Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Mac Mini processor upgrade in my future?

Mac Mini processor upgrade in my future?
soonlar
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 10, 2006, 10:45 PM

Hi all,
I recently bought a new Mac Mini (late 2006 model) with 1.6 Core Duo, 512mb, 60gb HD. It is great so far, and seems decent enough for now speed wise but needs a ram upgrade really bad (I have 1gb on order). I use my Mac for handling all of my kids/family photos (about 100+ a month). I also use it for my music collection, Word Excel docments and web browsing.

I was just wondering if anyone knows if it is possible to upgrade my Mac Mini Core Duo in the future to a newer faster Core Duo processor, maybe even the newer Core2 Duo's in the future when they become more abundant and cheaper?

If it would handled a processor upgrade would I have to worry about heat problems?

Thanks for your thoughts on this...
iPhone 4gb
Mac Mini Core Duo 1.66ghz
iPod Mini Silver 4gb
<Looking to purchase the new 24" iMac 2.8ghz core2 extreme>

HazMacFan
Oct 11, 2006, 02:08 AM

Originally Posted by soonlar
Hi all,
I recently bought a new Mac Mini (late 2006 model) with 1.6 Core Duo, 512mb, 60gb HD. It is great so far, and seems decent enough for now speed wise but needs a ram upgrade really bad (I have 1gb on order). I use my Mac for handling all of my kids/family photos (about 100+ a month). I also use it for my music collection, Word Excel docments and web browsing.

I was just wondering if anyone knows if it is possible to upgrade my Mac Mini Core Duo in the future to a newer faster Core Duo processor, maybe even the newer Core2 Duo's in the future when they become more abundant and cheaper?

If it would handled a processor upgrade would I have to worry about heat problems?

Thanks for your thoughts on this...

It has been done in the past just to see if its technically possible. The cost and the fact that you void your warranty might stop most people from doing it though. The CoreDuo is not soldered so it can be removed and the new Merom (Core2Duo) chips can fit with no increase in heat dissipation.

Apple Core Solo to Core Duo upgrade. - XtremeSystems Forums
24" iMac 2.8 C2Ext,15" MBPro 2.2 C2D,20" iMac 2.0 G5,12" iBook 1.2 G4
16GB 3G iPhone, 60GB 5th Gen iPod, 20 GB 3rd Gen iPod

Forum Links
Forum Rules