Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Best ADSL ethernet router for Back To My Mac?

Best ADSL ethernet router for Back To My Mac?
Jonesy
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 20, 2008, 12:02 PM

I cannot get my home router working with Back To My Mac. I have an old Belkin router and a new Airport Extreme. Apple's support page (http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1304) listing compatible routers has devices with wireless (which I don't need) or DSL rather than ADSL, which I assume will not work in the UK. I checked the list for devices without wireless and I did not find any which were able to connect to ADSL or were available in the UK.

Have any UK users had any success connecting to Back To My Mac? If so I would love to know which devices worked for them.

Thanks for your help.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Aug 20, 2008, 06:51 PM

DSL is a superset of ADSL, IDSL, SDSL, etc.

Unless you're really tight on space/power I'd go with separate devices for the ADSL modem (get one with ethernet, not USB) and wifi router (you already own the Airport Extreme).

Jonesy  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 21, 2008, 08:39 AM

Thanks for your help, but what I really need is makes and model numbers of known devices which support BTMM over ADSL in the UK. Although my old device says it supports UPnP and NAT there is something wrong with it which means it is inaccessible from my home setup. What I want to put together is exactly what you described, an ethernet ADSL modem connected to my AEBS, I just want to know of one that others have found works before parting with my money.

voo
Forum Regular
Sep 19, 2008, 04:46 PM

Did you ever have success with it?

I have it working with a WAG325N as well as a DG834N, and neither of those are on that list. As long as your router has UPnP/enabled and UDP 5353 and 4500 ports forwarded, log out of mobile me then back in and all will be fine.

Forum Links
Forum Rules