Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > There is a God and sometimes she does nice things for me

There is a God and sometimes she does nice things for me
ThisGuy
Mac Elite
Jan 24, 2005, 05:53 PM

About 2 weeks ago my G5 was in for repair and my PowerBook's HD crashed bigtime. The thing would struggle to spin up and would finally shut itself down. I threw it in an external enclosure and I still couldn't get it to mount. All of the holiday pictures I'd taken of my son's 1st Xmas were on there (as well as many more family and friend pics) and the last backup I had was done right before the holidays. Normally the pictures would be on the G5 and none of this would've been that big of a deal. I contemplated using DriveSavers and actually was getting the $$$ together to have them retrieve everything. For some reason I fired up the PowerBook today and put it in target mode and the summabitch mounted! I quickly pulled over the pictures and cloned the bastard. Woooo!!

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Jan 24, 2005, 06:06 PM

Yes there is a God
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jan 24, 2005, 06:07 PM

Originally posted by voodoo:
Yes there is a God
And He is neither He nor She

-t

f1000
Professional Poster
Jan 24, 2005, 06:11 PM

Quick, give me the winning lottery numbers!

I'll split the winnings evenly with you, 30/70.

nredman
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 24, 2005, 06:26 PM

good deal happy for ya

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniel's."

Mafia
Mac Elite
Jan 24, 2005, 07:59 PM

Originally posted by f1000:
Quick, give me the winning lottery numbers!

I'll split the winnings evenly with you, 30/70.
3, 1, 33, 73
http://www.mafia-designs.com

stevesnj
Mac Elite
Jan 24, 2005, 08:10 PM

God has to be a guy 'cause you gotta have balls to let someone design a craptastic OS like Windows
MacBook Pro 15" i7 ~ Snow Leopard ~ iPhone 4 - 16Gb

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Jan 25, 2005, 03:12 AM

Originally posted by stevesnj:
God has to be a guy 'cause you gotta have balls to let someone design a craptastic OS like Windows
No, God's a woman cuz she's PMSing in the Old Testament.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

TubaMuffins
Senior User
Jan 25, 2005, 03:40 AM

a few months ago my ibook hd died and i lost all of my pics from my family vacation to Maui. almost everything else was backed up on either .mac or my ipod. I was pissed when wataru gave me his beta of ipodbackup to try out a few weeks later cause i really could've used it a few weeks earlier. oh well, it gave me a reason to go back to Maui i suppose.

badidea
Professional Poster
Jan 25, 2005, 04:31 AM

Originally posted by turtle777:
And He is neither He nor She

-t
And She is neither He nor She!!!

ThisGuy  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 25, 2005, 09:44 AM

Originally posted by TubaMuffins:
a few months ago my ibook hd died and i lost all of my pics from my family vacation to Maui. almost everything else was backed up on either .mac or my ipod. I was pissed when wataru gave me his beta of ipodbackup to try out a few weeks later cause i really could've used it a few weeks earlier. oh well, it gave me a reason to go back to Maui i suppose.
I even tried putting it in the freezer overnight. I guess these toshiba drives that are in Apple's portables are pretty durable.

rambo47
Mac Elite
Jan 25, 2005, 05:49 PM

God is a man, and his name is Harold. It's right there in The Lord's Prayer: "Our father who art in heaven, Harold be thy name....:

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jan 25, 2005, 06:04 PM

Originally posted by rambo47:
God is a man, and his name is Harold. It's right there in The Lord's Prayer: "Our father who art in heaven, Harold be thy name....:

-t

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Jan 25, 2005, 06:11 PM

Originally posted by rambo47:
Further proof. That old Christmas carol, "Hark While Harold's Angels Sing".
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

Superchicken
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 25, 2005, 06:31 PM

Calling God male or female is an anthropomorphism, that said, in relation to the church God takes on the masculine role, thus when he deals with us it is, as our Father, brother, etc. In regards to Christ, the church is His bride. This whole She God thing is one of the more irritating things I've heard, there are groups like Wicca who believe in a goddess, that's one thing, that's their belief. However every half cocked individual who wants to be an ass makes ignorant comments like this without having studied jack and having given it any real thought. I think it should be a legal mandate that anyone who feels a need to discuss the nature of God take theology courses in all three major Monotheistic religions (Judaism, Christianity, and Islam) since they're not talking about a god, but the God.

TheBadgerHunter
Mac Elite
Jan 25, 2005, 06:42 PM

Originally posted by Superchicken:
Calling God male or female is an anthropomorphism, that said, in relation to the church God takes on the masculine role, thus when he deals with us it is, as our Father, brother, etc. In regards to Christ, the church is His bride. This whole She God thing is one of the more irritating things I've heard, there are groups like Wicca who believe in a goddess, that's one thing, that's their belief. However every half cocked individual who wants to be an ass makes ignorant comments like this without having studied jack and having given it any real thought. I think it should be a legal mandate that anyone who feels a need to discuss the nature of God take theology courses in all three major Monotheistic religions (Judaism, Christianity, and Islam) since they're not talking about a god, but the God.
Does it really matter if someone makes moronic comments on the sex (or lack thereof) of God, god, or gods? The Bible never says the sex of God. Frankly I'd wonder at the need to have sex anyway but I don't want to question God's personal life.

Out of curiosity, is it known why God in the bible is always "he"? I would think its either for the male dominated culture or a result of the male dominated culture..

ThisGuy  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 26, 2005, 12:31 AM

you people are all ****ing crazy.

macaddict0001
Mac Elite
Jan 26, 2005, 12:46 AM

Originally posted by ThisGuy:
Good Krazy or bad Krazy.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Jan 26, 2005, 02:42 AM

Crazy like a fox!
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

Disgruntled Head of C-3PO
Professional Poster
Jan 26, 2005, 02:59 AM

Calling God male or female is an anthropomorphism, that said, in relation to the church God takes on the masculine role, thus when he deals with us it is, as our Father, brother, etc.
I think he said "she" because God was a gay black man.
"Curse my metal body, I wasn't fast enough!"

IceEnclosure
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 26, 2005, 04:28 AM

Originally posted by Disgruntled Head of C-3PO:
I think he said "she" because God was a gay black man.
::snappin' fingers all crazy like::

-YOU GO GODDD!!!-

[swings hips, walks away...]
ice

Luca Rescigno
Professional Poster
Jan 26, 2005, 04:40 AM

(snip)
You fail at life.

"That's Mama Luigi to you, Mario!" *wheeze*

roam
Jan 26, 2005, 10:51 AM

Originally posted by olePigeon:
Crazy like a fox!
I loved that show.

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 26, 2005, 11:07 AM

About 2 weeks ago my G5 was in for repair and my PowerBook's HD crashed bigtime. The thing would struggle to spin up and would finally shut itself down. I threw it in an external enclosure and I still couldn't get it to mount. All of the holiday pictures I'd taken of my son's 1st Xmas were on there (as well as many more family and friend pics) and the last backup I had was done right before the holidays. Normally the pictures would be on the G5 and none of this would've been that big of a deal. I contemplated using DriveSavers and actually was getting the $$$ together to have them retrieve everything. For some reason I fired up the PowerBook today and put it in target mode and the summabitch mounted! I quickly pulled over the pictures and cloned the bastard. Woooo!!
God created man from the dust, and some of these men created a truly fantastic program called DiskWarrior.

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

ThisGuy  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 26, 2005, 11:16 AM

Originally posted by chris v:
God created man from the dust, and some of these men created a truly fantastic program called DiskWarrior.
DiskWarrior, Disk Utility, Data Rescue x, etc. wouldn't even see it. The problems were hardware related.
(DiskWarrior is tits in a window)

Cipher13
Jan 26, 2005, 11:23 AM

Originally posted by TheBadgerHunter:
Does it really matter if someone makes moronic comments on the sex (or lack thereof) of God, god, or gods? The Bible never says the sex of God. Frankly I'd wonder at the need to have sex anyway but I don't want to question God's personal life.

Out of curiosity, is it known why God in the bible is always "he"? I would think its either for the male dominated culture or a result of the male dominated culture..
I don't believe the word "he", classically, refers to a male without question. I'm under the impression that once upon a time "he" could legitimately refer to a sexually indeterminate third party, without incurring the wrath of fembot nazi's everywhere.

Linguists or whatever, back me up or shoot me down. I'm not sure.

Superchicken
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 26, 2005, 03:34 PM

There are theological reasons why God is characterized as male, not to suggest God pees standing up, and has a Y chromosome. If you notice Jesus always refers to God the Father as God the Holy Spirit, Jesus also refers to the Holy Spirit as a He (though if you would like I will ask one of the profs who knows Hebrew here at school if those references are gender specific). If God had been gender neutral then at least one person of the Trinity would have likely been characterized as female. Actually in calling God male we make God in our own image, which is incorrect to do. Instead we should realize that we are made in His image. Specifically Adam was made first, and Eve was made as a partner because Adam on HIs own was not complete.

ThisGuy  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 26, 2005, 04:33 PM

There are theological reasons why God is characterized as male, not to suggest God pees standing up, and has a Y chromosome. If you notice Jesus always refers to God the Father as God the Holy Spirit, Jesus also refers to the Holy Spirit as a He (though if you would like I will ask one of the profs who knows Hebrew here at school if those references are gender specific). If God had been gender neutral then at least one person of the Trinity would have likely been characterized as female. Actually in calling God male we make God in our own image, which is incorrect to do. Instead we should realize that we are made in His image. Specifically Adam was made first, and Eve was made as a partner because Adam on HIs own was not complete.
Shut up.

Superchicken
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 26, 2005, 05:44 PM

Shut up.
You first.

ThisGuy  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 26, 2005, 05:59 PM

somebody please lock this thread.

Astro-Creep
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 26, 2005, 06:17 PM

I have to side with superchicken. If there is a god, it is asexual. What need to you have of genetalia if you're all powerful? And it would seem to me that describing something that is asexual as a "he" would be right, considering that most of the languages English is based on use the masculine word as a default.

Congrats on the computer crash, by the way.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Jan 26, 2005, 06:23 PM

In most of the orthodox churches, the Holy Spirit is considered feminine. I could give a nice detailed explaination as to why this is, but this isn't the place to do it. FWIW, IMO, they have a very good agrument and I agree with them.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Jan 26, 2005, 06:25 PM

somebody please lock this thread.
Just go away. Damn...
- Thomas Paine

ThisGuy  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 26, 2005, 06:34 PM

Originally posted by MacNStein:
Just go away. Damn...
perform oral sex on me. damn...

Superchicken
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 26, 2005, 08:51 PM

I don't understand why you complain, you make a post making statements about a the God of the Christians and Jews most obviously since most other religions do not make a point to capitalize the word god in relation to their god, and then you complain when people point out your ignorance? It's offensive that you make such thoughtless comments about something that is very important to a whole lot of people in this world.

ThinkInsane
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 26, 2005, 09:02 PM

It truly baffles me how some of you people function in the real world, I swear to (insert what ever won't offend anyone's delicate sensibilities).
Nemo me impune lacesset

Forum Links
Forum Rules