Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Mighty Mouse

Mighty Mouse
ParabolStellavento
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 19, 2007, 02:30 PM

Probably a dumb question, but I was wondering if I get the mighty mouse if i could use it with a macbook. Just wanted to make sure before I spend the $70 extra on one

SLiMeX
Senior User
Feb 19, 2007, 02:53 PM

Yes.
BlacBook | 2.0ghz core duo | 2x320gb | 2gb ram | mba superdrive

walkerjs
Feb 19, 2007, 03:46 PM

Oh yeah. The bluetooth as well. I have the bluetooth keyboard and Mighty Mouse, and like it muchly. I have heard some stories about The Ball, and occasionally if it gets a little bit of something inside it'll quit scrolling in one direction or other, but a quick swipe of a lens wipe (you know, the type you use for cleaning glasses) fixes that up.

Sometimes right click isn't quite recognized, but isn't a big deal. About the only thing I don't care about is it's not quite accurate enough when playing UT 2004, but since I don't really take that sort of thing seriously it isn't really a big deal. I can always haul out my Wacom if I really want to frag. I've had it about three weeks, and using other mice feels funny now.

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 19, 2007, 10:57 PM

Originally Posted by walkerjs View Post
Sometimes right click isn't quite recognized, but isn't a big deal.
$70 is a lot of money to spend on a mouse, especially if you find out that it's not going to work for you. I would very strongly recommend taking a trip to your local Fry's or Apple Store and giving this thing a good test drive - I mean, hang out and use one of the display Macs for a good half hour.

See if the very nonstandard right-clicking mechanism is comfortable for you and your computing habits. You shouldn't have to follow a learning curve in order to use a computer peripheral as essential as a mouse. Make sure that your fingers are compatible in size and nimbleness (is that a word?) to use the scroll ball well. Apple's return policy is pretty crap, so don't drop that much money on something before you're sure that it's what you want.

Give other mice a chance, especially if you're going to do moderate to heavy computing with your MacBook. You might find that the bluetooth offerings from Logitech and Microsoft are more comfortable and ergonomic.

It's just something to consider before you rush out and buy one. People too frequently buy products that Apple designs and sells without really, really considering the alternatives. When I got my 2G shuffle, I seriously considered other sub-$100 flash-based mini music players, but I decided that the controls, size, and clip were worth the lack of display or additional features. If the Mighty Mouse fits you perfectly, then go for it. Otherwise, consider other options that might not look as sexy but might be more comfortable for day-to-day use.
Sell or send me your vintage Mac things if you don't want them.

TailsToo
Mac Elite
Feb 19, 2007, 11:11 PM

Logitech V270 - fairly cheap ($49 everyday, $29 on sale) and it works really well. it's my travel mouse that I use with my MacBook.

walkerjs
Feb 19, 2007, 11:15 PM

Good advice, but I re-iterate that I still like my Mighty Mouse, despite it's occasional single-buttonness.

I've gone though a lot of mice in my 20+ years of computer use. I'd biatch about it if there were something damningly wrong with the Apple Mighty Mouse. Worth $70? Not sure about that, but hey I had the means so WTF. It's the mouse I take with me with my Macbook.

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 19, 2007, 11:21 PM

Originally Posted by walkerjs View Post
Good advice, but I re-iterate that I still like my Mighty Mouse, despite it's occasional single-buttonness.

I've gone though a lot of mice in my 20+ years of computer use. I'd biatch about it if there were something damningly wrong with the Apple Mighty Mouse. Worth $70? Not sure about that, but hey I had the means so WTF. It's the mouse I take with me with my Macbook.
Oh, absolutely. I love my Logitech MX 700 cordless mouse, but others hate that model. It's all about personal preference, and it's important to make sure you've got a good mouse before you spend the money on one. A mouse that doesn't fit your hand, habits, and needs can make computing a miserable experience - cramped wrists, stiff fingers, and frustration. I knew I wanted the MX 700 after I had used one my friend had several times. I haven't regretted it. It's just a matter of personal choice.
Sell or send me your vintage Mac things if you don't want them.

brschetgen
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 20, 2007, 12:05 AM

$70 is a lot for a mouse... you have to know if it's worth it to you or not.

For me, it was totally worth the price. The size and shape just feels right in my hand. That's something that could be completely different for someone else, it's just personal preference. I like the 360° scroll ball feature. True, every once in awhile something gets caught in the physical mechanism and I have to scroll it vigorously upside down with a lint free cloth to get out the dirt. If I add isopropyl alcohol to the mix it really gets the scroll ball clean and the dirt that comes out on the cloth definitely makes me understand why the ball wasn't working. Maybe the most important feature for me is the custom Exposé functions that you can set up. I use it a lot for Application Switcher. Sometimes it requires a restart of the Bluetooth receiver to work some bugs out, but it doesn't bother me.
White MacBook/2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo/160 GB HDD/2 GB RAM
iPhone/4 GB
Black iPod Nano (1st Gen)/2 GB

Forum Links
Forum Rules