Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Making the Switch... A Few Concerns

Making the Switch... A Few Concerns
Jason S.
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 20, 2007, 05:20 PM

I've wanted a Mac for a while now. I'm 16, and through some saving and web design work, I've managed to finally enough money for one.

I have a 15" HP notebook now that is getting a little out-dated. I originally wanted an iMac desktop, but after further thought (and my parents agree with this) I would rather have a notebook. MacBook Pros are out of the question -- I don't want to pay all the extra money when I can get very similar specs with the black MacBook, which is the model I'm looking to get.

My question to you all is: how is Apple with their refurbished Macs? I'm not so worried as much as my parents are, but being 16 saving a good $200/$300 would be really nice. Apple's online store reads "good as new," but are they really? If anybody has had experience with a refurb Mac, I'd like to hear your story -- good or bad.

I'll probably upgrade to 2GB RAM later. I found a pair of 1GB sticks on NewEgg by Mushkin for $90, which seems like a great deal to me. I haven't really heard of this brand so much with PCs, but from my reading they're apparently a name-brand in the Mac community.

I haven't used the Mac OS much -- just once in my band directors office to check my web mail in Safari, and played with the dock and a few apps in a local Apple Store. The Mac is definitely the right thing for me, and I'm extremely anxious to move to it from Windows. (I'll probably run Vista with Boot Camp, if only until the Universal Binary of MS Office is released)

Thanks for taking the time to read... and hopefully give me a few tips and help me with my refurb decision.

techound1
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 20, 2007, 05:29 PM

Apple's refurbs are a dream. I have my third laptop right now. I highly recommend them as a great way to save money.

Jason S.  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 20, 2007, 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by techound1 View Post
Apple's refurbs are a dream. I have my third laptop right now. I highly recommend them as a great way to save money.
That's very good to hear! Thank you.

How long have you had them? No problems I'll assume?

Faust
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 20, 2007, 06:23 PM

Getting a refurb is quite a good decision to make. I bought a refurb not that long ago (Macbook white) and it is excellent. What I like even more is that the refurbs are tested by Apple, so you can be quite certain that they work as intended. That is not always (if you are unlucky) the case for non refurbs.

walkerjs
Jul 20, 2007, 08:14 PM

I haven't done the refurb thing for Macbooks, but based on my refurb experience with iPods I'd say you have nothing to worry about. Both of my 5G Video iPods (white for me, black for my wife) are refurbs and they are just like new.

Well, one of them is pretty well used now but no problems at all with refurbs. Our Macbooks were purchased new, but I'd have no problems recommending refurb Macbooks for my cash strapped parents who are candidates for new computers that will probably be Apple in some form.

roller
Forum Regular
Jul 20, 2007, 08:39 PM

Having purchased around 30 macs over the last eight years, some refurbs and others not, let me confirm the general mood of this thread and say that refurbs are the way to go. Why spend more?

Be prepared for a little bit of a learning curve. There are lots of good sites for switchers. I have one in my sig and there are many others. Do your homework before your purchase and your switch will go more smoothly.
My Macs: 15" Macbook Pro, Mac Pro,
Lab of ~ 25 various models purchased over the last eight years

My Sites: AppleBytes: Apple-inspired Tees and more, iSwitched: Guide for Switchers,
Yearbook QR Codes, Yearbook Unlimited

Jason S.  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 20, 2007, 09:10 PM

Thank you everyone for posting! I was already a little confident in buying a refurb -- I have much faith in Apple, I love my iPod -- and your posts have made me super confident.

I was also considering AppleCare, but I'm not sure at the moment. Is it possible to purchase *after* I have used the MacBook for a while? If something does go wrong in the first year I'd like to be able to have more piece of mind the following years.

Again, thank you all for your help!

roller
Forum Regular
Jul 20, 2007, 09:50 PM

You have until the end of the original one year warranty to purchase AppleCare. I ALWAYS get AppleCare for my laptops. Keep in mind that unlike desktops, laptops don't just sit on a desk for their lifespan. They are subject to more jarring and general day-to-day abuse than desktops ever face. It is a wise investment.
My Macs: 15" Macbook Pro, Mac Pro,
Lab of ~ 25 various models purchased over the last eight years

My Sites: AppleBytes: Apple-inspired Tees and more, iSwitched: Guide for Switchers,
Yearbook QR Codes, Yearbook Unlimited

Suikolove
Jul 20, 2007, 09:58 PM

Seems like Apple, unlike other computer companies, place an emphasis on value and customer service.

Jason S.  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 21, 2007, 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by roller View Post
You have until the end of the original one year warranty to purchase AppleCare. I ALWAYS get AppleCare for my laptops. Keep in mind that unlike desktops, laptops don't just sit on a desk for their lifespan. They are subject to more jarring and general day-to-day abuse than desktops ever face. It is a wise investment.
True, true. I'll look into that then.

Also, I've been reading more and came across many stories of squeaking hinges (mainly with the black model) and cracking cases. These seem to be problems with earlier models however. Have these been fixed with the new models?

I'm going to go to the Apple Store on Monday or Tuesday to check them out in person again. Hopefully I can purchase a refurb from the store, if they have the model I'm looking at buying.

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 21, 2007, 06:11 PM

Don't buy your MacBook at the Apple Store. Please. Apple's return policy is terrible if you change your mind. Buy from Fry's or CompUSA or anywhere that does not charge a 15% restocking fee for returning your laptop (Apple charges this even if you return it the same day). You should also look into the extended warranty options available at Fry's, etc. - AppleCare doesn't cover much and usually requires you to ship out your laptop for repairs (unless it so happens that the part can be fixed/replaced at the Apple store), which results in you being computer-less for at least several days.

Just my $.02. I am not a fan of Apple's warranties or return policies.
Sell or send me your vintage Mac things if you don't want them.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Jul 22, 2007, 09:06 AM

I've had *excellent* service buying from the Apple online store.

But then, I decide *before* I buy.

Cold Warrior
Jul 22, 2007, 01:09 PM

No kidding. I don't purchase something just to try it out and see if I like it. If it's a TV or computer, I make sure I thoroughly research it and get hands-on if I'm not familiar with similar products. Apple's policy encourages people not to waste its time or money, which in turn improves the bottom line and shareholder value.

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 22, 2007, 09:35 PM

Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
No kidding. I don't purchase something just to try it out and see if I like it. If it's a TV or computer, I make sure I thoroughly research it and get hands-on if I'm not familiar with similar products. Apple's policy encourages people not to waste its time or money, which in turn improves the bottom line and shareholder value.
See, when I'm spending that much money on something, I'm also going to make sure that I have a decent return policy to fall back on, just in case. You never know what can happen in life. The fact that Apple charges a 15% return policy on a $1200 machine just sucks.

When a third-party Dell-contracted tech came out to replace the motherboard in my brand new laptop, he destroyed the casing. I called Dell and told them I wanted a replacement or my money back. They sent me a new machine with a prepaid return shipping label for my damaged laptop within 48 hours. They have a 20-day "Total Satisfaction" policy that allows you to return a computer, no questions asked, for a full refund.

If anything, Apple offering such a policy would show that they stand by their products - that they know you won't want to return it, but if you do, they've got your back. It's like the five-year warranty on Seagate drives. That doesn't say that their drives are more likely to fail than Western Digital drives. It says that they stand behind their drives and are confident enough in the quality of their products to offer such a good warranty.
Sell or send me your vintage Mac things if you don't want them.

Cold Warrior
Jul 22, 2007, 09:54 PM

What you're describing is damage or defects. I've never had Apple charge a restocking fee for anything warranty- or repair-related. The restocking fee is for folks who purchase it, use it for a while, and then decide they'd rather return it.

Jason S.  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 22, 2007, 11:14 PM

I'm pretty confident in the model that I want. I've done an extreme amount of research, and the model I'm looking at (a white one on MacMall) is definitely what I want. I'm 99.9% sure that I won't need to return the 'book unless of course there's a technical problem, in which case the warranty will most likely cover it.

Thanks to everyone who helped in this thread. I read around some other forums about refurbs, and have heard an equal amount of good and band experiences with them unfortunately. I've decided to take the (semi)safer route and buy new. MacMall.com has a nice deal on a white MacBook with 2GB RAM and a 160 hard drive, which will be great for me.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Jul 23, 2007, 06:36 AM

note that the masses of people who've bought refurbished units and NOT had problems are highly unlikely to post about their lack of problems on online troubleshooting forums.

bighill
Forum Regular
Jul 23, 2007, 08:53 AM

I would be careful with macmall, if you should need to return it for WHATEVER reason they might give you a problem. I've heard horror stories. Be sure to research the place you are buying from as much as you are researching the computer.

BTW, I bought a refurb MacBook Pro about 2 months ago just when the new ones came out. I had a question and needed to call Apple,
the tech told me my machine was brand new not a refurb. It probably doesn't happen a lot, I just got lucky I guess.
my macs: quicksilver dual 800 g4, 1.24 gig ram, 500 gig hd, 20 + 17 inch displays
(first mac i've ever owned, bought brand new)
2.16 core 2 duo macbook pro, 2.0 gig ram, 120 gig hd

ballstriker
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 1, 2007, 12:58 PM

I bought a 20 inch imac refurb and an 80 gig white ipod with video refurb and they are indistinguishable from new.

stirrell
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 6, 2007, 10:52 AM

I have had a problem with a refurbished iMac before (one of the 15" CRTs) but, since the warranty is the same, Apple paid for the repairs. As the warranty is the same, I'd go for the refurbished model. But I agree that getting the extended AppleCare is the way to go. And you have the year to save up to purchase it.

There is always a chance you'll have a problem with a new model too. After all, those refurbished models come from somewhere :-). And I figure that with the refurbs, you've had an Apple technician looking over the product to make sure it is in working order.

Professional Poster
Aug 6, 2007, 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by Jason S. View Post
(I'll probably run Vista with Boot Camp, if only until the Universal Binary of MS Office is released)
Don't pay for Vista just to run Office!!!!! Office runs in Mac OS X just fine. It doesn't need to be a universal binary. you will save yourself $500 if you just buy Office for Mac now. Running it under Rosetta doesn't have much impact on Office, low-performance app as it is.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Aug 6, 2007, 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by adamfishercox View Post
low-performance app as it is.
*cough*

*splutter*

:: wipes coffee from screen ::

Office is the most stupidly useless resource hog I have had the displeasure of using in recent years - apart from Vista.

However, Word becomes MUCH faster if you TURN OFF active Grammar Check.

Professional Poster
Aug 6, 2007, 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by analogika View Post
Office is the most stupidly useless resource hog I have had the displeasure of using in recent years - apart from Vista.

Forum Links
Forum Rules