Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > BT mouse and keyboard

BT mouse and keyboard
adamj575
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 4, 2007, 08:43 PM

i have ordered an apple bt mouse and keyboard set and was wondering how easy they are to use ie. once i set them up once will they automatically work when my macbook is in range or do i have to turn them on and off each time i use them. it doesnt really matter because ive already ordered them i was just wondering thanks.

Rosieo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 4, 2007, 09:42 PM

I have both and think they are great. I haven't had any problems with them. I have had mine since last October and only had to change the batteries once for the mouse and never yet for the keyboard. I leave them on all the time, I don't think I have once turned them off.

Frugle
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 5, 2007, 12:16 AM

I leave mine on also... They go to sleep when not in use, and when you want to use them, open your laptop, make sure bluetooth is on, then double click with the mouse and hit the space bar twice and it will connect right away... when done, just close the lid.
15" MacBook Pro | 2.16GHz | 2GB DDR2 | 100GB 5400 rpm | 256MB X1600

Kenneth
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 5, 2007, 01:45 AM

In general, I turned off my BT Mighty Mouse when I'm off to bed or work.

TailsToo
Mac Elite
Apr 14, 2007, 07:59 PM

I leave mine on all of the time - got the mouse at Thanksgiving and just had to change the batteries yesterday - I use them with my MacBook Pro. I do seem to have the change the Keyboard batteries about every three months.

Markarian421
Apr 15, 2007, 04:54 PM

I have a BT keyboard and Mighty Mouse for our "entertainment center" Mini. The only time I have to power cycle the keyboard is when I boot up in Windows, and occasionally while in Windows, for some reason Windows seems to lose track of the keyboard (but not the mouse). In OS X I never have a problem with them. They are always left on, and even though my cat occasionally sleeps on the keyboard (ok, I have to power cycle it after that too, OS X seems to know to start ignoring it when a cat is sleeping on it) I still haven't replaced the batteries after several months. But they get a pretty low level of use (other than the cat).
Known to cause insanity in laboratory mice

walkerjs
Apr 15, 2007, 05:10 PM

I got a Mighty Mouse and Apple wireless bluetooth keyboard at the beginning of Feb, and only replaced the batteries that originally came with the mouse a couple of days ago. I use it quite a lot, including taking it with the Macbook to work (keyboard stays home mostly). I only turn it off when transporting to/from the office. I've only turned off the keyboard when I'm not going to be home for a couple of days, and so far the batteries in that are going strong.

The way the Mac informs you that a bluetooth device has a low battery is kind of freaky, BTW. All of a sudden this flashing icon appears on the bluetooth icon in the menu bar. It took me a bit to realize that that was a flashing battery indicator prompting me to check into, and replace the batteries in the mouse.

all2ofme
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 18, 2007, 03:40 PM

Yeah, that flashing really bothers me - I'd rather it stopped after a while.

I want to use the batteries until they're dead, not until the bloody flashing drives me mad

Forum Links
Forum Rules