Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > iChat, Jabber and MSN

iChat, Jabber and MSN
MacPino
Forum Regular
Apr 28, 2005, 11:44 AM

I consider myself a quite advanced computer user. Know my way around macs and pc's, and on the internet. But I've been busy for the last two hours getting Tiger iChat to work with msn through Jabber, without any luck.

Does anybody have it working? on which server? what do you fill in where? in other words: Could somebody post me a nice step-by-step how-to for connecting iChat and MSN? thanks!
proud daddy!

Severed Hand of Skywalker
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 28, 2005, 11:53 AM

I would like to know the same thing. I can't even figure out how to get a jabber account.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

ntt
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 28, 2005, 01:21 PM

Jabber is a bit awkward to setup.
I believe you first download a jabber-specific client, choose a server, and then use the client to create an account.
Then you quit that app and enter your details into iChat and log in.
http://bestbits.ii.net/ for widgets and more

Sophus
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005, 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by MacPino
I consider myself a quite advanced computer user. Know my way around macs and pc's, and on the internet. But I've been busy for the last two hours getting Tiger iChat to work with msn through Jabber, without any luck.

Does anybody have it working? on which server? what do you fill in where? in other words: Could somebody post me a nice step-by-step how-to for connecting iChat and MSN? thanks!
I have set up iChat to work with MSN through a free Jabber server. Works well, but it was somewhat difficult to configure the Jabber server settings for the account. I used the server at mail2web.com. The site has instructions, although not exactly intuitive. Works great when running though!

I'm happy to be able to ditch MSN

analogika
Posting Junkie
Apr 28, 2005, 03:21 PM

Apparently, it works as follows:

1) look through the servers at www.jabber.org/network and pick one that offers the services you want

iChat doesn't offer setting up a new jabber account, so you need to download a client that does (you only need to use it once):

2) download PSi: http://psi.affinix.com/?page=download
(I tried Gush, but it hung and generally seemed like a total piece of ****)

3) open Psi, then choose a new user name ([email protected]) , click the "Register new account" checkbox, and continue.

4) choose a password

5) in iChat, open the Jabber window from the Window menu. It will prompt you to enter your account info.

6) Do so.

Done.

MacPino  (op)
Forum Regular
Apr 28, 2005, 04:20 PM

Got it working! using psi I made a free account @ jabber.xs4all.nl (sorry, only in dutch, but other services should work).

Then you have to add the msn service in psi. Fill in your @hotmail, it will add all your msn contacts (probably works the same for yahoo! contacts, but I don't have an account there).

quit psi. open ichat. login with the username from the jabber service. voila! msn contacts in ichat. only drawback is that you don't get file transfers, I'm afraid.

If enough people are interested I could make a visual guide with some screenshots, just ask!
proud daddy!

Stecchino
Forum Regular
Apr 28, 2005, 04:27 PM

If enough people are interested I could make a visual guide with some screenshots, just ask!

Go for it. It could be quite useful for a bunch of people, especially with Tiger coming out to the REST of the world tomorrow.

Addicted to MacNN
Apr 28, 2005, 05:57 PM

quit psi. open ichat. login with the username from the jabber service. voila! msn contacts in ichat. only drawback is that you don't get file transfers, I'm afraid.

I thought some servers allowed it.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

analogika
Posting Junkie
Apr 28, 2005, 06:20 PM

yes, some servers allow it.

check the jabber.org list I posted above for available services.

Sophus
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005, 07:30 PM

A nice FAQ for those struggeling:

http://missig.org/julian/blog/2005/04/28/jabber-faq/

Sophus

MacPino  (op)
Forum Regular
Apr 28, 2005, 08:04 PM

I've made a big howto for connecting iChat to the MSN network using Jabber. You can find it at:

http://www2.hku.nl/~rogier9/jabberhowto/index.html

I could still use some help with the file-transfer part. Don't have that working as of yet.
proud daddy!

MacPino  (op)
Forum Regular
Apr 29, 2005, 09:36 AM

***shameless bump***

did anybody get file-transfer working?
proud daddy!

Stecchino
Forum Regular
Apr 29, 2005, 10:16 AM

I've made a big howto for connecting iChat to the MSN network using Jabber. You can find it at:

I could still use some help with the file-transfer part. Don't have that working as of yet.

Nice walkthrough, MacPino. Thanks for taking the time.

Addicted to MacNN
Apr 29, 2005, 10:40 AM

I added a server that is supposed to support MSN file transfers but it still doesn't do jack.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

MacPino  (op)
Forum Regular
Apr 29, 2005, 12:50 PM

I added a server that is supposed to support MSN file transfers but it still doesn't do jack.
It isn't supposed to do jack, it's supposed to transfer msn messages

but seriously: Have you used the jabber.xs4all.nl server I used? It's free for all!

edit: sorry, I misread; you were talking about the file transfers, not the standard chatting. I'm stupid. Thank you.
proud daddy!

rasmusnet
Forum Regular
Apr 29, 2005, 03:04 PM

Does this make video-conferensing possible when connecting iChat to MSN using this Jabber??

I would seriously like to know if this is possible in any way? (with or without Jabber or in some other way)

Does anybody know???
Bstrgds, Rasmusnet

MacPino  (op)
Forum Regular
Apr 29, 2005, 04:02 PM

Does this make video-conferensing possible when connecting iChat to MSN using this Jabber??

I would seriously like to know if this is possible in any way? (with or without Jabber or in some other way)

Does anybody know???
This doesn't give you video- or audiochat. As far as I know the only way to do cross-platform video is with AOL messenger (windows) together with iChat (mac), I don't have any experience with that. Yahoo! messenger also does cross-platform video, but in my experience it's more like watching a photo every two seconds.

There are, however, some open-source linux projects underway to make msn videochat possible on Linux, it's only a matter of time until that reaches the mac open-source clients. Offcourse you could always do cross-platform audio, but no video, with skype, which works like a charm.
proud daddy!

Spliff
Mac Elite
Apr 29, 2005, 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by analogika
yes, some servers allow it.

check the jabber.org list I posted above for available services.
Strange, several days ago I read a post from one of the Jabber people that MSN file transfers were not yet supported. I'll see if I can find that post.

Stecchino
Forum Regular
Apr 29, 2005, 06:38 PM

For those that are Jabber-savvy, now that I've set up an account, is there a quick fix I can make in iChat so that I can use my Jabber account with a VOIP router?

I use Lingo for my business phone and in iChat for AIM, all I had to do was change the port from the default to 5191 and AIM works fine, text, audio, and video.

Is there a port I can change in the jabber settings to make my setup work as well?

zerock
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 30, 2005, 09:34 AM

hmm i was wondering if i could see buddy icons of msn users thru jabber??

Zimphire
Baninated
May 1, 2005, 02:50 PM

Wow thanks, if I can get this to work, this might replace Adium for me as my default IM app.

Zimphire
Baninated
May 1, 2005, 03:08 PM

Ugh, is there anyway to include the Jabber list into the Buddy list do you only have to use one window?

Zimphire
Baninated
May 1, 2005, 03:21 PM

Well all the contacts showed up. But even though some were online, it didn't show them as such.

That and I could get a message from anyone on Jabber. But could send them.

Odd.

analogika
Posting Junkie
May 1, 2005, 03:39 PM

Yeah. AIM via Jabber is flaky at best as well.

brutal
Mac Enthusiast
May 18, 2005, 11:57 AM

any news on file-transfers? I see some servers offer "File transfer proxy", but does it work?

Angus_D
Addicted to MacNN
May 18, 2005, 12:43 PM

Just use Adium!

brutal
Mac Enthusiast
May 18, 2005, 01:05 PM

No.
Adium has started bugging up on me - and after crashing 3 times in one minute, I decided to check out iChat instead.
( Last edited by brutal; May 18, 2005 at 01:46 PM. )

Fonzie
Grizzled Veteran
May 20, 2005, 09:49 AM

sorry to bump this thread but does anyone know of any Jabber servers that supports buddy icons for MSN ?
I use a danish one and there aren't support for those.
There's No Offposition On the Genius Switch - David Letterman

Zimphire
Baninated
May 21, 2005, 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by brutal
No.
Adium has started bugging up on me - and after crashing 3 times in one minute, I decided to check out iChat instead.

Good luck with that. Jabber in iChat is even buggier.

Having said that, I haven't had Adium crash on me in a long time.

What sucks is, I've been waiting A LONG time for iChat to support multiple protocols.

And when it finally did, it really sucked at it.

Here is hoping the next version of iChat does it better.

Or jabber gets improved.

Thing is, I have used other Jabber clients and they work like they should.

I think it's Apple's implementation of it.

Half the time I don't get messages from people on MSN, half the time people on Yahoo don't get my messages when using the iChat/Jabber thing.

And the fact that you have to have a completely different IM window list open for Jabber is really obnoxious.

Might as well have two apps open.

brutal
Mac Enthusiast
May 21, 2005, 09:54 PM

I agree. iChats Jabber-support isn't very good. However, Adium still crashes on me all the time, and I've tried deleting all prefs and making a clean reinstall and everything. Maybe it's Growl that screws it all up - because Adium seems to only crash whenever I get a new initial message or a background message.

Anyway it's really REALLY annoying.

Catfish_Man
Mac Elite
May 21, 2005, 10:37 PM

For the people with lots of Adium crashes, if you could pm me the IM name or email you used when submitting a crash report, I could have a look.

Zimphire
Baninated
May 22, 2005, 12:43 AM

Yeah, I don't get crashes from Adium at all anymore.

Weird.

I messed with Jabber again today. It does MSN just fine.

But sucks at Yahoo. And I have a lot of friends and co-workers on Yahoo.

So It's Adium I stick with until Jabber or iChat gets fixed.

Forum Links
Forum Rules