Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Yet Another "Grey Screen" Boot-Up Problem

Yet Another "Grey Screen" Boot-Up Problem
Coach
Forum Regular
Jan 26, 2007, 10:59 AM

I've searched the forums and nothing seems to help.

The problem started after tyring to install Windows XP w/ Bootcamp.

Hardware: iMac 24" Core Duo 2
Software: Running a fully updated Tiger.

Here's what I've tried without success:

Zapping PRAMn
Boot from OSX install discs.
Safe Mode.

Nothing works. Very unresponsive.

What I do have is a Powerbook G4 that I can connect via firewire, but I've been unable to get the iMac to boot up in firewire mode.

What was happening for awhile was that the computer was set in what I called "Windows" install mode. It would reset, but after the reset it would ask for a bootable CD. After puting the Windows CD in, it would attempt to reinstall Windows. I never got to the point where I would reset and Windows would boot-up for me to install the Mac Drivers disc.

Everything is backed up. So, I feel better.

Any help would be wonderful.

Thanks

kick52
Baninated
Jan 27, 2007, 08:23 PM

i dont get what you are saying is happening..
grey screen when you boot up..
ok.. when you try to boot windows?
when you try to boot OS X?
have you held down alt/option on startup to see if the bootloader comes up?

Coach  (op)
Forum Regular
Jan 28, 2007, 12:17 PM

It won't boot into either OSX or Windows. It just stops at the grey screen. When I hold down "option" a mouse cursor will show up, bu that's it, no icons to click on.

After calling Apple Care and talking to an Apple genius at the Apple store, both could not find a solution to my problem. My iMac is on its way somewhere to get fixed.

Thanks for your reply.

kick52
Baninated
Jan 28, 2007, 02:38 PM

try popping in the install cd, restart, wait for the chime, and hold down C. from there, try disk utility, and check your drive.

Coach  (op)
Forum Regular
Jan 28, 2007, 10:51 PM

Perhaps I wasn't clear. Even holding down C does not work.

Well, it's off to get fixed...

Thanks for your suggestion

jprice
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 2, 2007, 08:56 PM

try flashing your pram apple + option + p + r
do this 3 times held down the entire time. The computer will reboot automaticly

or you could hook it up to another mac, push and hold t durring startup of broken machine, use firewire. It will connect as a harddrive, fire up terminal
type mount findout what the device location is and then type bless {location of mounted drive}

bless writes master boot record

walkerjs
Feb 2, 2007, 09:12 PM

This may sound silly, but you don't happen to have an iPod connected to it do you? Occasionally my Macbook will not boot/go greyscreen (and the fans fire up) if my iPod is connected. Disconnect the iPod and it boots right up.

If not, well, nevermind then.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Feb 2, 2007, 09:22 PM

Walker has a good point. What he said happens a ton with newer iPods or Macs.

mac128k-1984
Mac Elite
Feb 2, 2007, 10:50 PM

I had a thumb drive in my macpro and I was getting a gray screen. I never made the connection even after I pulled it out.
Michael

Macfreak7
Mac Elite
Feb 7, 2007, 02:48 AM

A friend of mine had this issue.. we tried a bunch of things and finally starting up in safe mode helped fix it.
BTW, in safe mode the grey screen will show for longer than usual, and can take upto a few minutes while it checks the disk before starting up.

Detrius
Professional Poster
Feb 10, 2007, 08:05 PM

Occasionally? What do you mean *occasionally?* If I boot my Mac Pro with the iPod connected, it's *guaranteed* that it will gray screen--100% of the time.
ACSA 10.4/10.3, ACTC 10.3, ACHDS 10.3

walkerjs
Feb 10, 2007, 08:21 PM

By that I mean occasionally I have my iPod connected when I boot and it goes to grey screen. Since then I make sure the iPod isn't connected if I'm going to boot, so the occasions that an IPod is connected during a restart are now rare.

In fact, I make it a point to have *nothing* connected to my Macbook if I'm going to boot (external monitor, speakers, USB hub, etc.) or even wake from sleep when getting to the office or returning home.

Though, the first time I booted with an iPod connected was when I had just installed a proprietary VPN client which for some reason required a restart. When it went to grey screen I thought the VPN client install had screwed up my Macbook. I've since trashed that crap software (installing software means I have to reboot? What is this Windows? Screw that noise!) but that's where I made the 'connection' that an iPod will hose the boot cycle.

Forum Links
Forum Rules