Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > The Forum has created a new kind of person: the forum know it all

The Forum has created a new kind of person: the forum know it all (Page 2)
Salty
Professional Poster
May 1, 2006, 01:18 AM

Originally Posted by besson3c
Maybe she's flirting with you?
Dang it I hate it when girls do that! Especially when they know I'm gay... actually I love it when they do that, I recently had a girl tell me I had great eyes. I told her it was a lame complement . Then I told her she had great legs.

subego
Clinically Insane
May 1, 2006, 01:55 AM

Did WD really get a 1000 of his posts deleted?

I tracked down his last few posts and the second to last was him demanding his 1000 posts back.

Prolly the only post I have ever read of his that wasn't just the sweetest.

Kevin
Baninated
May 1, 2006, 07:14 AM

I think the problem here is not simply about WDLove, but it's also about the things I addressed in an earlier thread I made:

- people who are pedantic/anal about pointing out the rules in the Lounge

- people who think that the Lounge is somehow a place where it is a sin for others to "waste their time" in with posts that lack content that the person in question can rubber stamp as being officially useful (e.g. not timeline-able, not a repeat of something discussed earlier, not uncool, etc.)

- people who at the same time are quite happy with the 2093842093th post of the week designed to ogle the latest hot supermodel/celebrity's body (I guess these sorts of posts somehow are substantive and/or cool)
- people who keep repeating this because they think the forum should be run the way they want because they have control issues.

Not that I don't agree with some of your points besson.

But you are just as bad as the people you are bashing.

They want it one way, you want it yours.

Railroader
Banned
May 1, 2006, 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by Kevin
- people who keep repeating this because they think the forum should be run the way they want because they have control issues.

Not that I don't agree with some of your points besson.

But you are just as bad as the people you are bashing.

They want it one way, you want it yours.
Yo'ure turning into besson with the amount of times you have been pointing this out to him.

Dakar
Professional Poster
May 1, 2006, 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by Railroader
Yo'ure turning into besson with the amount of times you have been pointing this out to him.
Maybe he'll believe since it didn't come from one of us.

Railroader
Banned
May 1, 2006, 01:08 PM

He's not as besson yet, that's for sure. Just a tiny intervention is need for Kevin here.

hart
Senior User
May 1, 2006, 01:45 PM

just piping up from the lurking gallery. I'm here every day but rarely post, as you can see from my post count. I just don't want the stress of being harassed and insulted by a bunch of people who feel anonymity absolves them of all need to be polite or to curb their hostility.

now, please feel free to mock me and correct my spelling. I wouldn't want to mess with tradition.

Railroader
Banned
May 1, 2006, 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by hart
just piping up from the lurking gallery. I'm here every day but rarely post, as you can see from my post count. I just don't want the stress of being harassed and insulted by a bunch of people who feel anonymity absolves them of all need to be polite or to curb their hostility.

now, please feel free to mock me and correct my spelling. I wouldn't want to mess with tradition.
Hey pot, have you met kettle yet?

Salty
Professional Poster
May 1, 2006, 02:35 PM

Ha, that made me laugh... cause it's true.

You know... the lounge is like a swirling black hole of psychological disorders.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
May 1, 2006, 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by hart
You just…like to read people doing it to others?
( Last edited by Chuckit; May 1, 2006 at 02:48 PM. )
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

residentEvil
Professional Poster
May 1, 2006, 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by Cody Dawg
I don't "hate" anyone. I do despise one forum member, whom I shall not RE-name, but that's it. Everyone else is just...anonymous.

Oh, and Jami Gertz is great, Doofy, if that's who is in your signature.
you despise me? i was unaware. do you have me on ignore too?

abe
Professional Poster
May 1, 2006, 03:34 PM

People posting in the wrong forum waste your time? Pulleezee...

A) This is the Lounge, a place designed for people to waste their time

B) If the subject is marked "help me with my Tiger problem", you could simply skip it

C) If the subject is ambiguous, you could simply skip it

D) There are non-useful posts even on threads that you might consider to be non-time wasters

E) If your time is so valuable, why are you on a forum anyway?

People posting in the wrong forum waste your time? Pulleezee...

A) This is the Lounge, a place designed for people to waste their time

B) If the subject is marked "help me with my Tiger problem", you could simply skip it

C) If the subject is ambiguous, you could simply skip it

D) There are non-useful posts even on threads that you might consider to be non-time wasters

E) If your time is so valuable, why are you on a forum anyway?

Bess, when you're right, you're RIGHT! And when you're wrong, you're Fuzzy!
America should know the political orientation of government officials who might be in a position to adversely influence the future of this country. http://tinyurl.com/4vucu5

abe
Professional Poster
May 1, 2006, 03:37 PM

I think the problem here is not simply about WDLove, but it's also about the things I addressed in an earlier thread I made:

- people who are pedantic/anal about pointing out the rules in the Lounge

- people who think that the Lounge is somehow a place where it is a sin for others to "waste their time" in with posts that lack content that the person in question can rubber stamp as being officially useful (e.g. not timeline-able, not a repeat of something discussed earlier, not uncool, etc.)

- people who at the same time are quite happy with the 2093842093th post of the week designed to ogle the latest hot supermodel/celebrity's body (I guess these sorts of posts somehow are substantive and/or cool)
America should know the political orientation of government officials who might be in a position to adversely influence the future of this country. http://tinyurl.com/4vucu5

Leopard Employee
May 1, 2006, 03:39 PM

Loads of stars and big post nubers up above but in the spirit of experimentation about stars to Asshat ratio i will toss my hat in the ring. (like the phrase asshat btw never heard it before)

My tuppence is this,

The internet forum in general brings the worst out in people, my justification for this is based on the film Hollow man. Might sound like a stange source but one of the straplines for the movie was somthing like "it's amazing what you can do if you don't have to look in the mirror"

The anonimity granted by the internet alows us to drop some of our morals and socal sensibilities becuase there is no come back if we are mean or nasty. Whats the worst that can happen i get kick out..... We all do it myseilf included, hell i am Scottish sarchasm and verbal bashing are instinctive survival technques I try to contain them but it aint always easy.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
May 1, 2006, 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by residentEvil
you despise me? i was unaware. do you have me on ignore too?
I think she meant Captain Obvious. Where'd he ever go to, anyway? Did he and WDLove, like, both offend each other off the forums?
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

wallinbl
Professional Poster
May 1, 2006, 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by Peteso
The internet forum in general brings the worst out in people, my justification for this is based on the film Hollow man. Might sound like a stange source but one of the straplines for the movie was somthing like "it's amazing what you can do if you don't have to look in the mirror"

The anonimity granted by the internet alows us to drop some of our morals and socal sensibilities becuase there is no come back if we are mean or nasty. Whats the worst that can happen i get kick out..... We all do it myseilf included, hell i am Scottish sarchasm and verbal bashing are instinctive survival technques I try to contain them but it aint always easy.
Yeah, I never cared for the movie. It was as if they were saying the only reason we don't do terrible things is because we'd be embarrassed of what others would think or that we'd be caught. I guess I'll just keep pretending that people are good at heart. It is disappointing that the Internet has shown us that anonymity and a lack of consequences means that most people desire to be jerks.

abe
Professional Poster
May 1, 2006, 04:20 PM

I enjoy being able to say what I think without the need for political correctness or social sensitivity. I enjoy being entertaining for those who find it entertaining. I enjoy irritating those who don't avail themselves of all the options available to them to ignore what bothers them.

I like pointing out things that only someone of my vintage and sensibility and concern does and would point out, as I feel many of you need to at least hear the metal tearing as you rush headlong into what for you might be a seductive unknown, but for me is, "been there, done that and you should know this before you go any further."

I like slapping the wrist of someone who is being mean. I love being mean to them. I love when someone comes to their rescue thinking I'm being too mean. I love being mean to them.

I love when people GET IT. Whatever the thousands of things they might GET are. Most of the time if I have no interest in a subject or topic I'll just leave it alone. Sometimes when I don't like the poster(s) in a thread, I'll pass on it.

I love playing. I think I usually use discretion in who i jump and how I jump. Although there are and have been times when I was blindly angered and went too far.

Recently, I've been slower to introduce the naughty abe to newbies.

Sometimes when my own behavior disappoints me I will temporarily self banninate.

There's usually no personal feeling behind my 'attacks.' Just fun, like in a mosh pit.

Sometimes people are surprised when I am cordial or decent to them in one thread when there had been running arguments between us in other threads. It should be a a sign to them that I don't take it personally.

I'm sorry WDLove left and hope he returns.

I think the people who stick around here are probably better informed, more mature, more conversant on any number of subjects, have a thicker skin, have better people skills than their non-MacNN peers all because of their experiences at MacNN.

It's like making the finest, strongest most supple steel. Before it reaches it's final form it is subjected to the hottest temperatures and pounded repeatedly and after that process it is valued over other forms of steel.

We are subjected to indignity seldom experienced in real life. And more situations by which we can vicariously experience almost every emotion or human experience.

If it takes a village to raise a child I say were are all, simultaneously and at varying times villager and child and village elder and disinterested onlooker.

The people who choose Apple are a special breed. The people who are members of MacNN instead of some other fora are a special breed. Those who visit the lounge even more elite and only the best spend time in the PL.

It's tough in here, but it's tougher in there.

The intellectual level isn't the highest, and it's not the nicest, comfiest place to be, but if you know what you are talking about and can think quickly and can detach your emotions from your thinking then you have proven yourself among the elite of the elite.

When I'm away from the P/L for more than a week it takes some time to get re-acclimated once I return.

Meanness for no good reason is always going to be a fact of life. But now that you've started this and everyone is on board with the idea, why not make an agreement to DO something and not just talk?

You idiot!

j/k

hart
Senior User
May 1, 2006, 04:45 PM

Hey pot, have you met kettle yet?

oh, genius. I LOL'ed until I couldn't laff no more. such wit such quickness with words.

why do I bother.

Railroader
Banned
May 1, 2006, 05:04 PM

Looks like you have.

hey!_Zeus
Banned
May 1, 2006, 05:21 PM

Looks like you have.
Oh no!!!! You really suck at this internet thing.

Railroader
Banned
May 1, 2006, 05:40 PM

Looks like we've found a topic the lurkers are passionate about. It's too bad they have nothing to really contribute other than rule violations.

Kevin
Baninated
May 1, 2006, 06:13 PM

He's not as besson yet, that's for sure. Just a tiny intervention is need for Kevin here.
I am hoping one day he will read it and take it in.

abe
Professional Poster
May 1, 2006, 06:38 PM

Looks like you have.
Cool SIG!!!

I just saw a poster in the recruiting office...

LIFE, LIBERTY AND THE PURSUIT OF THOSE WHO THREATEN IT!
If someone wants it, feel free to use it as your sig!

abe
Professional Poster
May 1, 2006, 06:41 PM

Railroader
Banned
May 1, 2006, 09:30 PM

You might want to try driving nails into steel with a watermelon. You'd be more successful.

Salty
Professional Poster
May 1, 2006, 10:19 PM

You might want to try driving nails into steel with a watermelon. You'd be more successful.
Trust me... watermelon as tools in a construction project... bad idea... the chair just didn't turn out right... oh... humour... I get it...

Forum Links
Forum Rules