Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Mail 2.0 won't send

Mail 2.0 won't send
holderlin
May 1, 2005, 11:20 AM

It won't send mail. It won't go to outbox; a draft doesn't go to drafts. When I test send to myself - nothing. I type the e-mail and when I hit send it just vanishes! Also, I can't close Mail without force quitting? I'm running Tiger.

As always, help appreciated.

Bob

Krypton
Mac Elite
May 1, 2005, 01:30 PM

Sounds like your copy of Mail didn't upgrade itself properly (I was having similar symptoms) - if you had any Mail bundles installed such as GrowlMail or HTTPMail plug-in those are likely the cause, as in my case.

Solution: use a back up of your mail folder and prefs if you have one, and disable bundles before replacing your existing Mail (in ~/Library/Mail) folder and mail prefs with the backup.

Or, if you have no back-up disable bundles and then delete the file called 'Envelope' in the Mail folder.

Bernardo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 1, 2005, 02:47 PM

Just upgraded to Tiger and in the process I decided to leave Entourage behind and move to Mail 2.0, primarily to take advantage of Spotlight's indexing.

I can receive mail just fine from my .mac and work POP accounts, but I can't send to any of them. In fact, clicking on New Message or Reply does nothing.

My SMTP settings are OK. The SMTP server is recognized. Any help in doping this out will be very welcome!

Krypton
Mac Elite
May 1, 2005, 04:59 PM

In the outgoing pane specify your entire email address instead of just your username, worked for me.

Bernardo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 1, 2005, 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by Krypton
In the outgoing pane specify your entire email address instead of just your username, worked for me.
Hmmm.... which pane? You mean edit the server so that the SMTP server includes my email address? My SMTP server doesn't require authentication (I don't think).

I'm about to switch back to Entourage, having spent hours cleaning up my mailboxed on Mail. This sucks.

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
May 1, 2005, 06:19 PM

Did you run "Connection Doctor" under the Window menu item? Sometimes it will give a more detailed explanation about what's going wrong.

Maury
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my bandmy web sitemy guitar effectsmy photosfacebookbrightpoint

holderlin  (op)
May 1, 2005, 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by Bernardo
Just upgraded to Tiger and in the process I decided to leave Entourage behind and move to Mail 2.0, primarily to take advantage of Spotlight's indexing.

I can receive mail just fine from my .mac and work POP accounts, but I can't send to any of them. In fact, clicking on New Message or Reply does nothing.

My SMTP settings are OK. The SMTP server is recognized. Any help in doping this out will be very welcome!
Krypton's advice worked for me! User/Library/Mail/Bundles. Delete what's in Bundles. I restarted and everything worked like a charm.

Bob

Bernardo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 1, 2005, 07:13 PM

Bundles? We don't have no steenking bundles! Maybe that's the problem.

This is what my Mail directory looks like. Is something amiss?

Fillman
Forum Regular
May 1, 2005, 11:32 PM

Originally Posted by Krypton
Sounds like your copy of Mail didn't upgrade itself properly (I was having similar symptoms) - if you had any Mail bundles installed such as GrowlMail or HTTPMail plug-in those are likely the cause, as in my case.

Solution: use a back up of your mail folder and prefs if you have one, and disable bundles before replacing your existing Mail (in ~/Library/Mail) folder and mail prefs with the backup.

Or, if you have no back-up disable bundles and then delete the file called 'Envelope' in the Mail folder.
Krypton; You've just saved my sanity! I had the JunkMatcher.mailbundle installed and Mail hadn't updated correctly. I trashed the bundle and restarted Mail. It also fixed the problem that Mail wouldn't quit without a force quit.

My symptoms were that connection to my Exchange server seemed perfect and mailboxes showed the correct number of unread messages but there were no mail messages to be seen in the viewer window. Now it's perfect!
- Earth First - We'll mine the rest of the planets later

Krypton
Mac Elite
May 2, 2005, 04:04 AM

Originally Posted by Bernardo
Hmmm.... which pane? You mean edit the server so that the SMTP server includes my email address? My SMTP server doesn't require authentication (I don't think).

I'm about to switch back to Entourage, having spent hours cleaning up my mailboxed on Mail. This sucks.
Preferences -> Accounts -> 'Your Account' -> Account information -> Server Settings

Where it says username, try inputting your entire email address, not just the bit before the @.

Bernardo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 2, 2005, 09:53 AM

Tried that, no difference. Also threw away the envelope file from the Mail folder in the Library and let Mail reconstruct it. Still the problelm persists.

I think what's ailing me is different from what some of the others are describing. When I click on New Message or Reply, exactly nothing happens. It isn't that I can write something but it doesn't get sent; instead no window opens up that would allow me to write. It's as if there's invisible duct tape stuck over the buttons.

Thanks for taking the time to help, though.

Krypton
Mac Elite
May 2, 2005, 10:27 AM

Tried deleting Mail's prefs?

Bernardo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 4, 2005, 10:24 AM

Did that. No joy.

Forum Links
Forum Rules