Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > iChat no audio?

iChat no audio?
Harvey
Forum Regular
Nov 27, 2007, 08:59 AM

I have already checked my preferences for sound and they are set correctly . When I use Ichat with Bonjour my iBook will not send sound to an older mac laptop or for that matter to a brand new iMac. Both are using Leopard. Any ideas?
Harv

ibook_steve
Nov 27, 2007, 02:42 PM

Does a microphone check work in Sound preferences? Is everything set up correctly in Audio MIDI setup (Utilities folder)?

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

walkerjs
Nov 27, 2007, 03:51 PM

My iChat routinely loses sound along with mail. Usually after waking from sleep when they are still running. This might not be the same problem you're having, but what I've found that works when iChat sound goes away (other sounds don't) is to quit iChat (and mail) launch activity monitor, then quit the process coreaudiod. You'll need to enter the admin password to quit that process. The OS then relaunches that process and iChat sounds are back.

Harvey  (op)
Forum Regular
Nov 28, 2007, 09:34 AM

Tried your solutions and now I think my mic is simple broken or could it be that installing Leopard has somehow disabled it? Any ideas on inexpensive usb mics. Thanks again for all your help.
Harv

Harvey  (op)
Forum Regular
Dec 1, 2007, 08:08 AM

It seems that when the iBook cover is completely opened (duh) the mic cable can become pinched and inhibit the mic from working. To test my theory I went to my sound page in sys specs and closed the cover half way. Lo and behold my mic started to work . . . nice to know but a real bummer with video ichat. Well at least I know.

Anyone know if a USB mic will circumvent this cable problem?http://forums.macnn.com/images/smilies/hmmm.gif
Harv

Forum Links
Forum Rules