Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > iTunes: navigating index marks on Audio CDs

iTunes: navigating index marks on Audio CDs
miawj
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 5, 2005, 05:36 AM

Does iTunes understand index marks on Audio CDs? Are there plug-in controller widgets that offer a double set of controls to skip to the next index or the next track?
( Last edited by miawj; Apr 5, 2005 at 05:53 AM. )

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Apr 5, 2005, 06:27 AM

Index-marks?

Note that I have had two beers, but the two topics you just posted make little sense to me.

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Apr 5, 2005, 07:51 PM

I'm pretty sure iTunes doesn't support index marks. They're so rarely used that most CD players, standalone or as software, don't have the controls.

tooki

miawj  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 6, 2005, 06:26 AM

Erik, index marks are subdivisions of tracks. Mostly used to split long pieces of classical music. In the olden days, when CD players were bigger than betamax recorders and remote controls had larger footprints than keyboards, manufacturers did bother to support such things.

I've got a bunch of radio programmes that I want to split up thusly:

Intro ^ SONG 1 ^ extro about 1 ^ intro to song 2 ^ SONG 2 ^ general natter ^ SONG 3

I want to use track marks at the beginning of each song and then index marks at the end of each song and between intro and extro chatter. I could then choose to use normal track navigation to play just the songs and skip the discussion or use index navigation to go from commentary to commentary. But I suspect I ought to move this off to an audio programming forum.

OwlBoy
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 6, 2005, 07:08 AM

These sound like a cool idea, but maybe too confusing for your average user.

Thats prolly why they did not catch on.

-Owl

Forum Links
Forum Rules