least it's ugly.
Sep 22, 2005, 09:15 PM

Download is slow, and the Bitorent is not working. Any faster servers anywhere?

goMac
Posting Junkie
Sep 22, 2005, 10:42 PM

Will I be able to transfer over my lvl 48 NE Druid to the Doom 3 realms?
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

Helmling
Mac Elite
Sep 22, 2005, 11:19 PM

Wow! Do you think I could run it on my 800 Mhz with 32 Mb of video RAM?!?

esXXI
Senior User
Sep 23, 2005, 04:54 AM

Originally Posted by Helmling
Wow! Do you think I could run it on my 800 Mhz with 32 Mb of video RAM?!?
I ran it on my 1GHz with 32MB of VRAM and I got a whole 4fps with everything on lowest.

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 23, 2005, 10:29 AM

Nice leap from Doom I or II - dark and moody, and now with realistic graphics. The sound effects are cool too.

I get about 10fps with a 1.4ghz G4 & an overclocked Radeon Pro @ 640x480 medium quality- sort of playable - but when action happens it's like watching a slide show. I'd love to play this game on a system that gets 60+fps @1280x1024.

hotani  (op)
Senior User
Sep 23, 2005, 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by budster101
Download is slow, and the Bitorent is not working. Any faster servers anywhere?
Don't know. I'm doing the .torrent veeeeeeewwwwy swooooooowy.....
// hōtani
MDD G4 dual 867

Torquemada.m@c
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 23, 2005, 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by The iMac Man
Wow, the first topic NOT about WoW in what seems like ages! Wow! Wow! Wow!
If you don't like the game, that's ok for you. I just don't understand why you have to make such stupid comments. You're missing non-WoW topics in this forum? Well, do something against it and stop whining.

hotani  (op)
Senior User
Sep 23, 2005, 01:43 PM

the 'no WoW content' comment in my title, and iMac Man's comments (if I may), were just poking fun at how the Games forum has recently become the WoW forum (12 topics with 'WoW' in the title - 13 counting this one ). Absolutely nothing wrong with that, just a silly observation.
// hōtani
MDD G4 dual 867

The iMac Man
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 23, 2005, 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by Torquemada.m@c
If you don't like the game, that's ok for you. I just don't understand why you have to make such stupid comments. You're missing non-WoW topics in this forum? Well, do something against it and stop whining.

-iMac

zoroaster68
Baninated
Sep 23, 2005, 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by Torquemada.m@c
NYAR WHY DON"T YOU ATTACK ME WITH A MAGIC POTION FROM GALFRINDOR THE SAGE MAGICIAN AND FOLLOW UP WITH A SPELL LIKE ENCRUSTED MAGGOT INFECTION FROM THE BOOK OF THE UNDERWORLD THAT WOULD GIVE YOU +5 TO OGRES AND +12897319 TO THE ABILITY OF POSTING WOW TOPICS IN MACNN's GAME FORUM!
Nyar!!!!

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Sep 23, 2005, 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by zoroaster68
NYAR WHY DON"T YOU ATTACK ME WITH A MAGIC POTION FROM GALFRINDOR THE SAGE MAGICIAN AND FOLLOW UP WITH A SPELL LIKE ENCRUSTED MAGGOT INFECTION FROM THE BOOK OF THE UNDERWORLD THAT WOULD GIVE YOU +5 TO OGRES AND +12897319 TO THE ABILITY OF POSTING WOW TOPICS IN MACNN's GAME FORUM!
Nyar!!!!
You lose at life. Ask for them to refund your quarter.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

G Barnett
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 26, 2005, 11:20 AM

Well, downloaded it on Saturday and gave it a try. Runs mostly acceptably (disclaimer: I have a lower threshhold for "acceptable" than most people) at lowest settings, 800x600 on my G4 1.33ghz, 892mb, 128mb R9800 system. Only glitch is a stuck cursor smack dab in the center of the screen. Mildly annoying, but not too much so. Scared the hell outta me a couple times, too. Might be worth picking up.

G Barnett
Life is like a clay pigeon -- sooner or later, someone is going to shoot you down and even if they miss you'll still wind up shattered and broken in the end.

lenox
Senior User
Sep 26, 2005, 12:53 PM

hotani: I have a frighteningly similar setup to your g4....I had always assumed doom 3 would run like absolute crap as it doesn't take advantage of the second cpu. Please let me know if I am wrong!

The iMac Man
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 26, 2005, 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by G Barnett
Only glitch is a stuck cursor smack dab in the center of the screen.

That is not a bug in Doom 3, that is a known bug with many full screen games/apps. It is caused by having DivX installed.

Either remove the DivX plugin from your QuickTime PlugIns folder, or create a new User for gaming, and don't install DivX for that user.

I have contacted DivX about this bug and they seem to not care one single bit.....
-iMac

hotani  (op)
Senior User
Sep 27, 2005, 12:57 AM

Originally Posted by lenox
hotani: I have a frighteningly similar setup to your g4....I had always assumed doom 3 would run like absolute crap as it doesn't take advantage of the second cpu. Please let me know if I am wrong!
Yeah it was bad. Not playable - plus it didn't seem to like my sound card so I had no audio at all. Good times.
// hōtani
MDD G4 dual 867

DrBoar
Senior User
Sep 27, 2005, 07:31 AM

Sawtooth with 1.2 GHz G4 and ATI 8500 runns quite well in 640x480 but 800x600 staggers a bit. But the game as such is not impressive. If I want to get scared in dark corridors Aliens vs Predators is much better, but the graphical engine can be used to make real games in the future...

TheDeathman
Sep 27, 2005, 04:46 PM

I suggest putting together a cheap gaming PC for Doom 3, as it runs so much better on PC. On my G5 1600x1200 is horrible, even with everything on low but on my PC I play at 1600x1200 without a problem.

quote68
Forum Regular
Sep 28, 2005, 12:23 PM

I downloaded the demo. I have a dual 1.33 ghz G4 with 1.5 gigs ram and an overclocked 9600 XT. It ran fine in 640X480, but... I mean.. I got bored. It was pretty lame. So it's the future, and somehow they have the technology to live on mars but NOT to produce optically correct glass!?!?!?! Cool video effect..but... bleh. Seems like a pretty lame game. Also, you shoot someone enough times in the head and they gib? WTF.

I dunno. Neat technology, but it seems like a pretty stupid linear game that isn't very interesting.
dual G4 overclocked, blessed, and liquid cooled with jesus water. +5 to ogres and paladins! Nyar!

budster101
Baninated
Location: Illinois might be cold and flat, but at least it's ugly.
Sep 28, 2005, 01:31 PM

In moments like this, it seems apropos to reference back to the unerring wisdom of Jack Handey.

"When I was in the 3rd grade, a bully in school started beating me up every day. At first I didn't say anything, but then I told dad. He got a real scared look on his face and asked if the bully had a big dad. I said I didn't know. But he still seemed scared. And just a few days later we moved to a new town. Dad told me that if anyone picked on me, not to fight back. Unless I knew the kid didn't have a dad or the dad was real small. Otherwise just curl up in a ball."
( Last edited by blizzard; Sep 30, 2005 at 06:59 PM. )

quote68
Forum Regular
Sep 28, 2005, 06:01 PM

Why are you following me?
dual G4 overclocked, blessed, and liquid cooled with jesus water. +5 to ogres and paladins! Nyar!

Forum Links
Forum Rules