Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > What app should I use to create a booklet?

What app should I use to create a booklet?
TribeLeader
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 27, 2015, 01:01 PM

I have a project that involves creating a ~40 page booklet. It's mostly text with some photos. I don't have a lot of experience with this, so I'm wondering, what software would you recommend?

The booklet will be on Letter-size paper, pages cut in half (i.e., 5.5" wide, 8.5" tall). I want to be able to design the pages in that format, then send to printer.

I'm looking at BeLight's Swift Publisher, but was hoping for a template that was more usable "out of the box." It may work, but I want to check here before jumping in. I also have Pages, but don't know that's an option.

Unfortunately, I don't have a lot of time for a steep learning curve (less than a week to complete). A lot of my material is together; I just need an app to put it together!

Other options?

TribeLeader  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 27, 2015, 04:41 PM

At the moment, I'm trying to use Pages, actually. I'm using a custom page (5.5 x 8.5) and will use something like the Create Booklet app for creating the ready-to-print file.

Hopefully, it works well, unless someone has a better idea!

Thanks!

Mike Wuerthele
Managing Editor
Mar 27, 2015, 05:59 PM

I did a quick Google search, and it seems that there are a bunch of booklet/brochure templates available.

Let us know how it goes!

iMOTOR
Mac Elite
Mar 28, 2015, 12:24 AM

If you are sending this to a commercial printer, then ask them. You will need to take into consideration: gutter, bleed, color separation, etc. Some printers will want you to prepare files with special formatting like registration marks, some will not.

If you're just taking this to Staples print center or FedEx office, Pages is fine.

TribeLeader  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 28, 2015, 10:03 AM

Thanks for the tips!

By the way, my Google searches haven't been super productive, so far, at least for specific booklet templates. But, I'll keep looking! :-)

ibook_steve
Mar 30, 2015, 07:11 PM

If it was 20-30 years ago, I'd say PageMaker!

It's surprising there isn't anything like it anymore.

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

Forum Links
Forum Rules