Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Can't install OS 9 in Tiger

Can't install OS 9 in Tiger
HamSandwich
May 12, 2005, 03:14 PM

I have a 1.25 GHz Power Mac G4 which is OS 9 bootable (one of the last Macs to do so). When I did an Erase and Install for Tiger, I could not install OS 9 anymore from my Software Install and Restore disc that came with my Mac. There was not even an option to use Classic in the System Preferences panel. I had to erase Tiger, reinstall Panther in order to install OS 9 and then install Tiger after that before I could use Classic or boot into OS 9. (I still have some stubborn OS 9 apps that will not work in Classic--they only work when I'm booted into OS 9...)

Why is this? Do I need a newer Software Install and restore Disc with OS 9 on it? If so, where can I get it and how much does it cost? Or should I just be content to do it the long way: install Panther first, then OS 9/Classic, and then Tiger?

HamSandwich
May 13, 2005, 01:12 AM

I guess no one uses Classic/OS 9 much anymore...

Bogartte
Forum Regular
May 13, 2005, 02:16 AM

Perhaps, if you are content to do a complete re-install... meaning, erase everything, and then partition your hard drive in two, installing OS 9 on one and Tiger on the other. Then you should be able to use the startup disk preference to boot back and forth.

HamSandwich
May 13, 2005, 08:28 AM

If I try that, do I just delete all the OS X stuff (ie., Panther) from the OS 9 partition once it's installed, leaving only the System Folder (OS 9), and the Applications (Mac OS 9) folder? I never thought of that. Would I be able to use Classic mode in addition to booting into OS 9 once in a while? I guess I'll try it this weekend and find out. Thanks!

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
May 13, 2005, 08:36 AM

If you can find a valid OS 9 system folder some place, just copy it to your drive and you'll have Classic.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

legacyb4
Mac Elite
May 13, 2005, 10:40 AM

Yup, if you have an older OS X disc that came with your computer, you can find the OS 9 .dmg folder sitting somewhere in a .directory out of sight.

Mount that .dmg and you can simply drag-copy over a fresh Classic environment.

Cheers.

Originally Posted by Big Mac
If you can find a valid OS 9 system folder some place, just copy it to your drive and you'll have Classic.
Macbook (Black) C2D/250GB/3GB | G5/1.6 250GBx2/2.0GB
Free Mobile Ringtone & Games Uploader | Flickr | Twitter

Spook E
Mac Enthusiast
May 22, 2005, 07:50 PM

I tried looking through the following disc's:

The Panther disc that came with my Powerbook
The system disc that came with the iMac
The Tiger disc

I couldnt find the classic.dmg or classic.pkg file using pacifist, anyone able to throw a little (spot)light on where i can find the classic install package?

Bogartte
Forum Regular
May 22, 2005, 10:03 PM

Asmack, when you partition into two partitions, install OS X on one partition, then install OS 9 on the other half, if you have a copy of OS 9. This should give you OS X which includes the classic on one partion, and a complete OS 9 on the other partition.

You should be able to boot into either one via the startup disk, plus having the ability of using classic when in OS X.

Anyone, correct me if I'm wrong on this. Or if there is a better solution?

legacyb4
Mac Elite
May 22, 2005, 11:15 PM

On the 10.2 disc that came with my Powerbook 12"/1Ghz, it's in:

/Volumes/PowerBook G4 Software/.images/OS9General.dmg

Cheers.

Originally Posted by Spook E
I tried looking through the following disc's:

The Panther disc that came with my Powerbook
The system disc that came with the iMac
The Tiger disc

I couldnt find the classic.dmg or classic.pkg file using pacifist, anyone able to throw a little (spot)light on where i can find the classic install package?
Macbook (Black) C2D/250GB/3GB | G5/1.6 250GBx2/2.0GB
Free Mobile Ringtone & Games Uploader | Flickr | Twitter

JMII
Forum Regular
May 23, 2005, 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by Bogartte
Asmack, when you partition into two partitions, install OS X on one partition, then install OS 9 on the other half, if you have a copy of OS 9. This should give you OS X which includes the classic on one partion, and a complete OS 9 on the other partition.

You should be able to boot into either one via the startup disk, plus having the ability of using classic when in OS X.
Correct

This is how my system at work is set up. If you hold the down the option key at start-up you can pick which OS you want to boot into. It's like having two computers one with OSX and one with OS9.

My system at home is a little different - it has OS9 stored on an external Firewire so when I need Classic I just turn on that drive on and tell Classic to startup from the OSX System Preference.

cgc
Professional Poster
May 23, 2005, 10:28 AM

I have the original 9.x install discs and cannot install them in Tiger either. I changed my drives to unhournaled and nogo. Frustrating, but I just wanted to goof off in 9 again.

Forum Links
Forum Rules