Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Powerbook 5xx LCD screen problems...

Powerbook 5xx LCD screen problems...
cwashii
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 19, 2002, 09:18 PM

My Powerbook 520c was working fine UNTIL one evening when I decided to transfer some files via SCSI Disk Mode from a Powermac...

...now, HOW WAS I TO KNOW Powerbook 5xx's did not terminate themselves?!? >:-(

After the SCSI Disk Mode attempt failed (the PB was not seen by the desktop/did not mount), the 520c's LCD screen started displaying only a rich dark blue screen (with a very tiny, slim line across the horizontal middle) whenever it was turned on.

I then connected my 520c up to my 15" desktop monitor, and these were the results:

-I turned it on; the 520c's LCD was blue, as usual, BUT THE MONITOR was blank as well. Not dark blue like the LCD; it looked the same as when it works properly.... when the screen 1st comes on before U see the Smiling Mac, then the "Welcome" box? Just no smiling little mac and "welcome" box...

-Then, I DISCONNECTED THE LCD screen from the 520c. The monitor now worked fine, started up & started displaying the 520c's operations!

Did this back & forth, again & again.... same results.

Please 'splain...

Craig W.
-------
Craig W.
Mac Proud (1985-) in Houston Texas
Current Toys: Performa 578 & 6115/G3, PowerMac 6100/G3, 7300/200, 7600/200, 7300/200, 7600/233, 7500/132 ... 4 Duo Docks, Three Powerbook Duo 280c's, two Turtle Doves.... AND I still use my Newton 120 daily !!)

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Sep 21, 2002, 02:17 PM

That doesn't make any sense.

As for SCSI disk mode: I believe the PowerBook is in fact terminated, there is an internal terminator. Were you using the right cable? Was the ID number set properly such as to not conflict?

As for the screen problem: "Disconnect the LCD"?!? I sincerely hope you don't mean that you cracked open your PowerBook and unplugged the internal display!

In any case, try resetting your PRAM and power manager .

Then describe in detail what's going on.

tooki

Forum Links
Forum Rules