Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Need Help On Powerbook Selection

Need Help On Powerbook Selection
FoRCE ANGEL
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 20, 2005, 12:06 AM

Alright, I'm a sophmore at a 4-A school in Texas, and I've always been into technology (not nerd like, I just think its kool to have kool toys). And I have recently become interested in apple after I purchased a 4g 20gb Ipod, My dads work is about 2 blocks away from a compUSA and I recently started going there because their was nothing else to do. And so I started messing around w/ Mac OS X and found how much better it is than Windows XP. So now my parents are going to help me purchase one because Ive wanted a laptop for ages.

Alright my needs are: Little Gaming (Doom 3, Halo, etc.), Big into music, I dont want a superdrive because I dont want to make DVDs, Max Portability (student DUH), web browsing, tons of AIM, and nice HD space.

Ive been thinking the 15in 1.5 w/ student discount

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!

asodamiac
Senior User
Apr 20, 2005, 12:42 AM

some people with pb's said that halo was a little laggy on their systems. here's a link:

http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.php?t=251688

the 15" is probably the best bet for what youre looking for. for gaming, you should look through that link and see what other people have to say. i still think pc's were made for gaming. i've never used a g5 though, but theyre kind of pricey. good luck.
15" Powerbook G4 | 1.67, 1.5gb, 128VRAM, SD
20" iMac | 2.66, 2gb, HD 2600
Dell 2408WFP

FoRCE ANGEL  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 20, 2005, 08:35 AM

ehh, gamings not really that important to me (I have an Xbox w/ Live Account). And I have completly shunned the pc world Once you go Mac you dont go back.

mishakim
Forum Regular
Apr 20, 2005, 09:06 AM

I'll second the 15" powerbook, but add that you should go for the superdrive -- macs tend to have a much longer life expectancy than PCs, and a system you buy now will still be serving you well at least a couple of years into college (or whoever you pass it on to if you upgrade). Once you've got several years of data, apps, and music on it, being able to burn DVDs for backup will be very useful. Depending on what you study, it may also be good for burning presentations for classes, which is an increasingly popular requirement in higher ed, and maybe even high school.

Forum Links
Forum Rules