Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Macbook startup issues - inconsistent behavior

Macbook startup issues - inconsistent behavior
sktanu
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 1, 2007, 03:57 AM

My 6 months old white macbook (2GHz, upgraded it to 2GB RAM) has been having problems waking up. Few weeks ago it started shutting down abruptly. Also when I put it to sleep by closing the lid it was not waking up. Again the behavior was not consistent. I thought may be the problem was with the OS/firmware. Upgraded the firmware. But that did not help.

But again a few days ago I left it plugged into the power outlet all night and early in the morning worked on it until the battery was down till 30% or so. No problems. It woke up from sleep fine and everything was fine and dandy. I came back in the evening and the battery was around 60% or so. Started working and it abruptly shut down. Now if I try to power it up it powers on and I get the first grey screen and immediatly it shuts down.

It is as if I have to have the battery at 100% whenever I start working on it. Sorry for the long narration. The whole thing is so fishy and I am unable to pinpoint the cause. My 5 year old powerbook G4 still works fine.

Is this a battery issue or is this due to the third party memory I have added 6 months ago?

If I need to get it checked at the apple service center do I need to pull out the third party memory or that will not be an issue?

uicandrew
Senior User
Feb 1, 2007, 04:21 AM

there is a program called "ramtest" that will test the ram. it is better than apple's hardware test.

i'm not familiar with battery issues, but it would be good to evaluate the ram first. good luck.

also, try putting the factory ram back in.
Mac User since Summer 2005 (started with G4 mini bought from macnn forums!)

walkerjs
Feb 1, 2007, 01:16 PM

I had a battery drain issue during sleep on my brand new Macbook that I called AppleCare about. The battery shouldn't go from 96% to 8% and not wake up from sleep without plugging in the power cord after only seven hours of sleeping. Nor should it be warm as if it was being used after seven hours of sleeping. So on the phone I went. They had me reset the SMC.

Shut it down, take out the battery, and press the power button for 10 seconds. Put the battery back in, and attach to power. Turn it on. See if this fixes or improves it. It did for my problem.

sktanu  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 12, 2007, 06:31 AM

Upgrading from 10.4.6 to 10.4.8 and then doing a firmware upgrade to 1.1 has fixed the issue. So far I have not seen any shutdowns or intermittent reboots. I am hoping it will stay that way. However I do observe that my fans are making quite a bit of noise. Also my battery is getting drained quickly.

oh well...it is way better than the past two weeks when it was crashing all the time and hindering my work.

Forum Links
Forum Rules