Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > New Macbook Pro looking for a stand!

New Macbook Pro looking for a stand!
xcharlesy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 9, 2007, 01:49 PM

I just purcahsed a 2.2 8600mGT 128mb 120gb 2gb ram and im looking to do a bit of gaming, i already have boot camp and will be playing WoW in windows as well as Counter Strike Source and some BF 2142...

im looking for a stand, and im not **** if I really have means to buy a keyboard to use...

anyways here are the 2 i am looking at:

Griffin Technology: Elevator - Desktop Stand for Personal Computers

should I get an elevator?

Newegg.com - Antec Black Notebook Cooler w/ Two Ball-bearing Fans Model NOTEBOOKCOOLER - Retail

or a notebook cooler that uses fans?

keep in mind that i mostly wont be gaming for over 4-5 hours at one time.. but who knows.. i want to be careful and make a good decision..

keep in mind i have the apple care protection plan.. i dont know if that will really help.. but i plan on gaming quite a bit.

but do I even need one?

thanks!

ghporter
Administrator
Jun 9, 2007, 09:31 PM

The Targus X-Stand is what I use. It's ergonomic, extremely light, provides for QUIET passive cooling (which does work, by the way), and it's styling goes great with my MBP. 'Nuff said?

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Jun 9, 2007, 10:34 PM

the targus (a less-expensive ripoff of the infamous x-stand), just raises the mbp;
something like the antec will draw some heat away from the laptop (your mileage may vary).

i have 2 stands, an x-stand for travel, a fan stand for my home office; the fan thing, for me, is better overall...
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.
And that is what you all are: inverted Nothings...with potential" (Sun Ra)

cold aspiration
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 10, 2007, 02:43 AM

I use the griffin icurve with my mbp 17". Works great, seems just like the elevator but made of plastic =)

Bruck
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 10, 2007, 11:01 AM

I have not used any other stands, but I bought an elevator at the apple store yesterday, And while it is certainly simple in design, I am ver impressed. It definately cleaned up my desk.

I can't speak for typing on it, as I also purchased a cinema display, mouse and keyboard this week.
| MBA Student | MacAddict | CarAddict | PhotoNut | Dork | PhishHead |

JoshuaZ
Professional Poster
Jun 10, 2007, 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
The Targus X-Stand is what I use. It's ergonomic, extremely light, provides for QUIET passive cooling (which does work, by the way), and it's styling goes great with my MBP. 'Nuff said?
I always thought the X-Stand looked and functioned rather nice, but never thought it came into production! The Targus one seems perfectly made for Macbook Pros. I really should order one right now... for the MBP I'm getting in August....

Ha... I gave in and ordered it right away... its so nice...
( Last edited by JoshuaZ; Jun 10, 2007 at 12:43 PM. )

ghporter
Administrator
Jun 10, 2007, 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by JoshuaZ View Post
I always thought the X-Stand looked and functioned rather nice, but never thought it came into production! The Targus one seems perfectly made for Macbook Pros. I really should order one right now... for the MBP I'm getting in August....

Ha... I gave in and ordered it right away... its so nice...
And with a list price of $30, it's nice to the wallet, too! I got one for myself, my wife's iBook, and my son's Dell laptop. Trust me, if my son can't screw it up, it's rugged! Enjoy!

timmerk
Mac Elite
Jun 10, 2007, 09:50 PM

The iCurve was great - the Elevator sucks. I've owned both. But I'm REALLY liking the mStand.

JoshuaZ
Professional Poster
Jun 11, 2007, 12:49 AM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
And with a list price of $30, it's nice to the wallet, too! I got one for myself, my wife's iBook, and my son's Dell laptop. Trust me, if my son can't screw it up, it's rugged! Enjoy!
I'm glad someone posted a thread about it. I've been ordering stuff for my new Macbook Pro and having it shipped to my parents place in Wisconsin, so that it can all be shipped over to Japan. Perfect timing on this thread. I was lusting after the original X-Stand several years ago, this one gives me those same feelings.

ghettochild
Jun 12, 2007, 07:39 AM

I use The iRac. Does the job just fine and you can't beat the price.
17" PB G4 1.67GHz DL

ghporter
Administrator
Jun 12, 2007, 07:41 AM

The iRac IS cool! The only comment I'd have about it is that it doesn't seem well suited to slipping into my backpack and going with me to class. Maybe that's not its job, and it does look like it works great on a desktop. Cool find!

dan1013
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 19, 2007, 09:38 PM

How about this one.

http://www.balmuda.net/

I just bought X-Base and I'm love it.
when I buy cinema display I like to buy Floater too.
The design is best mach with Apple products.

go.mouse
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 20, 2007, 02:36 AM

I use iLap for my one week old 17" MBP.

iLap Laptop Stand - intro

ginoledesma
Mac Elite
Jun 21, 2007, 03:07 PM

Not sure what OP intends to use the stand for, as the iLap tends to best be used in desktop/stationary environments whereas fans can be used on the go.

For what it's worth, I have both the Griffin Elevator (iCurve replacement, which I prefer) and an Antec Notebook Cooler, which I use at work (also got it cheap during CompUSA sales). The Elevator helps to raise my MacBook to the same height as my 22" LCD monitor. Note that a stack of 3 ream bond papers work just as well.

What I like about the Elevator is that I can use a separate keyboard with it with the laptop raised, under the laptop itself. This helps in tight desk environments. However, it's not very convenient to bring around with you, so that's where the cooler comes in.

You might find Macworld's article on laptop stands helpful. It's a bit dated, but most of the products reviewed are still in the market. I was eyeing the Dexia Rack before, but it's just way too pricey for me (and now discontinued, it's replacement still to come).

hamertime
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 21, 2007, 05:31 PM

I use The iRac. Does the job just fine and you can't beat the price.
Hmm? The iRack, you say?

Randman
Posting Junkie
Jun 22, 2007, 01:26 AM

XT-Stand for when on the road, iCurve (or whatever it's called now) for home.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

pete
Mac Elite
Jun 22, 2007, 10:03 AM

What about rain design's adjustable ilevel? It looks very cool to me and gives you quite a bit of flexibility too. Anybody used it?

vicious7
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 21, 2007, 11:11 PM

Originally Posted by hamertime View Post
Hmm? The iRack, you say?

...you almost made me spit coffee on my MBP, lmao.

sweatervest
Forum Regular
Jul 24, 2007, 01:13 AM

Got the mstand to go with my new mbp for my birthday... it seriously rocks. I'm very impressed. Way better than the iCurve I used to have...

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jul 24, 2007, 02:47 AM

What about vertical stands? I'd like to be able to have my MBP (which I'm using mainly in closed-lid mode) standing on its vents so it takes up less desk space. Are there any such stands? I'd prefer buying one than building one myself...

Chazzer3
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 24, 2007, 05:56 AM

Originally Posted by timmerk View Post
The iCurve was great - the Elevator sucks. I've owned both. But I'm REALLY liking the mStand.
The mStand looks absolutely awesome I must say. I was just browsing their site, one weird thing though, what is up with this:

http://www.raindesigninc.com/pic_hig...o_keyboard.jpg

It has an iSight, but it says, 'PowerBook G4'. It's obviously 'shopped, but why bother?

Charlie -

vicious7
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 25, 2007, 05:10 PM

I think the Griffin Elevator is great. It is more sturdy than people think, plus I have complete and unobstructed access to the IR and the Superdrive. The angle and height improves ergonomics and posture and frees up a great deal of space for me, especially when the ACD arrives. The design also promotes air movement under and around my MBP with average temps dropping by 5-7 degrees. This is especially useful when I'm using fan inducing software like Final Cut Pro and Photoshop.

I recommend the Elevator highly.

firefly
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 27, 2007, 09:09 AM

One thing about the Elevator. You'll want to make sure you have a rigid desk to put it on, because otherwise the aluminium arms tend to wobble as you're typing, which gets annoying. Apparently the iCurve was superior in this regard?

jamesa
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 29, 2007, 08:01 AM

Originally Posted by Chazzer3 View Post
The mStand looks absolutely awesome I must say. I was just browsing their site, one weird thing though, what is up with this:

http://www.raindesigninc.com/pic_hig...o_keyboard.jpg

It has an iSight, but it says, 'PowerBook G4'. It's obviously 'shopped, but why bother?

Charlie -
i got this stand after reading this thread. it really, really rocks

-- james

Forum Links
Forum Rules