Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > DVD Burning Workload

DVD Burning Workload
TribeLeader
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 22, 2010, 07:12 AM

I'm wondering about the workload capacity of the DVD drive on my MacBook Pro. I need to burn 18 DVDs (60-minute presentation created with iMove and iDVD), but before I start burning them on my MBP, what kind of workload should I shoot for?

Should I do a bunch/all one after the other or should I spread out the work (I have a couple weeks before deadline)? Basically, how many DVDs should I burn at a time/day?

Thanks!

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Dec 22, 2010, 12:04 PM

I've never burned enough to worry about it to be honest. I would think if you give it half an hour or so to cool off between discs it should be ok. Leave it on a hard flat surface while burning to get proper airflow through and around the case.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

amazing
Professional Poster
Dec 22, 2010, 02:17 PM

I've burned a lot of DVDs, both internally and externally. Never worried about overheating, never noticed any overheating.

Is your MBP under Applecare? If so, why me worry?

Still, because of how slow the internal drive is, I bought a 5.25" external enclosure and a much, much, much faster bare burner, and now I burn mostly over firewire. Just go to newegg.com and get a burner and an enclosure.

TribeLeader  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 22, 2010, 10:32 PM

Thanks for the replies.

Also, I've read some posts, but thought I'd ask again: What's the best way to burn DVDs in iDVD? "Save as Disc Image"? then copy in Disk Utility? (I don't have Toast, etc.).

Thanks again!

mduell
Posting Junkie
Dec 24, 2010, 04:47 PM

Yes, save as disk image then burn with Disk Utility to avoid doing the compression step every time.

I'd just burn them all one after another and get on with it. It'd be pretty farcical if a DVD burner couldn't burn disks.

Veltliner
Mac Elite
Dec 25, 2010, 05:37 AM

The OP seems to be worried that his notebook will get overheated through burning so many DVDs.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Dec 25, 2010, 02:16 PM

I think that's misguided, which is why I said "disks" not "a disk."

TribeLeader  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 26, 2010, 04:27 PM

Thanks again.

I've been burning them at home over the Christmas holiday as time allows (not really using the computers for too much else right now). Should knock them out today.

Forum Links
Forum Rules